Deer baiting

Naturegirlfromny

i was behind a guy in line at gander he was getting his hunting license and had a cart full of acorn rage stuff, i asked him where he planned to use it if he was going out of state or something he said no he puts it under his stand and rakes it into the ground under the leaves, twigs and dirt so it doesnt look suspicious to anyone who might come walking through..... i didnt say anything in response, i held it in, nothing good would have come out of it.

doesnt make any sense that because we have deer farms in new york that stores should be allowed to sell it. i doubt any deer farmer even uses whats sold in stores, guarantee its a home blend of feed. if so why would anyone even waste the money on bait, youd have to be about as bright as the lady who wants to move the deer crossing signs to buy bait to use on farmed deer.

They could never stop selling it to people. The feed stores sell corn and sweetfeed to farmers for livestock. How do you expect them to stop selling it. Apple orchards sell bins of apples. Its a multi billion dollar industry. Wake up people..................

• Like 1

Its amazing to see the amount of responses these deer baiting threads get, especially here in NY where the law is cut n dry, baiting is not allowed.

That being said it amazes me how you will never hear a single poster say hes a baiter but it seems everyone hates them and would like to see them hung and its only a few bad apples or a very small percentage of the NY hunter population that would do this.

Then i wonder why the local Tractor Supply and Agway cant keep enough 50 lbs bags of corn on the shelves this time of year and how sales drop off dramatically after the holidays??? Is it just that the local livestock gets hungrier in the fall?? Funny the month of May seems to have an effect on the local livestocks appetite also??

Edited by sits in trees
  • Like 2

Its amazing to see the amount of responses these deer baiting threads get, especially here in NY where the law is cut n dry, baiting is not allowed.

That being said it amazes me how you will never hear a single poster say hes a baiter but it seems everyone hates them and would like to see them hung and its only a few bad apples or a very small percentage of the NY hunter population that would do this.

Then i wonder why the local Tractor Supply and Agway cant keep enough 50 lbs bags of corn on the shelves this time of year and how sales drop off dramatically after the holidays??? Is it just that the local livestock gets hungrier in the fall?? Funny the month of May seems to have an effect on the local livestocks appetite also??

very true

Was In a store the other day to buy some dog food,everybody there had a big smile on there face,i asked hows business as a joke the said very good,they were almost out of hole kernel and cracked corn.

The DEC website had a post on how many people were caught baiting the beginning of the hunting season.

That not true at all! Its illegal in more states than it is legal. Don't make blanket statements that aren't true and contribute nothing.

Yeah I was flipping through the channels today and a hunting show came on and they were talking about baiting. The guy/host? said that baiting is only legal in 14 states. Switched it off after that, those shows tend to tick me off.

Edited by ants

I took my bow hunter course in the beginning of September. The instructor said multiple times that he has pushed for baiting to be legalized for years. He never came out and admitted to baiting but it was a topic he kept bringing up. He also stated he used to have a DEC officer sit in on his classes and the DEC officer would inform the classes that 98% of the deer shot in their county and our county were shot over bait and if "caught" them baiting they would be fined. Then the DEC officer would tell them how his neighbor dropped a ton of carrots in plain view every year but he never "saw" him hunt near it. This will be my third year of tag soup if don't get one and the thought of baiting has crossed my mind but I still haven't sunk that low and probably never will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

There is a ton of bait already in the woods. I hunt over and under bait all the time. I got ridge tops chuck full of acorns, flats loaded with beach nut old farm lands invaded by crab apples. The best part is mother nature puts it out there for me and it dont cost me a dime.

• Like 1

Just my opinion...I live in NJ...Baiting has been legal for over 15 years now...I have noticed that many hunters now rely on baiting to attract deer. They have lost or have never learned how to truly hunt...They walk in the woods, see some sign and drop a couple hundred pounds of bait and hang a stand...Does it work, yes they kill deer. Usually does and smaller bucks...I have seen bait sites in the middle of oak flats with acorns raining from the canopy...This past weekend I almost fell out of my treestand when a feeder went off about 60 yds away...Someone put a feeder in the middle of a bedding thicket...No wonder I didnt see any good bucks...

My point is, after many years of allowing baiting...We are seeing more and more hunters who have become reliant on baiting to kill deer...They believe it is the only way to kill deer on a regular basis...The baiters arguments are in suburban areas it draws deer to areas that they can legally hunt... While others cry that they need to use bait because everyone else is using it and changing the travel/feeding patterns..

I do not bait deer...There have been a few exceptions, Wounded Warriors hunt where I was a host and a couple of managed deer cull hunts in suburban neighborhoods...

Does baiting have its place, in some instances I believe it does...Do I think it is necessary to successfully deer hunt...NO...I hope NY never allows baiting...