Deer baiting

Naturegirlfromny

I was in walmart today. Got two dmp for 7h. Now I need to get down there lol. Anyway there was a guy at the counter. He talked to the girl at the sporting goods counter and she reached under and pulled up two bags of the ground up sugar beet stuff. He paid for it and left. On the shelf there was four bags of deer cain concentrate and 2 gallons of deer cain already mixed. Last week there was none. More of a market than you would think.

fine. you got me. but if you'd rather use a bow or xbow while others have shotguns/rifles or smoke polls, be my guest.

I know properties where the owners won't let firearms in. Perfect cross bow useage. Besides we weren't discussing the merits of the crossbow, we were discussing your comment that it was illegal. Which it isn't

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

snapback.pngCulvercreek hunt club, on 02 November 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Sure ISN"T illegal for late archery

Experienced hunters know that. :biggrin:

Well to get just a bit nit-picky...that statement is wrong...they are still illegal for late archery IF you are not carrying a Muzzle loading permit/license

Back to the baiting....NYODN has an article about it...so you guys in Sullivan county are good to go...but everyone else is still banned...unless there are those willing to "take one for the team" in your county and fight it...lol...No comment on a possible appeal from the DEc...900 arrests for this have been made

http://www.dec.ny.go...tdoor/8305.html

It is unlawful to hunt big game with:

• A firearm or bow aided by any artificial light or a laser that projects a beam toward the target.
  • An autoloading firearm with a capacity of more than 6 shells (one which requires that the trigger be pulled separately for each shot), except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than 8 inches.
  • A firearm using rimfire ammunition.
  • A shotgun of less than 20 gauge or any shotgun loaded with shells other than those carrying a single projectile.
  • A bow with a draw weight of 35 lbs or less.
  • Arrows with barbed broadheads; arrowheads less than 7/8 inches at the widest point or with less than 2 sharp cutting edges.
  • Dogs.
  • Aircraft of any kind.
  • Bait.

Where's the sullivan county exception?

Edited by Belo

I think grow is reffering to the court case in said county that went in the way of the defendent who was accused of baiting. The court found the laws on baiting too vague and therfore unconstitutional somehow. Im not a lawyer and dont know how it was exactly put i dont have the material infront of me, but thats basically what i gathered from it.

.... of course, peanut gallery, correct me if im wrong

• Like 1

Walked past a stand that was just put up the other day on some land I hunt on. Block of somekind of bait sitting under it. I took the liberty of helping this guy keep it legal and kicked it all the way down to the bottom of the hill about 200 yrds right into the ditch.

Sooooo , are you gonna hunt the ditch ? B) ... B) ... B)

• Haha 1

Sooooo , are you gonna hunt the ditch ? B) ... B) ... B)

Wont need to, Im hoping the cars will just pile them up for me as they eat the block out of the ditch. I find it to be more efficient this way. Yeah you lose a little meat but the numbers should make up for it. Its about 20 yrds down the road from my driveway to so the drag isnt that bad to the skinnin tree :spiteful:

• Like 1

I think it would be easier to just dig a pit, fill it with pungy stakes, cover, place apples on top and when deer go to eat the apples they impale themselves after falling in said pit. All you have to do is just check ever so often. Just dont forget where you put them. Cong style!! :biggrin:

Edited by erussell
  • Like 2

I just finished up my Apple blind. Its made of bamboo stakes with apples stacked on all of them. Can't wait to try it out in a few days. Best part is, if I get hungry, I just turn my head and chomp!

honestly, unless there's an apple orchard nearby you're introducing foreign scents to the area and while you might suck in some young deer i think this will deter the mature deer.

• 3 months later...