Slug Guns - What do you shoot? What works best?

I shoot a smooth bore 12ga Remy 870 xpress. I get the best consistency with Winchester 2 3/4'' rifled slugs (plain jane). I hope to upgrade to a rifled barrel or a completely new gun by next season. I hear good things about Hastings and Tarhunt. What I'd like to know is what everyones experience is with slug gun setups?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My current slug gun is a Mossberg 500 20 ga with a rifled barrel and Bushnell 1.5 - 4 scope. I found that it shoots Remington Copper Solid sabot slugs best. It has sent many deer to my freezer. It was my very first gun and Im going to be restoring it and setting it aside to pass down to my daughter when shes big enough.

I havent decided what or if I will get another slug gun. I can use my TC Encore handgun anywhere and its alot less expensive to shoot.

Back in 1969, I bought a brand new 12 guage Ithaca Deerslayer. That's all I have used since. I have no idea just how many deer I have taken with that thing, but the venison would probably be measured in tons. Nothing special about the gun ........ just adequate.

Doc

Doc, my uncle bought a used Ithaca Deerslayer when he was 18 and hasn't used another shotgun since.  That was over 30 years ago.  He describes it the same way, adequate.  I feel the same way about my Remington 870.  It is not flashy, it isn't light, it isn't the pinnacle of modern ballistic technology.  But it's tough, reliable, and it gets the job done.  It's probably the only slug gun I'll ever use, until I hand it down to my future children that is.  Even then, I'll probably just buy another 870!

I have a Wichester model 120 .20 gauge. I also have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. Funny thing is I tend to carry the 20 more because everytime i carry the 12 I don't see a thing. All the deer I have taken I have taken with the 20.

I've been shooting a Rem. 870(Ole Lucille) for 20 plus years.. smooth bore w/ Brenneke 3" magnums.. Consistent 3" groups at 100 yds. I wouldn't change a thing..

My Remington 1100 with a smoth bore just LOOOOOVES Brennekes magnum slugs (not those KO things).  I can shoot 5 slugs at 100 yards and get 2-3" groups

Before switching to a rifle, I was shooting a scoped winchester 1300 along with those 1 1/4oz Lightfield slugs. Deadly out to 75 yards!! After that, wouldn't group worth a darn. When they allowed rifles, went to a Tikka T3 lite in a .308. What a dandy gun and a real tack driver too!!

I still use my Winchester 1200 with either the Federal or Winchester super X cheap rifled foster slugs . I bought the gun new in 1965 for $108 and a few years ago I bought a riflied barrel for it for $135 . The farthest I have taken a deer with it is 95 yards .

Since we can use BP during gun season , I prefer to use the inline .

I shoot a Savage 110 bolt gun with camo stock, fully rifled 24" barrel and Nikon Prostaff 2x7 shotgun scope.  It likes the Lightfield sabots the best.  Groups about 2" at 100 yards.  You'll hear great things about a Tarhunt Slug Gun, but the price is way too high for me.

???

Forgot to mention I use this slug gun of mine in NJ as I only hunt rifle areas in NY.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a 28" barreled browning 20ga. using bead front bead sight...and 3" Brenekes...they are the only slug I'll shoot and have gotten the guys to switch...they are shooting 16 ga...

I am a shoulder shooter and have taken most deer at 50-70 but have know problem using my gun rest and dropping a deer at a 100yrds...I've taken several doe and two buck at that distance...they never went more than 30yrds at that distance ...closer and they are down were they are shot.