What broadheads are you shooting...?

Rage 2s, Grizz Tricks and Crimson Talon XTs. I like to switch it up once in a while!  ;)

I was looking into the Crimson Talons.  I've heard the blood trails are amazing but how do they fly?  A buddy of mine at work said he was having serious planing issues past 30 yards.

VO... Well they were on sale...the American broad head 85 gr Buckmasters I won...I've never shot 85 gr before...the Carbon express...I really liked the look of design... as far as cutting surface and 100grs...and the spider mechanical....had a few good on line reviews...though I'm really not sure if 51#'s is heavy enough draw for mechanical?

hhmmm I really was looking for some friendly input.....

These aren't broadheads that you usually hear about.  How did you come to choose between these three?  There is not much too much online about them.

What he said... I've never heard of or used any of those broadheads, but like you said the deciding factor is going to be on how they fly.  If they fly good and have decently sharp blades you shouldn't have any problem if they hit the boiler room.  Just about every broadhead on the market will kill a deer if you put it in the right spot.  My dad killed a doe with Wal-mart brand broadheads on aluminum arrows flying out of a 25 year old compound if you hit the spot it doesn't matter.  The reason I like Rage's isn't just the fact that they fly great for me, but that when they open I have more room for error and a better chance of nicking a main artery if my shot is off.  I tend to shoot farther back on my shots making rage a better choice IMO I have a better chance of taking out the liver and leaving a big wound chanel if I'm even farther back.  If your bad shots tend to be farther forward I would opt for a fixed to handle the bone better.....just my .02

good luck

CNY

Thanks for the reply CNY...well as far as bad shots go...it depends on what direction the deer is headed...for any bad shot would tend to pull to the left...but...that being said...This was when I shot instinctive....since going to the new peepless rear and truglo front sight the only bad practice are a bit low or a bit high of the mark...I also have a new VLR Arc range finder due to arrive in a couple of days...last years doe I took with an on sale cut on contact broad head..100gr...and it went through the shoulder and dropped her in her tracks at 20 yrds.....But I do have concerns about the shooting an 85 gr broad head....won 12 of them....they are the "zero plane" heads...reviews on all these have been good ...so ..4wks of shooting should tell...may just save the 85 as a turkey/yote arrow.......

.."But I do have concerns about the shooting an 85 gr broad head.."

My wife pulls @47# and we use 75gr Muzzy's, last year she put an arrow up the the fletches on a doe. You shouldn't have any issues, but it sounds like you know what you are doing any how. Good luck testing them BH's and let us know how you made out.

• 2 weeks later...

I love them. I never had any blade damage and have taken rib sections clean out. I never lost a blade and I have resharpening them down to a science if I have to (Lansky knife sharpening system works great on removable blades). Repalcements are $20 for 6 blade sets. I shot them and went to mechanicals and after two bad experiences I am right back with them.

I am thinking of trying the Rage 2 blades though...just a little too late to change this year

• 3 weeks later...