Buying a new bow, Some suggestions ?

accman

My son and I have been hunting for eight years now. We bought 2nd hand PSE's when we first started. I had a single cam and Pete had a real old bow, don't know the model, but he can hit a silver dollar at 40 yds with it. He's taken a deer with it every year, except for 1 when he was overseas. Now, I think it's time he gets a new bow, so I talked to his girlfriend, and between herself, her parents, and us, we want to get him a good bow. I figure to buy in the $600 to $999 range, and was thinking of staying with the PSE's or similar. The market is just full of great quality bows between Hoyts, Bow-techs, Matthews, that you just get bombarded with reviews and they all sound great. He mainly hunts from a climber, he's medium frame, 6ft, and shoots with a 60lb draw weight. I understand it's a personal preference, and would be ideally suited if he could try it himself, but I'm just looking for some suggestions as to make, models, pros/cons, and pitfalls. Even the expensive models have some complaints, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm in love with my Mission Riot. Mission is made by Matthews which is guarenteed for a good product. The riot is good for a variety of reasons. It's extremely versitile as it could be used for someone pulling 40lbs or 70lbs. The draw length can also be altered for a variety of people. It has double cams with a very smooth pull over. The accuracy is also another reason why I love this bow. At 40lbs, I'm dead on everytime, at any yardage which says a lot about the bow. Especially for the price, it's hard to go wrong with this bow. Because of it's versitility, it's also beneficial to resell if he ever wants to change or to hand down to his girlfriend, kids, etc. I've also heard very good things about the new Ballistic. Haven't tried it myself but it may be something to look into. Either way, I would highly suggest either a Matthews or Mission, I've never heard any complaints from either...Hope this was helpful and happy hunting!

buy my Hoyt...its the 2011 carbon element with the Fuel cams...it has tthe med cam for up to a 28" draw. PM if interested

EDIT***If not that new Spyder Turbo from hoyt looks like the real deal! I have heard bad things abt the Bowtechs...shot the matthews and loved them

Edited by Carbonelement

Even the expensive models have some complaints, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

My one point of advice is, do not get roped into the "speed" hype. It just costs extra money for doubtful benefits. Most of it is blown way out of proportion with some of it even being flat out lies that apply to nothing with specs that most likely are not realistic for your use.

Oh OK, I have two points of advice .... lol. The 2nd point is to get out and test shoot as many different bows as possible. Get into the touchy-feely aspects of bow performance such as smoothness of draw, noise, shock, etc. Do not be overly influenced by what others consider important, or some of the wild claims that a lot of bowhunters can conjure up about their favorite bow You hit the nail on the head when you said the choices are "personal preference". So if there is anyway that you can arrange it, it would be good if he can become deeply involved in the selection process.

Of course there may even be yet another question to ask. If he can shoot so well with what he already has, are you sure it's time to change? What if it turns out that the bow doesn't perform as well as the old one? Yet another reason to get him involved in the choices. Try before you buy..... always a good idea.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I still promised my 19 yr old daughter I'd get her her own bow, so I'll bring them both up to Cougar Sports, in Ardsley. I know they have used bows, and I'll let my son give her a hand in picking one out. Then, I'll let him try out some of the different bows there. I know their dealers of PSE, Mathews, Mission, and some other ones, and the guys who run it are top notch. It'll cost more than just ordering it or getting it from Gander or Dicks, but I feel for the extra you pay, you also get quality help anytime you need it. I bet he'll go for a Mission Voyager XT, stripped and put on some great bells and whistles. I'd be like a kid in a candy shop man, "Let me try that one, Ooooo, how bout that one.....". More than likely, I'll have to tell him he's getting a bow, (not telling his girlfriend) try them all out, and then he'll have to act surprised as hell when he opens it up!!!! I'll have to say a few more Hail Mary's to get by with that one! ;) Thanks again

I shoot a Diamond Deadeye and love it. I also have a Diamond Black ice that I love as well. Two completely different styles of bows. I used to shoot Hoyt and had no issues with them. A couple guys on here shoot the Obsession lethal force which has received nothing but good reviews. Had I not been in need of a bow a few days before bow season started I would have ordered one. Definitely shoot a bunch! Since price doesn't seem to be an issue, you shouldn't have to settle for anything that isn't a perfect fit. Good luck.

I have an Elite Hunter, and while it's a nice bow, there's a distinct breaking point where the bow lets off. It almost snaps into place. A buddy of mine who shoots a Hoyt Carbon Element tried my bow and he said that would be a deal-breaker for him. I don't mind it, but I've got to say, his bow is SMOOTH. I guess when you pay $1400 it better be...

Elite. I have the pulse.... does everything you expect it to do. Took some time switching to a new bow but now that im comfortable i absolutely love it. Made in ny, best warranty available, fast (@70lb/30"draw/340+fps), quiet, solid, reasonably priced, best "back wall" out of any bow i tried, very easy to draw. They also have the "hunter" model which is worth a look. either way, everybody has their favs, pick your top 5 by research and shoot them all till u find a perfect fit. Id buy another mathews if elite didnt exist.