New to reloading

josephmrtn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Today i took the step..................... I am now an official reloader!!!!! I reloaded 11 rounds of 308. with 42.7 grains of Hogdon H4895 topped off with 150 grain Sierra spitzer boat tail bullets...

fired one off to make an even 10 and am happy to report that when i pulled the trigger it went bang... lol

Atta boy!

Still have all your fingers?

Don't forget the safety glasses & ear protection..............................................................................................

Pics man, pics!

yup i still have em all... +1 on the safety glasses, why ear protection? im not PLANNING on blowing them off... lol

post-2634-0-12482800-1370484847_thumb.jp

post-2634-0-04203700-1370484870_thumb.jp

Sounds familiar..I'm darn near deaf in my left ear and can't hear that well out of my right ear..

Came from shooting too much trap and skeet in my late teens/early twenties WITHOUT hearing  protection....DUH..!!....

Being bulletproof at that age, I thought hearing protection was for GIRLY MEN..

Now I am a half deaf old DUMMY !!

• 4 years later...
11 minutes ago, grampy said:

What a wealth of great info in this thread!!!  I will have a reloading kit by the end of this week. Can't wait to get started!

I'm slowly getting stuff too.  Not sure what you're getting i've figured i'd hold out for a turret vs single stage press.

On 6/11/2013 at 10:07 AM, josephmrtn said:

Oh i thought you meant while im loading the rounds... lol yes i use earplugs

I once had a primer go off while being seated. The tool was pointed away from my face so there were no problem there, but it definitely rang my ears in my small reloading space. I've worn muffs since then because they're always close by anyway and they're pretty easy to grab and wear. They also keep out distractions, to an extent.

1 hour ago, grampy said:

What a wealth of great info in this thread!!!  I will have a reloading kit by the end of this week. Can't wait to get started!

You'll probably find that it's almost as much fun crafting custom ammo as it is shooting it. At least on crappy weather days. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I know someone much closer if you get the dies. 

I am going to take you up on that Bob.  Let me blow some purchased rounds and we can reload the same brass!  Dies are cheap in comparison to the loaded rounds.  Thanks buddy!

2 minutes ago, philoshop said:

You'll probably find that it's almost as much fun crafting custom ammo as it is shooting it. At least on crappy weather days. :rolleyes:

That is exactly what I'm thinking. Right now, until I pick up the kit from Billdogg, this week, I don't even know what I have? Or what I need. I am a complete newby to doing this, and know absolutely nothing. I will be searching here and everywhere, along with reading all I can get my hands on for info. I'm REALLY looking forward to listening to some of the guy's here, that have it all figured out, and have refined all the little things. That may shorten the learning curve for me a bit.

Not sure where I am getting the time for a new hobby. But I am anxious to get started! First thing will be to make a bench, just for reloading, down in the basement. I'm pretty excited! My wife just looks at me and rolls her eyes when I start telling her of my plans.......lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So tempted to join you Grampy, but I don't think I have the time for another hobby!  Enjoy.  I may have to stop by and have you load some 458 socom at some point.  lol

You are welcome to stop by anytime. But it will be awhile before I start putting any rounds out. Bob is one of the guy's I'm looking forward to helping me get started. So no doubt, he will have you covered with the 458's. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, grampy said:

First thing will be to make a bench, just for reloading, down in the basement.

A few years ago I changed out my old reloading benches over to a couple of Harbor Freight woodworker benches, they have to be put together which is a pain and the drawers are not smooth as silk but they work good enough, they are pretty solid and heavy duty they make a wonderful loading bench. I could not be happier and for $129 on sale (which is all the time) the price was right.

I also have a Frankford Arsenal portable loading bench, they are are space saving with folding metal extensions, a good and solid movable piece if space is a concern. I have two presses mounted on mine and just spin it around for which one I am needing to use.

Al

2018-04-02_125722.png

2017-10-04_085108.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1