Whats your Favorite processing equipment?

BfloHunter

my favorite tools for processing are my buck 110 and a quality sharpening steel makes things go a lot easier if you can keep your knife sharp. other than that I use a gander mountain #5 meat grinder it isn't the fastest but it gets the job done. as for jerky I slice some of the meat into 1/8"-1/4" strips as i am cutting everything else up, sausage I just mix the season into some of the burger i already ran through the grinder, most people run a little bit of pork fat through the grinder with their burger they are going to use for sausage but i am lazy and don't mind that it is lean and somewhat dry.

Edited by noahmstone

Do you like the manual or electric versions?

You definitely should go with an electric. My father bought a manual one when I was kid we used it one season and went back to making everything into stew beef. I never used another one until I borrowed my father in laws electric grinder a few years ago now I use it for every deer.

I would look for a bit more power and all metal internals. I recomend going commercial grade, try a kitchen outlet store for a deal.

so the average price of something like that I'm seeing is around $300-$400. Is there anything out there a little cheaper for commercial grade?

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Check a place called Buffalo Hotel Supply, I got a cheap one for @140 a few years back also a member named Culvercreek picked up a real nice one online (from amazon maybe?) for around $200-$300 last year. Actually he got it for free because they smashed it during shipping.

www.buffalohotelsupply.com I deal with these guys threw work so I got a discount but their prices are fair.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i use a bucket loader but any decent a gambrel and rope hoist with pulleys will work.

also need a good sharp knife. i used a lanski pocket knife that's served me well. it's used from field to freezer. also a i use a smith's carbide and ceramic sharpener with "v"s you pull the blade through.

regular surgical gloves are good to keep your hands clean and stuff out from under your nails. also you will knick your fingers at some point.... so a Rapala fillet glove or something similar is a good idea for hand not holding the knife.

meat tubs or pans are handy but in a pinch cheap foil disposable pans also work to separate ground stuff and different cuts.

also you'll need a good electric grinder. i use a commercial Hobart grinder that'll grind a rifle down, but cabelas commerical series grinders are affordable and work great 3/4 horse is all you need. http://www.cabelas.c...80;cat104364180 it's good to have a larger port size 7mm plate to grind once and then a small one 4.5mm to ground through a second time.

sharpie black marker to date and label stuff.

i use 3lb weston ground meat bags for ground venison. they've got markings in 1lb increments on them.

also for everything else a good vaccuum sealer/food saver is a must!!! i used to package in commerical plastic wrap and freezer paper but not anymore. nothing gets freezer burn when i've vaccuum sealed.

.....cutting board and some other obvious stuff too

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

i use a bucket loader but any decent a gambrel and rope hoist with pulleys will work.

also need a good sharp knife. i used a lanski pocket knife that's served me well. it's used from field to freezer. also a i use a smith's carbide and ceramic sharpener with "v"s you pull the blade through.

regular surgical gloves are good to keep your hands clean and stuff out from under your nails. also you will knick your fingers at some point.... so a Rapala fillet glove or something similar is a good idea for hand not holding the knife.

meat tubs or pans are handy but in a pinch cheap foil disposable pans also work to separate ground stuff and different cuts.

also you'll need a good electric grinder. i use a commercial Hobart grinder that'll grind a rifle down, but cabelas commerical series grinders are affordable and work great 3/4 horse is all you need. http://www.cabelas.c...80;cat104364180 it's good to have a larger port size 7mm plate to grind once and then a small one 4.5mm to ground through a second time.

sharpie black marker to date and label stuff.

i use 3lb weston ground meat bags for ground venison. they've got markings in 1lb increments on them.

also for everything else a good vaccuum sealer/food saver is a must!!! i used to package in commerical plastic wrap and freezer paper but not anymore. nothing gets freezer burn when i've vaccuum sealed.

.....cutting board and some other obvious stuff too

Thank you for the detail. It'll definitely help me being new to processing

I picked up a relatively cheap electric grinder last year to start making my own sausage. I did 40 pounds last time and had no issues at all. I even used it to stuff the casings. You can spend more but for a 1 to a few times a year use why?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

I will be picking up a stuffer this year so this may be a purchase soon.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449319_200449319

Next item is good casings...

http://www.makincasing.com/x/home.php

I picked up some plastic tubs to mix meat and spices to set in fridge and already had a vacuum packer which is a must item for any hunter/fisherman.

Then the number one tool the Weber Grill!!