favorite shotgun

monkeyman2269

Stevens Mod. 94 single barrel in 12 ga.  Have killed everything with it except a deer....may give that a whirl this year.

Do you have the model with the opening lever on the starboard side of the reciever, or is it on top of the tang, like most single barrels ?

Mossberg 500 20 gauge ,Got 4 barrels for it. 1 26" vent rib with mod choke, 1 28" vent rib with screw in choke tubes, 1 with rifle sights on it. and a cantilever ported barrel with a 4 power Bushnell scope on it. A few years ago I had a gunsmith drill and put a set screw on the side so would it lock down the barrels tighter in receiver. It worked and now it groups 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds. It also helped tighten up patterns for birdshot. Use it mostly now for rabbit and grouse and spring turkey hunting. Plan on taken it next year when go out to Midwest to hunt deer. Haven't used it for deer hunting since they switched 1 area I hunt in to rifle from shotgun a few years ago. It's light and quick to shoulder and the recoil is whole lot less than 12 gauge.

Turkey- Mossberg 835

Waterfowl- Remington 870

Squirrels, clay birds, rabbits- Stoeger Uplander

All 12 gauges. I have a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel that I've used for deer & hogs, but I don't especially like it, just doesn't feel comfortable. I keep hearing how great the H & R single shot slug gun is, maybe I'll look into this..... :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

I got rid of all my shotguns a while back but my old Winchester 1300 Black Shadow was one I wish I had back.

The speed pump was so effortless it was almost unsafe if you weren't paying attention.

Got one of those. It's mt favorite. Well, at least in the Spring.  B)

I own two... a Benelli Supernova 12ga with comfortech stock (i adjusted the drop of comb and offset) and then a Mossberg 500 20ga, that I got from my dad and started out with.  don't really have a favorite.  the benelli gets the job done and is my go to shotgun.  However, I grew up learning on the Mossberg.  when it's in my hands I just shoot it ridiculously well.  I wouldn't give up either and if somehow forced me to use one or the other for a shooting bet it's on like donkey kong.  i'm afraid if i were to buy another shotgun it might not fit as well or i might not shoot it as well.

Can't say I've ever really loved the performance of my shot guns. I have an Ithaca and a 870 but both were just ok. But this past season I bought a Savage 220 20 gauge and so far I really like it. It seems to be a tack driver with Remington Accu tips 3" and two shots have equaled 2 dead deer. It's light, recoil is less than other 20 gauges I've shot and it just feels good with a sweet trigger.  

a handed down pre-war Belgium Browning A-5 in 16 gauge for deer or small game.

As a youth, started out borrowing my uncle's single in .410 for rabbit, move to a 16 double, and tried my grandfather's 12 gauge pump.  Never got the feel for using the pump. The Browning just feels right.

Deer: H&R Ultra Slug in Thumbhole. I popped a doe at 120 yards this weekend free hand with little time to do anything but point and shoot. I will use my 500 for pushes or as a back up. Never really found any other slug gun that I liked for deer, and I've been in shotgun territory for most of my life.

I do like my H&R .410. Not the best gun for small game, but I shoot it well.

• 3 weeks later...

Breeth...Looks like it would work well for cleaning bad guys out of elevators...Hehehe..

I remember a couple of my buddies when I was a teenager ( 50 years ago) had cut down side by side doubles..Back in those days there were no such things as choke tubes, so with the cut down barrels they were wide open cylinder bore... They shot wide patterns and were absolutely DEADLY on small game and upland game birds out to 30 yards or so, and most upland game is shot within that range anyway.