Crossbow Debate 2013...

BizCT

time for my 2 cents. my 14yr old has been eligable to bow hunt for 2 years. however its been just a few months hes been able to draw a 45lbs compound (might be wrong but i believe thats the minimum) with a crossbow he could have been in the field sooner. practice time is hard to come by particularly late summer early fall (football, soccer, field hockey, cheer leading) so being closer in function to a rifle then a recurve can make for a better outing. my opinion hunt with whatever works, just get out and hunt. i have a much better idea borrowed form other states, early season is primitive, long and recurve, flintlock and cap and ball, regular season anything goes, late season inlines, compouds, and cross bows. i picked up bow hunting to lengthen deer season but would be more comfortable stock and trigger. its all like the new gun law, let me use what I'M comfortable using, not what YOU think i should use. there that ought to stir things up!! :prankster:

• Like 1

i'm guilty of not reading through all the pages and have just skipped to the end.....

i think whatever gets more people out and enjoying the outdoors. do i think crossbows have a slight advantage over regular bows, yup. then again i don't really care, my last bow wasn't a $2k compound setup but a recurve. i'm for it and have passed it on to others. if someone, acting a certain way, shoots a big buck with a xbow and then rubs it in my face I'll hold out my recurve and say "have at it! good luck" lol

• Like 1

I will keep posts like this out when you keep your anti crossbow jiberish out of the crossbow section of this forum. this section is not for debating wether crossbows should be made legal or not in NY state.

Moderators please remove this debate thread about crossbows and place it somewhere else, like in the.... "I,m a commie and want people to do only what i want section".

What happened to forum rules? guess they dont apply for the crossbow section????

comie for debating crossbows in the crossbow section? you've gone off your rocker bud.

d93b2176_someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1246485981.jpeg

I will keep posts like this out when you keep your anti crossbow jiberish out of the crossbow section of this forum. this section is not for debating wether crossbows

yea there kinda like headless chickens running into walls at this point...sad isnt it....like most commies they put up a hell of a fight...

your intelligent arguments help your case when referring to your opposition as headless chickens... i hope you spell check all the letters you write to our state government.

time for my 2 cents. my 14yr old has been eligable to bow hunt for 2 years. however its been just a few months hes been able to draw a 45lbs compound (might be wrong but i believe thats the minimum) with a crossbow he could have been in the field sooner. practice time is hard to come by particularly late summer early fall (football, soccer, field hockey, cheer leading) so being closer in function to a rifle then a recurve can make for a better outing. my opinion hunt with whatever works, just get out and hunt. i have a much better idea borrowed form other states, early season is primitive, long and recurve, flintlock and cap and ball, regular season anything goes, late season inlines, compouds, and cross bows. i picked up bow hunting to lengthen deer season but would be more comfortable stock and trigger. its all like the new gun law, let me use what I'M comfortable using, not what YOU think i should use. there that ought to stir things up!! :prankster:

1. i don't understand... is it football or cheerleading? I'd hope a football player could pull back >45lb. That all being said I posted something very similar earlier in this thread. I played 3 sports and wasn't able to devote the time to archery and instead was a gun only hunter early on. Then engineering school made it impossible for me to even get in the woods for longer than opening weekend and thanksgiving day. Like I've said a few times now, if I had picked up a crossbow when I was 14 I doubt I'd ever have invested the money and time when I graduated to learn the bow. That's my fear.

Edited by Belo

That's my fear.

I still don't get the fear of what? If his son or daughter never picked up a long or compound bow and chose to use a crossbow, I don't see how it changes anything for you? If it was their choice and they practiced ethical hunting and joined our bowhunting woods I mark that as a positive regardless of what they chose to use. The sequence you went through and the choices you made seem to have worked out fine for you. I would bet their choice work out fine for them as well.

I don't know if you have kids or not but I can should you a ton of kids on youth football at 12 that couldn't pull back a legal bow and many more that couldn't hold it as may be required for hunting.

• Like 1

the age was 14 for archery when I started. At 14 I was a freshman and most of my buddies were capable of pulling back a bow. I also played youth football from 4th grade until senior year in school. I do have a kid. And "my fear" is that the tradition of bowhunting will die. Isn't that what a lot of us are concerned about here? preserving the tradition? Does it directly affect me? no. But I want to "pass it on"

Edited by Belo

The passing of crossbows in Bow hunting season would not effect how you pass the tradition on. I love to bow hunt it is one of my favorite times of the year. But I am not a bowhunter. I am a hunter and to me the hunting tradiditon has nothing to do with what we are carying in our hands. That is just my take and I know we see it differently and differently doens't make either of us right or wrong, just different.

I know the comment was for a 14 year old but I referenced 12 since that is the NY bowhunting age.

• Like 2

the age was 14 when for archery when I started. At 14 I was a freshman and most of my buddies were capable of pulling back a bow. I also played youth football from 4th grade until senior year in school. I do have a kid. And "my fear" is that the tradition of bowhunting will die. Isn't that what a lot of us are concerned about here? preserving the tradition? Does it directly affect me? no. But I want to "pass it on"

preserving a tradition, my traditon is hunting and not being told when and where we can use a weapon of our choice by Commies. Or what type of firearm and mags we can use to defend our families and property once again by Commies. Stop being a Commie control freak and mind your own traditions and leave me and mine alone. I own land and pay alot of taxes in this state and am getting pretty sick and tired of nitwits telling me what i can and cant own.
  • Like 3

preserving a tradition, my traditon is hunting and not being told when and where we can use a weapon of our choice by Commies. Or what type of firearm and mags we can use to defend our families and property once again by Commies. Stop being a Commie control freak and mind your own traditions and leave me and mine alone. I own land and pay alot of taxes in this state and am getting pretty sick and tired of nitwits telling me what i can and cant own.

Your tradition of crossbow hunting? When did this tradition start? Guess what buddy, you may want to get back in your bomb shelter because the government and state have been telling you what you can and cant do for a long time now. The DEC has been telling you what you can and cant do for a while now in regards to when and where you hunt. Should we all be able to hunt private property too? I mean... nobody can tell us where we can hunt right?

I will ask you for the final time to stop bringing your gun control issues into our discussion regarding crossbows and then I will just ignore you. If you have valid, educated and properly worded insult free points to make I would be glad to debate with you.

Edited by Belo

Your tradition of crossbow hunting? When did this tradition start?

How about the "tradition" of compound hunting - started in the mid 70's or so.

Compare this to the crossbow which has been in use since the 5th century BC.

Unless you are talking of using a longbow/recurve, the tradition you are worried about is barely a blink of the eye

when put into a historical context.

How about the "tradition" of compound hunting - started in the mid 70's or so.

Compare this to the crossbow which has been in use since the 5th century BC.

Unless you are talking of using a longbow/recurve, the tradition you are worried about is barely a blink of the eye

when put into a historical context.

40 years is long enough for a tradition in my book.

Come on man, the modern crossbow is also not the same as those used primarily for combat from 5th century BC. if you're going to be out there with one of these because you're about tradition than fine. But there still is no tradition for crossbow something. It's something new, and that's fine. I understand why some support it, but it is not how many have hunted during archery in NYS.

a_flemish_crossbow_with_windlass_d5471206h.jpg

Edited by Belo

I started hunting at the age of 12 for deer with my uncle and was taught strictly with a recurve, at age 14 i bought my first compound, but my uncle would not let me take it if i was hunting with him, he was " old school" and completely against them. when i was old enough to start hunting on my own and was driving him to our spots i started to use my compound, after a few years of this he finally broke down and bought a compound.then came about the crossbow being legal to use in pa. I swore it off for years, said i never buy one, both my brothers went out and bought them , after shooting compounds for years, within two years my younger brother gave up hunting so i purchased his xbow from him. i haved used it three times twice i was busted moving into position and once i missed and that was at 35 yds, not sure if he jumped the string or not but them bows are loud. This past year i was shooting at the range with my budddy who just purchased a matthews , not only did he match me shot for shot, he shot a better group than i did at 60 yds out ( xbows get heavy after a few sets ). so for all the guys on here that think people are going to go out and start shooting deer at 60 plus yds with a xbow your sadly mistaken and unless you have spent time in the woods actually hunting with one how can you even make a comment on it. And yes they are fun to shoot but they suck to hunt with. just my 2 cents.

I never liked a crossbow and I still don't but I destroyed both of my shoulders that required 4 surgerys. It cost me to miss a season but do to hard work and a ton of rehab I'm back out there but eventually I'll be beyond hunting with a bow but love Archery Season and a crossbow will be my only option. I would hope that NY wakes up and at the very least to accommodate the disabled. The dumb laws here were enough to drive my father out and he will never return but is able to enjoy hunting in his silver years even though he is disabled beyond a point that he will never shoot a bow again. That little dumb thing that attachs to bow so you pull it back with your feet does aboslutely nothing for someone that can't hold a bow out at arms length. That and I can't see one good excuse to not allow a bow during archery season.