Let's throw some gas on the fire - MI Report

phade

then why did our state make them illegal? why is there countless articles dissecting the difference. It's not a fact. You need to understand that a large population dont bleieve its a fact. And until you see that we cannot continue to discuss this. You can state "you believe it's a bow" but you cant claim it as fact.

The tradition that has already been changed in the past? Is that the one you are talking about?

If you cant see how limiting other's choices is imposing, then I dont know what to tell you.

ahh the old recurve standby...

if you cant see the similarities in a compound and a recurve vs a crossbow then all hope i ever had for you is lost.

There is no hope on this subject. Human nature, I guess.

No difference between the sequester issue on a much bigger scale. People just don't see eye to eye and it's going to just screw everyone.

Compromise still seems like the best option in my opinion, but that's just because i see things from both points of view. Oh the irony.

Edited by phade

Phade ...liken to the person praying to the porcelain God saying I'll never do it again....just to find themselves in the same position the following weekend...lol

I was a big follower of that religion in 1999-2003 or so, ha. College tends to do that from time to time.

1. so things are too complicated. make them easier for me to understand? What's so difficult? you can hunt with a bow, you can hunt with a crossbow with a permit. simple stupid.

2. easy to fix. be a proponent for making it easier to obtain a permit. I'd be on your side there.

3. a crossbow is not a bow. but we will never see eye to eye on that one.

sorry bud... wiki definition: A crossbow is a weapon consisting of a bow mounted on a stock that shoots projectiles, often called bolts or quarrels.

How about this one guys? I do thik they should be allowed for those above a certain age or disability. I also think there should be a youth age allowance (maybe up to and including 16?) I also think it should be up to the landwoners do decide the amount of pressure they will impose on their property. Make them legal on private land.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

How about this one guys? I do thik they should be allowed for those above a certain age or disability. I also think there should be a youth age allowance (may up to and including 16? I also think it should be up to the landwoners do decide the amount of pressure they will impose on their property. Make them legal on private land.

Stop making so much sense.

• Like 1

How about this one guys? I do thik they should be allowed for those above a certain age or disability. I also think there should be a youth age allowance (maybe up to and including 16?) I also think it should be up to the landwoners do decide the amount of pressure they will impose on their property. Make them legal on private land.

and you'll hear no argument from me, although i'm on the fence with the youth inclusion.

The problem with crossbows.

1. The definition of disabled in nys

2. The ability to enforce use by non disabled

3. The perceived "it will cause i decrease in my hunting experience"

Benefits of allowing.

1. More revenue for state.

2. Keeping more people involved in hunting.

3. Increased harvest of game.

4. Another chance to hunt with new implement ( hope they allow spears next)

5. Ease of enforcement uniformly across state.

Remember all game belongs to the state, and the state needs money...

But is it considered archery? It's not "bow season" it's a special archery season.

I hear the "it's real old and used in the medieval times" argument. But those who used it were referred to as crossbowman, not archers.

I just don't see how something with a trigger, no requirement to draw and a scope should be allowed in the season. Use it during late and regular if you love it so much.

I just don't see how something with a trigger, no requirement to draw and a scope should be allowed in the season. Use it during late and regular if you love it so much.

Compounds are shot with triggers, can have a scope and with 80 to 99% let off legal and available, can be held at full draw several minutes before making a shot.

Sit in a ground blind or 20+ feet in the air and the chance are your draw will never be seen.

• Like 2

Thing is todays modern compounds and crossbows are nearly identical, one is vertical one horizontal. Both shot with triggers (fingers are hardly used anymore except by die hard recurve and long bow hunters who need their own week in my opinion.) On held mechanically but very loud and energy drops off fast, the other held by hand(albit with90 % or more of weight held mechanically) and retains energy better at longer ranges. Sights are same on both scope or fixed adjustable pins. Let crossbows and compounds in same season, give recurves and longbows their own during prime rut... after all they are the only true archers out there!

• Like 1

The "hunting" is as hard . the shooting part of the 'hunt" isn't. If you consider the hunt to be the shot I will give you that the crossbow is easier. Up to and after that part the hunt is the same. I don't remember anyone saying a crossbow was NOT easier to actually shoot. I have seen several comments about them not having the vast "advantages" that are often claimed that they have.

Good point.. I would bet that you could give most hunters a bazooka and they still won't see a deer to kill even with that fire power... the weapon only becomes superior if you can put something in front of you to kill... seeing how only about 30% of hunters are successful each year.. I don't see how the addition of a crossbow during bowseason would have much of an impact on bowhunting one way or another.

Good point.. I would bet that you could give most hunters a bazooka and they still won't see a deer to kill even with that fire power... the weapon only becomes superior if you can put something in front of you to kill... seeing how only about 30% of hunters are successful each year.. I don't see how the addition of a crossbow during bowseason would have much of an impact on bowhunting one way or another.

Tell you what, if I had a bazooka I wouldn't waste any on deer!