NZ early season tag filled!

Fantail

It was time for some vacation, so I took a week off and went up to camp on the new lease.

New York, northern zone opener.  The weatherman is off my Christmas list.  But in all fairness three out of four days of rain I had the privilege of filling an unused antlerless deer tag from 2010.  What a great way to start the season!  It took place in one of my stands near a Food plot adjacent to a few apple trees.  About 7:15 to 7:20am three doe’s came browsing through.  I placed a 2 D decoy in the plot and they spotted it.  The lead doe hoofed and twisted her neck and head a little bit, like they do when they are trying to get something to move.  The look on her face was like why isn’t this idiot deer moving?  But none of them were spooked.  Instead they moved about 20 yards around it to my right.  While they were cutting through some brush I managed to turn myself slightly to the right for a better shot.  And when the biggest doe was broadsided in the lane - I connected with the PSE, radial X weave & a Muzzy Phantom MX!  23 yards.  What a sound that hit made - thunk!  I mean, the first one of the year and all.  She made three quick snort noises but only went about 35 to 40 yards.  The weather was a very heavy drizzle so the shot had to count.

The next 20 minutes was a killer.  First shot of the year, I hoped for a good recovery.  As I stood there trying to calm myself, I’d look at my watch take a drink the water, pass some gas because I was excited and that happens.  That had to be 15 minutes, look at my watch, nope only five.  Do a gear check, keep an eye out for other deer, think of a game plan, things like that.  Finally, time to get out of the stand.  Didn’t take long to find the arrow stuck in the ground, the vane’s covered in bright red blood.  Complete pass through.  The rain washing away most of the blood trail.  From what there was, and what I heard I got a fix on her direction.  In about 5 to 10 minutes, there she was piled up next to a tree just off of another small plot I made from tilling up an old logging trail.  Doesn’t get much better than that!

In 15 years or so of hunting, that was the first time I took advantage of New York’s northern zone early bow season opener.  Felt good, real good.  I was actually camping for eight days and it was a solid rain for almost six of them.  My camping spot is set up fairly well, under a 12 by 16 foot tarp.  But by the time it was time to leave it was nearly impossible to keep anything dry.  Mud was everywhere, the swamp overflowed part of the access road and I only got to use the Dutch oven once.  But I stuck to it and pulled it off.

To good hunting!

This post brought to you by a new member of the geeks who hunt in the northern zone club, and Windows 7 speech recognition.

post-3-131455343524_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replys! The deer seem to be scoping on what apples they can find right about now. Wanted to mention something else about the 2-D Renzo. I used the feeding doe and went out they next day to the same spot, figgured lets see what else happens and if there was more activity. Some guys won't go near the same stand within a day or so after a score. That evening two deer showed up, they may have been the other deer that were with the one I sliced. But this time they would have nothing to do with the decoy, and kept their distance. On the pm side a loner doe browsed through the area and wasn't spooked by the decoy but seemed more curious. My first thought was of greed ;) 'yeah, I might be going home with two deer'. Well it didn't get close enough or so I thought and it was in a not so clear lane, so it walked. Had the blood pumpin though.

Great start! I smoked a bit smaller of a doe last week too on the leftover 09'-10' tag, coming in for the apple tree!

was my first deer with the new Mathew's Monster 7.0 and rage 2 blades, I was very happy with the results!

Clean pass through and the deer ran only 25 yards before crashing. The broadhead was still intact and with

a new o-ring and rubber band, could be used again but I'm changing the blades anyway.

Holy crap look at the hole that rage did!  Nice shot too :D

I was really pleased with the performance of these broadheads after reading so many pro's &

con's about them, bottom line.....  they did the job right!  I have no problem spending the money on them seeing how quickly and cleanly they put that deer down. The blood trail left behind was impressive

too, even with all the rain we had. I recommend them highly!