Pistol permit anybody ?

I got mine in 2010, here in Onondaga Cty.  Now it takes 14 months from date of inquiry, to the time when you can go START the paperwork process.  Back when I did mine, it took 5 months start to finish.  Onondaga says its because they have one clerk, and still use an old manual system.  They are in the process of updating to a computer system to help speed up the process.

Sheriff Barry Virts of Wayne County said in one of his reports that permit applications would be by appointment as there have been so many . The Honorable Dennis Kehoe has no problem signing them once they are in the system . I have no idea as to how long the process is now .

Anybody here tried getting there pistol permit since sandy hook ? I want to apply for one but a friend of mine told me they are turning people down left and right here in dutchess county. I dont see any reason for them to deny me one, record is clean.

They were back logged way before Sandy Hook........how is it possible there has been an increase in denials as they are most likely just getting to applicants from after that time period.

If you have a clean record and are patient, you will get one.

I'm blown away on another forum for people applying and the myriad of arrests in their past......they get denied because they forgot some!

How do you forget you were cuffed and put in the back of a cop car! Guess when it happens enough, they all blend together.

Funny stuff when they are suprised they are denied. LOL 

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

i started mine well over a yr ago. It took until last month to actual submit my paperwork, its in albany right now getting approved. They cant turn you away for any reason. you have a right to apply. The lines at most offices are over and hour right now, so though you may have to wait for the appointment, they have no right to deny you

I got mine in 2010, here in Onondaga Cty.  Now it takes 14 months from date of inquiry, to the time when you can go START the paperwork process.  Back when I did mine, it took 5 months start to finish.  Onondaga says its because they have one clerk, and still use an old manual system.  They are in the process of updating to a computer system to help speed up the process.

I added a pistol to my permit in January. (Onondaga Co.) and there were a bunch of people in line, most were turning in permit applications. I have never had more than one person in line ahead of me. I talked to one of the Deputies I know, and he said it has been a mad house, every day, as far as people turning in applications.

I say if you don't have a permit yet apply for one.

Never really had a reason for applying, except my buddy begging me to join his pistol team...  Those TC Contenders look VERY enticing for those long hikes into deep woods.  Plus ammo is crazy, at least at the bow range I can recover 95% of my arrows and 200$ for the yearly dues(Plus 2 work days) is excellent IMO. 

If I get a handgun then it's indoor range cost, ammo, possible reloading, etc. just adds up to a lot more money I just don't have.  Rifles work for me...  Guns are usually on the money every year I hit the range and my favorite 44. mag is the cheapest ammo (Large caliber) so a few extra shots down range is not only fun it's cheap compared to over 1 or 2 $ a bullet w/30-06.  Plus I like the extra range, power and accuracy with a rifle.  Still see no need, yet...  Good luck to every one who applies!  Not to hard to get if you are legit and don't brake the law...  And no I am not talking about speeding or parking tickets even though they are looked at that will not stop anyone...

Ask yourself this:  Do I have a criminal record?  If the answer is yes, you will be denied plain and simple...  And may I add thankfully because I know a few idiots who tried for a shotgun purchase and were denied, at least that worked...

If you are denied and feel you should be able to get a permit, try again you will get it eventually.  Good luck again and I hope every citizen that should have a permit gets one!

Well, I got my permit today took a little more than a year to get. Now I need to buy a pistol within 60 days to get the actural permit.   Thinking of looking at a Taurus Tracker 992 revolver in 22 l.r. & 22 mag for a starter gun.  Any thoughts?

(Don't know why the print is small)

Well, I got my permit today took a little more than a year to get. Now I need to buy a pistol within 60 days to get the actural permit.   Thinking of looking at a Taurus Tracker 992 revolver in 22 l.r. & 22 mag for a starter gun.  Any thoughts?

Well Congrats!

I don't know anything about the pistols you mentioned but I'm sure someone will chime in.  Get going!!

.22 is a good starter ... cheap ammo... you'll want to shoot quite a bit when you first get your pistol, so cheap ammo is good. Plink with that for a bit while you look for something a little more substantial.

I got  mine 39 years ago....It took me 8 months...A friend of mine applied at the same time that I did and got his in 5 weeks..

I learned later  that the reason mine took so long was that the Sherrif's deputy ( who eventually became Steuben County Sherrif) that was handling my application put it on top of his refrigerator and FORGOT about it for 6 months....True story...

Im in Onondaga county.  I went to the sheriffs office to get the ball rolling last may and get the paperwork.  At that time the sheriff asked me if I wanted to sign up for my interview.  Being that I needed 4 references, had to take my hand gun course, still had to be fingerprinted I told him i probably should wait.  He laughed and said well the first available appointment was May 8th 2013.  So needless to say its a year to even get the chance to hand in your paperwork and then its 6-8 weeks from then.

Well, I got my permit today took a little more than a year to get. Now I need to buy a pistol within 60 days to get the actural permit. Thinking of looking at a Taurus Tracker 992 revolver in 22 l.r. & 22 mag for a starter gun. Any thoughts?

Honestly, if you dont have any 22 right now, dont go that route, you will not be able to find ammo for a decent price. Trust me, I have been trying for months. As far as a nice 22 pistol goes, Id suggest the Beretta Neos U22. Its very affordable and one heck of a shooter. You can swap between multiple barrel sizes as well.