Do a Little Dance

Five Seasons

I understood you perfectly. I was just reminding others to have some fun and quit worrying about all the things that might ruin a day of hunting. I still don't get how crossbows being legalized will screw up bow hunting. I say let them hunt.

All I know for sure is a day hunting that gets screwed up by the weather, people, other hunters, coyotes, dogs,whatever, beats the hell out of working the other 48-50 weeks out of the year. Enjoy it no matter what, and let others do the same.

• Like 2

They make the arrow harder to come back out of the animal, giving wounds from bad shots less opportunity to heal, more opportunity to become infected, and more of a chance that someone sees a deer running around with an arrow poking out of them. If you dont understand how THAT would change the sport, then I dont know what to tell you.

From the rifles in Wayne county thread, it sounds like you are all for opening up rifle in the area. I dont mean rifles in archery season or anything like that.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

exactly. it has nothing to do with fear of them shooting "my deer" as my fans like to claim. It has everything to do with them ruining my "experience" and changing the tradition of bow hunting and what my son will experience when he's old enough. There was article posted on here a while back about crossbows in Ohio and how they have changed the experience, but I cant seem to find it.

you mean like compound bows changed what we who use them like to call a primitive season it used to be?  Compounds were the ruination of what archery season was meant to be years ago.

Interesting article. Kind of makes you think about how our whole management approack is in this State. Let me start this by saying I hunt every deer season in NY. (Not those silly ones downt there in the People Republic of NY down south..lol) with shotgun, rifle, bow and ML.---NZ and SZ. I think the whole system should be revamped rather than this little blood letting steps they keep poking at us. If they want to manage the population I think they should take a different approach especially with a new license structure. Big game license gets you A buck. Pick your implement in the appropriate season. doe are managed by doe permit ONLY. NZ and SZ. GIve the hunters that don't bow or ML  hunt a shot at doe tags up there, then they can really control the take. Maybe even help the areas that are low in population. AND really take a run through the Encon law and really put teeth in the penalties for poaching.

I have been in favor of the cross bow inclusion (at least a relaxing of the requirements for older or disabled hunters) and after reading that article Doc posted it made me think. What about an inclusion but not allow the use of optics? I actually wouldn't mind seeing that happen for ML again, and I use and inline with optics.

• Like 1

Here is what is starting to bug me about all this stuff. Even without the crossbow, I am already hearing some of these complaints about how the bowhunters are making big dents in the buck population before the gunners even get a crack at them. There is already growing resentment among the gun hunters, and I'm not even sure that they aren't correct. Back in the early days of bowhunting our success rates weren't really all that significant, and our numbers were really quite small and we didn't even offer a blip on anyone's radar. Now, primarily because of technology and equipment improvements, we are starting to receive some unwanted scrutiny by those in hunting who hold the majority position as far as numbers. And scattered throughout that article are references to exactly this same problem in PA. Apparently the addition of crossbows into bow seasons has caused some serious spikes in bow season harvests that are catching the full attention and concern of their gun hunters. That is not a real good problem to have developing. We already have way to much of that sort of thing and don't even have the crossbow entry into bow season yet.

I am primarily a bow hunter and really cannot sympathize all that much with their concerns, but I do have to be concerned about the unhappiness of this majority of hunters with our impact on their season. That cannot be a good thing.

At any rate, I though the article was interesting to say the least. It does provide a little more food for thought to add into the issue.

no reason those gun hunters can't pick up a bow too. I realize archery is not for everyone, but most serious hunters i know are first and foremost bow hunters. Most gun only hunters I know are good hunters but not as nutty and extreme as the bow hunter. More of a "meat hunter", "deer camp", have a good time hunter. Perfectly fine and acceptable in my book. So the later type of hunter wouldn't seem to be the type to get all up in arms about "less deer for me".

I don't know. I really don't even care so much anymore. It's a fun debate during the off-season, but in the end I'm going to do my thing.

Funny every time there is any advancement in technology, the ones using the previous advancement cry foul.  I have to chuckle at these who say their 80 percent let off and fiber optic pins are primitive.  Get a recurve or long bow and shoot primitive then tell everyone how they are wrong.  Bottom line crossbow will generate cash flow and w ill be in the archery season soon 

• Like 1

Funny every time there is any advancement in technology, the ones using the previous advancement cry foul.  I have to chuckle at these who say their 80 percent let off and fiber optic pins are primitive.  Get a recurve or long bow and shoot primitive then tell everyone how they are wrong.  Bottom line crossbow will generate cash flow and w ill be in the archery season soon 

quote those who said they were primitive? the crossbow is not an advancement. it's been around just as long as the recurve. But the 2 are not the same.