2013 Prep work? What are you doing to prep for the 2013 Hunting Season?

burmjohn

<br />Funny you say that... I woke up in a bad dream sweating and breathing heavy that I should of pinched the blooms off. I threw the cover off at 2am ran outside pitch dark and pinched the 7 little blooms off. On the run out I asked myself, what would phade do and at the moment I knew I was doing the right thing...<br /><br /><br />Blooms are gone now I can finally sleep.<br /><br /><br />Oh by the way, was at Walmart yesterday and they had some very nice trees out and for only 20$ too<br /><br /><br /><br />Tip...go to the manager in about another two weeks and ask him if he'll knock some off the prices of the remaining trees. I got a few a couple years ago for $7 each there. I picked up a couple mutsu crispin and granny smith this season. I was quite surprised at the quality of the stock.

<br />Yeah? Sweet ill have to try that. Why would they knock money off? Late in the season maybe? Might send the wife in there and do it, she's good with haggling lol

Interesting how this thread has gone .... lol. I suppose it was inevitable that it would eventually devolve into name calling. Surprisingly, it stayed as an actual conversation for a long time. By the way ..... What is a goober? Last I knew, it was a chocolate covered peanut.

I have known a goober as  a chocolate covered peanut as well and also another word for an eye bugger: definition per urban dictionary is "little balls of mucus found in the inner corners of ones eyes, usually when one first wakes up"

I have known a goober as  a chocolate covered peanut as well and also another word for an eye bugger: definition per urban dictionary is "little balls of mucus found in the inner corners of ones eyes, usually when one first wakes up"

Lol ..... "Eye Booger". I thought I was the only one that called them things that...... lol.

Talked to a guy (not a worker) yesterday at TSC who said he uses biologic that they sell in the store. He said he rakes away the leaves in the woods and broadcast spreads it. Said it has worked great the last few years. Not sure how accurate he is, but I might give it a try around a couple of my stands. It was only $9 for a 5lb bag. What the heck right?

Talked to a guy (not a worker) yesterday at TSC who said he uses biologic that they sell in the store. He said he rakes away the leaves in the woods and broadcast spreads it. Said it has worked great the last few years. Not sure how accurate he is, but I might give it a try around a couple of my stands. It was only $9 for a 5lb bag. What the heck right?

id have to assume its HotSpot? i have used it before, works very good actually. still requires some work with making sure you have enough sun and good seed to soil contact. $9 for 5lbs? thats a great price...

i use Biologic Maximum, i love it. their LabLab was really good to, a lot of forage but those require a bit more work then just scraping the ground and throwing it around.

good luck with it

I got a new piece of woods to bowhunt this fall.  I scouted it last year during s. tier gun season.  It was chuck full of bucks.  It is a little hallow surrounded by some homes.  The bucks are using it as a sanctuary.  I havn't been this excited in years.  I teach, so as soon as school is out, my kids and I will be setting up treestands and putting up cameras.

On my own property I will plant my food plot again.  This year I'm going to try a blend of barrasicas.  My only concern is this new weed that has taken over my plot the last 3 years and chokes out my plot.  I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it.

I got a new piece of woods to bowhunt this fall.  I scouted it last year during s. tier gun season.  It was chuck full of bucks.  It is a little hallow surrounded by some homes.  The bucks are using it as a sanctuary.  I havn't been this excited in years.  I teach, so as soon as school is out, my kids and I will be setting up treestands and putting up cameras.

On my own property I will plant my food plot again.  This year I'm going to try a blend of barrasicas.  My only concern is this new weed that has taken over my plot the last 3 years and chokes out my plot.  I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it.

I had that same problem in one of my brassica food plots last year as well.  I actually walked through the entire food plot pulling all of the weeds.  Took me and a buddy about 2 hours but definately worth it!  lol

good luck in the new property.

Well, you certainly have your work cut out for you. How many acres in the new chunk of hunting ground?

Regarding that "new weed", do you have any idea what it is? Maybe somebody here has dealt with it before. If you're not sure what it is, it might help to post a picture or two of it.

Regarding that "new weed", do you have any idea what it is? Maybe somebody here has dealt with it before. If you're not sure what it is, it might help to post a picture or two of it.

I'll post some pics later today in the food plot room.  See what you think.

Here's what I 'm doing all summer to prep. The deer will be there, the freezer and once in awhile the wall willl be filled, just like every year of the last 30 plus.

post-253-0-39571100-1370136616_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302

Here's what I 'm doing all summer to prep. The deer will be there, the freezer and once in awhile the wall willl be filled, just like every year of the last 30 plus.

very true. If you have a quality area, the only prep you need to do some times is keep your shooting lanes, approach trails and runs in good shape. I love finding an excuse to be in the woods though, so I like putting in a new stand or trying something new like a food plot.

Edited by Belo

I hunt mainly public land so I always have to be keeping an eye on whats going on in the woods I hunt. Theres a lot of different factors that can alter deer movement on public land. Last year the apples didn't grow, so the deer had totally different movement patterns than usual. If I didn't go into the woods to check on the apple growth during the summer I would have been hunting dead areas.