Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

Somebody needs to explain to the deer on my property brassicas taste better after a frost because mine are almost all down to the dirt. Pretty dissatisfied with my food plot season. 
Looks like a frost on Friday morn too.

Our one plot had the same thing happen last year. You couldn't have pulled enough green off it by season for a decent garnish.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

I still have the buttons.  They were way less than 3", so I wouldn't call him a spike.  Very similar to the one in your pic.  

well the one in his pic is not a button so just a diffrence in what one calls a button, but some one with 40yrs hunting should know what an actuall button is, and yes like the statics say a male fawn avg weight in NE is 85 lbs not a big stretch to hit 100lbs.. not the norm but possible same time ive seen a 1.5 yr old not hit 100bs lots a variables ....

59 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Somebody needs to explain to the deer on my property brassicas taste better after a frost because mine are almost all down to the dirt. Pretty dissatisfied with my food plot season. 

yeah i had a plot wiped clean already.....was about 110 yrds long ten yards wide just hammered it,,,,,

9 hours ago, land 1 said:

well the one in his pic is not a button so just a diffrence in what one calls a button, but some one with 40yrs hunting should know what an actuall button is, and yes like the statics say a male fawn avg weight in NE is 85 lbs not a big stretch to hit 100lbs.. not the norm but possible same time ive seen a 1.5 yr old not hit 100bs lots a variables ....

If the one in the pic is not a button, then what do you call it?  What is the average weight of a field dressed fawn in the NE? - cuz it isn't 85lbs.  With my years of experience I will call a deer with buttons on its head a button buck, you know, because of the buttons.

13 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Has a doe face for sure

yeah I almost want him to shoot it because those antlers are weird and similar to they type you see with antlered doe. I wouldn't be shocked at all if there's no twig and berries under there... or possibly an early injury or genetic issue and he has a twig but no berries and that's driving the weird rack issue. 

Maybe he needs some of that low T stuff that frank thomas sells on late night tv lol

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

If the one in the pic is not a button, then what do you call it?  What is the average weight of a field dressed fawn in the NE? - cuz it isn't 85lbs.  With my years of experience I will call a deer with buttons on its head a button buck, you know, because of the buttons.

small spikes is what i call it most likely not 3in tho,  its not a male fawn aka button buck, weights can very, To each there your own 

3 hours ago, Belo said:

yeah I almost want him to shoot it because those antlers are weird and similar to they type you see with antlered doe. I wouldn't be shocked at all if there's no twig and berries under there... or possibly an early injury or genetic issue and he has a twig but no berries and that's driving the weird rack issue. 

Maybe he needs some of that low T stuff that frank thomas sells on late night tv lol

OK so I didn’t check for a frank and beans but I did ask him if he wanted some of the frank Thomas stuff and Houston I think we have a problem he asked for Goli and the J Lo stuff instead ha.  He she gets a pass from me I don’t wanna burn my buck tag on it nor do I want to burn a doe tag on it I can pursue larger ones.  My guess is it will flee during the rut may not make it if it does there’s always next year. 

• Haha 1

I got to check my Plot that the Farmer didnt spray and its doing well! 220 yards long by 30 yards wide.. He is huge on rotating his crops and it shows that it certainly does help the soil. My wife's kill plot is 300 yards away and  with the same seed blend mostly and they are struggling.. Turnips Rutabaga and Radish all doing well. The bare spots were from when the Green beans were tall and thick, and the seed probably germinated and died.. Showing a little browse on some plants so they must like them. First year i believe these deer to have been introduced to These plants ever before. I dont think anyone nearby plants food plots.  

IMG_9530.jpg

IMG_9582.jpg

IMG_9583.jpg

IMG_9586.jpg

IMG_9587.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/28/2022 at 2:16 PM, Belo said:

Normally I don't like posting trail cam or any deer pics, but this one is blurry enough that I'll let it slide. This is my spring clover/chicory plot

1664065526919blob.thumb.jpg.72154e934608610d111397ad00edfb29.jpg

Finally!

Nice spot you have > 43.2123° N, 77.4300° W

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

not sure how much more growth happens after a frost for fall plots? But I'm pretty happy. I bumped 5 deer in on the way in Saturday morning which isn't something I considered with these plots. I don't have any other way in and there's a chance the deer might have been out in the orchard anyhow, but still generally good with my first year experiment.

IMG_2308.thumb.JPEG.fd5758b13f839bdd7d765295e7ec972a.JPEG

IMG_2309.thumb.JPEG.530572b618fa0c5e4b516be1190fee8d.JPEGIMG_2310.thumb.JPEG.9b514efc45f772623f2a71357180882a.JPEGIMG_2311.thumb.JPEG.7a73995195e825a68c93561a43468d0c.JPEG

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Belo said:

not sure how much more growth happens after a frost for fall plots? But I'm pretty happy. I bumped 5 deer in on the way in Saturday morning which isn't something I considered with these plots. I don't have any other way in and there's a chance the deer might have been out in the orchard anyhow, but still generally good with my first year experiment.

IMG_2308.thumb.JPEG.fd5758b13f839bdd7d765295e7ec972a.JPEG

IMG_2309.thumb.JPEG.530572b618fa0c5e4b516be1190fee8d.JPEGIMG_2310.thumb.JPEG.9b514efc45f772623f2a71357180882a.JPEGIMG_2311.thumb.JPEG.7a73995195e825a68c93561a43468d0c.JPEG

You'll  have deer in them at all times if you have cover right close by.. tis the only downfall of food plots in small acres. That perennial blend will be heavy with deer until it starts to get real cold, and should still grow if the weather gets warm again, if not.. that will be about it.. 

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

You'll  have deer in them at all times if you have cover right close by.. tis the only downfall of food plots in small acres. That perennial blend will be heavy with deer until it starts to get real cold, and should still grow if the weather gets warm again, if not.. that will be about it.. 

from what I read, and what I hope is that they'll still be in there during gun season maybe digging up the bulbs? The fall plot was really intended for gun more than bow. Something to suck them in when all the corn is cut. I guess we will see. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Belo said:

from what I read, and what I hope is that they'll still be in there during gun season maybe digging up the bulbs? The fall plot was really intended for gun more than bow. Something to suck them in when all the corn is cut. I guess we will see. 

The Bulb plots should be a great pull as colder weather begins to settle in until they are gone.. But each area is different. Some deer hit them when theyre 4" tall, others wait til The New year, Others will only eat the tops and not the bulbs and vice versa.. and some wont touch them at all for a year or 3.. the first year or so is always the toughest. Hence the reason especially when planting something new, I always incorporate blends  with seed species you know they like with new ones you would like to try.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

The Bulb plots should be a great pull as colder weather begins to settle in until they are gone.. But each area is different. Some deer hit them when theyre 4" tall, others wait til The New year, Others will only eat the tops and not the bulbs and vice versa.. and some wont touch them at all for a year or 3.. the first year or so is always the toughest. Hence the reason especially when planting something new, I always incorporate blends  with seed species you know they like with new ones you would like to try.  

thanks i've heard that as well about them not even touching some newer veggies they haven't seen before. My area is really rich in food, but not much after the corn is cut and the apples are gone.

I did blends specifically for that reason. In fact I even split my plot in half with 2 different blends haha. I do think you bring up a good point though, do I keep planting stuff that isn't getting eaten in hopes they eventually eat it or pivot to something like beans? I guess we will see. Right now my focus is blood on the ground and not food plots haha.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

thanks i've heard that as well about them not even touching some newer veggies they haven't seen before. My area is really rich in food, but not much after the corn is cut and the apples are gone.

I did blends specifically for that reason. In fact I even split my plot in half with 2 different blends haha. I do think you bring up a good point though, do I keep planting stuff that isn't getting eaten in hopes they eventually eat it or pivot to something like beans? I guess we will see. Right now my focus is blood on the ground and not food plots haha.

Lol, right! I have an area where there not an abundance of foods besides natives and hay fields. Only little AG .. So anything planted usually works. But it dids take deer a couple years to consume a Radish plant when they were used to eating Turnips.. I kept them in a blend and they eventually started eating everything. I wouldnt give up a seed species until year two or three. but keep "proper" blends available at all times 

• Like 1