Good year for apples?

if you're planning on eating the apples pick up the concentrated fruit tree spray and spray as they recommend on the bottle. if it's just for deer, let them do their thing. I'm actually starting to thin some of my "eating trees" so that i get some nice big apples as apposed to a bunch of smaller ones.

My crabapple in the backyard has the lowest branches almost touching the ground they are so loaded. I usually keep the tree is working order, but not necessarily pristine shape...but this is crazy.

I sprayed all the fruit trees with Sevin yesterday. I thought the Japanese Beetles were not going to show up this year. In fact, other years they were done before July. But there they were munching on the peach trees and I saw some on the apple trees. So hopefully they're done now.

mine are loaded!! Here's a question. Mine had so many it started dropping a ton, My guess is the tree needs to be prunned up. Am I correct?

Happens to every apple tree they call it the June drop & is normal & good for the tree & the Crop

Same here ...with the exception of my pears 4 trees and they had a severe fruit drop...due to those late freezes...but my Kiwi is so loaded that I will get hundreds of pounds of fruit...or giant man eat sized raccoons...LOL

(sp)

What Kiwi are u growing? Have u got it in a protected area? Have a link. Thanks.

if you're planning on eating the apples pick up the concentrated fruit tree spray and spray as they recommend on the bottle. if it's just for deer, let them do their thing. I'm actually starting to thin some of my "eating trees" so that i get some nice big apples as apposed to a bunch of smaller ones.

How would you suggest I thin my apple trees, I've read up on it on the internet but it just confuses me and I hate to screw it up. I plan on spraying the trees as soon as I can get a dry calm day.

still dropping at my place due to rains and full branches. nutty compared to last year.

Last year in Wayne County there were two late frosts that effected the local apple crops. Mott's plant near me had to RR supplemental apples in from Washington/Idaho to make up for what were limited supplies locally. Much more typical year (2013) so far for the apple farmers.

I posted pics in my  full disclosure thread..but here they are....these are the hardy non fuzzy kiwi...they get to be the size of a large globe grape and are loaded with vitamin C and very sweet..keep in the frig a very long time .....the only bug problem is crazy raccoons..squirrel and deer ...one vine is capable of producing 100#'s of fruit..I have three untrimmed females and fruit every where! in willows..apricot and apple trees Magnolias and current bushes ..LOL....that buried Arbor is 6x8x8ft...  

link to hardy kiwi's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy_Kiwi                                                             

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I decided to prune some of my apple and pear trees today. With the mass crop and all this rain some of the branches were hanging really low and I was worried limbs might break with all that weight.

We are the opposite...pears dropped ...apples are loaded...went to sons 10mins away....his apples and pears are just chucked full of fruit...while walking his dogs I walked under one tree and it was gross with fresh deer droppings already ...and the apples are small and still very green..so that apple tree seems to be a favorite for some reason....

PS...WNYBH..pears in the apple thread?...look out for Belo.. ;):P

Edited by growalot

I checked a pear tree yesterday thats @ 25 feet tall. That tree is loaded with fruit. With the lack of apples in the area this year, I have a feeling that per tree should be a good draw once the fruit starts dropping.

most of what i've read is that a pear tree is preferred to apples. the deer love the sweet taste, i believe the reason they're less common is due to the fact they take longer to produce and are less rugged. All that aside, i have loaded apples and pears. One apple tree is touching the ground. i have to thin it when i get a chance.

It looks like I might get more apples than I thought I would. A little closer look and I found some branches that had a few on them. But I did have jillions on the trees at one time that just fell off when they were about the size of a grape.

My peaches on the peach trees that are loaded but don't seem to be getting any larger. they are about the size of an apricot and have been that size for quite a while. This is the first year that they have been bearing, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with them and I don't know whether to expect some kind of sudden growth. But I'm starting to think that they might not develop into anything useful. I never heard of peaches getting off to such a good start and then just stopping growth.

I am concerned about my apple tree, it has been dropping apples for weeks, and now leaves are turning yellow and brown and falling like it was fall! I don't know if it is bugs or some kind of blight? If it stops raining for a day I plan to spray the tree with Neem, I hope it is not too late.

:ph34r::unsure::secret:

Doc...I've been growing them (peaches) for many years...if the trees are loaded you, need to thin to the two best fruit in each group..or go with a dropping of every other fruit...depending on how your trees set.... in order to get bigger fruit...but they still need Sun

• Like 1

Good year for fruit here, so far. No hail damage. ( Don't want to speak to loud, LOL)  Maybe apple prices will be a little more affordable this year. Peach prices are always high, maybe because the trees are more difficult to take care of.

NYS produces some of the best  tasting fruit in the world!

FYI: It's raining here,.......... again.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter