300 win mag

fadetoblack188

I  bought a 300 win mag about 10 years ago, being assured it was necessary for bear hunting. My first year bear hunting I shot , horribly mangled and killed...though not immediately, a small bear. a six inch chunk of three joined ribs and a lung were left on the ground where it was hit. The bear was about 170 lbs, about the same weight as a fair NY deer. It was the last thing I shot with it. I stick with my 45-70 for tree stand hunting and bears (four one shot kills, dropped on the spot without unnecessary carnage) or my .308. Far lighter than any .300, more than enough range for anyshot offered in NY, available in a short action, much more inexpensive ammo. There are folks who preach never too much gun....there sure as hell is.

Phil Shoemaker, a Alaskan guide has used a  30-06 with 200gr bullets for his gun of choice when backing up his brown bear hunters off and on for years. 

If I could wave the magic wand and change my 300WSM into a 30-06 over night, I sure would.  But since I can't, I'll live with it an advise others who might dip their toes into the COLD magnum waters............<grin>

• Like 2

Phil Shoemaker, a Alaskan guide has used a  30-06 with 200gr bullets for his gun of choice when backing up his brown bear hunters off and on for years. 

If I could wave the magic wand and change my 300WSM into a 30-06 over night, I sure would.  But since I can't, I'll live with it an advise others who might dip their toes into the COLD magnum waters............<grin>

He he he......yaa, and then tell them what the weight of that gun is. LOL

Even righty shooting your lefty gun,I rather liked that short chamber;<)

(I do rather like his signature line he uses)

Edited by Dinsdale

I got a remington 700 in .270 for range use and deer Put spend about $450 on the rifle and then got a nikon pro staff 4-12x50 on sale for $199. I am shooting ground hog with ease at 200 yards. Thats about the most distance I have available to use for shooting

He he he......yaa, and then tell them what the weight of that gun is. LOL

Even righty shooting your lefty gun,I rather liked that short chamber;<)

A fair amount shy of 7lbs.  (full disclosure)

And I think all you shot were the 150gr bullets?!?!

A fair amount shy of 7lbs.  (full disclosure)

And I think all you shot were the 150gr bullets?!?!

Man up ya big gurl.....

I put a BUNCH of 180 and 200 gr. down range in my 300RUM 26" barrel in the Blaser at 7 and a some ounces (4 maybe). Killed a pile of stuff with it too; should not have sold it, Biebs made me a good offer.LOL

Just really started with that 300 WBY barrel.....and I don't like that Zeiss scope, thats gotta go. Removable aftermarket break for that one, I like it. I need some cool weather now. Had a chance to shoot 500 yds with it and it has promise for sure.

I love my 300 win. Mag. I have not ever had a deer go more than20 yds ,with 98% falling in its tracks.. I shoot 150 grains in mine..( I think more along the line of O'Connor?) And the kick isn't bad ..Still not a gun for the recoil shy though.

Man up ya big gurl.....

I put a BUNCH of 180 and 200 gr. down range in my 300RUM 26" barrel in the Blaser at 7 and a some ounces (4 maybe). Killed a pile of stuff with it too; should not have sold it, Biebs made me a good offer.LOL

Just really started with that 300 WBY barrel.....and I don't like that Zeiss scope, thats gotta go. Removable aftermarket break for that one, I like it. I need some cool weather now. Had a chance to shoot 500 yds with it and it has promise for sure.

Skinny guys don't feel the recoil effects like fuller figured guys do.  Ever see a bowl of Jello shake?  UB earth quake center has called me in the past.....................................<grin>

• Like 4

I  bought a 300 win mag about 10 years ago, being assured it was necessary for bear hunting. My first year bear hunting I shot , horribly mangled and killed...though not immediately, a small bear. a six inch chunk of three joined ribs and a lung were left on the ground where it was hit. The bear was about 170 lbs, about the same weight as a fair NY deer. It was the last thing I shot with it. I stick with my 45-70 for tree stand hunting and bears (four one shot kills, dropped on the spot without unnecessary carnage) or my .308. Far lighter than any .300, more than enough range for anyshot offered in NY, available in a short action, much more inexpensive ammo. There are folks who preach never too much gun....there sure as hell is.

Too much gun.....and you hunt with a 45-70? lol! 

Find what fits you and your comfortable with. get some time behind the trigger, then go enjoy your hunt! 

+1.

Dead is dead! That deer isn't gonna know the difference if it was hit with a 30-06 or a .300 Mag!

I've used a Browning Lever action .300 winmag for the last 10 years.  It is the best rifle that I have ever used.  Flat shooting and accurate.  I shoot a 150 grain round and have yet to have a red mist where the animal I was shooting at once stood.  It does have a little kick which helps me save on ammo.  I shoot it only when I have to. 

The gun shop I bought my gun at told me they would bore site and bench shoot my .300 WSM at 200 yards for me with the purchase. I plan on dropping it off with a box of 165 grain Nosler partition ammo sometime later in the summer. They will take the unnecessary shooting off my hands and all ill have to do is fire a few rounds through her to see how it shoots for me. My 7mm Rem mag was no fun after the 10-12 rounds it took to site in, and I'm sure this wont be much different.

The gun shop I bought my gun at told me they would bore site and bench shoot my .300 WSM at 200 yards for me with the purchase. I plan on dropping it off with a box of 165 grain Nosler partition ammo sometime later in the summer. They will take the unnecessary shooting off my hands and all ill have to do is fire a few rounds through her to see how it shoots for me. My 7mm Rem mag was no fun after the 10-12 rounds it took to site in, and I'm sure this wont be much different.

ALL THE MORE REASON NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT TO BUY A MAGNUM.

A 30-06 is PLENTY of gun (or a 243, 260, 270, 7mm-08, 280) for ANYTHING in NYS. 

Having somebody else shoot your gun in is no way to learn it. 

Dude, you went from a 7mm Mag that you didn't like to a 300WSM, how come??

• Like 1

look a 270 WSM, the Browning X Bolt is really nice!!!  Wish I had one.  300's do a ton of meat destruction.  The 270 will knock over anything (except brown bear) on the continent and not tear up a ton of good cuts.  It's super long range.  Sold my 300 for just that reason.    

Funny thing is, the OP hasn't said a word since he started this!!

Some people just have tooooo much time on their hands.....................<grin>

Whats more fun then talking guns? Well other than killing stuff with them. :spiteful:

So not only is there no such thing as too much gun.

There is no such thing as too many!

30.06 ? What is Shoemaker your goto guru now. LOL

Have you gone all vanilla on me?

BORING. :bye:

I gotta go see if my paint is drying in this humidity........

• Like 1

ALL THE MORE REASON NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT TO BUY A MAGNUM.

A 30-06 is PLENTY of gun (or a 243, 260, 270, 7mm-08, 280) for ANYTHING in NYS.

Having somebody else shoot your gun in is no way to learn it.

Dude, you went from a 7mm Mag that you didn't like to a 300WSM, how come??

Unfortunately my 7mm was stolen from my parents house while I was in the process if relocating. I didn't mind shooting it, but not more than 10 times in an outing. And the only time I shot it that much was when I was sighting in. I didn't "need" to have the .300 WSM, but it was more of an impulse buy. What can I say I have a weakness when it comes to guns at great prices. I have a couple 30-06's, a 25-06, 7mm-08, .308, all good deer rifles and love the heck out of them. I agree that letting someone else site in the gun is not a good way to learn or familiarize yourself with it. But as my wife and kids seem to occupy most of my free time, it just seemed like a nice option to have. It would be the first time I ever had some one site in a gun for me, and if i do let him, hopefully the last.

I've been out of town and have missed this thread so far...DANG !!

There is nothing wrong with the .300 Win Mag as an all around medium to big game rifle IF you can handle the recoil to shoot it accurately and IF you use stoutly constructed bullets..

It is at its best with 180 or 200 grain premium bullets.

150 and 165 grain cup and core bullets act like varmint bullets at magnum velocities and blow hell out of the eating meat. Using such light bullets in a magnum is a waste of case capacity.

No matter what anyone tells you, most .300 mags kick like a mule..I have worked up loads for them alongside my .338 Win mag and it was kind of like being worked over by a good heavyweight and then a good light heavy..They both hit REALLY hard.

It is an excellent long range chambering..Long range begins at 300 yards and goes out as far as you can dope the trajectory and the wind.

Most standard chamberings such as .270, .280, .308 ,30-06, etc. are fine out to 350 yards or so, which is a pretty good poke for most of us mere mortals.

My old hunting partner Fungus Face uses his .300 Win mag for everything and does well with it. However, he is as recoil proof as a tractor tire and is using a good handload with a stout bonded bullet ( 180 Speer Grand Slam) .

Personally, I prefer to get the job done with something that doesn't beat me up so bad. The two rifles I use the most are a 7mm08 and a .280 Rem. If I feel I need something more, I'd rather have something that launches a heavier bullet, like a .35 Whelen or a 338-06 or my current favorite, a 9.3 x 62 , which fires a 250 Barnes X bullet at 2500 FPS and does not decapitate me when I squeeze the trigger.