Lifetime License

bigpaul

I wanted to get one as well but wasn't too sure what I would need to get.  I normally get the super sportsman, but if I wanted to get the lifetime for all my hunting I would need to buy the Sportsman lifetime ($765), Bowhunting lifetime ($235) and ML lifetime ($235) right?  Also, don't we normally pay i think like $10 for a doe tag, do we still need to do that separately?  If thats the case I may get the sportman this year and the bow and ML next year.  Its hard for me as Im getting married in October, so money is tight just as it is for you Elmo.  Congrats on the baby btw! (I know I planned it bad as oct 11th is right at the start of the season!)Thanks in advance

I dont pay for DMP but I bought my Lifetime 5 or 6 years ago.  I was told that if you get one now you will still have to pay $10 for the dmp.

CONGRATS!!

I got mine in Sept 2002 so this will be my 12 year.  I got the ML & archery at the same time for $125 each.  $500 for the Sportsmans license.  $750 out the door.

So instead of that $750 going toward conservation AND leveraging an additional $2,250 in federal funds, only $45 or less, possibly zero, will go to conservation. The other $705 is up for grabs for any NY state agency that needs it. That can be the welfare department, motor vehicles, transportation - you name it, any office except the DEC because, they don't need it...

So instead of that $750 going toward conservation AND leveraging an additional $2,250 in federal funds, only $45 or less, possibly zero, will go to conservation. The other $705 is up for grabs for any NY state agency that needs it. That can be the welfare department, motor vehicles, transportation - you name it, any office except the DEC because, they don't need it...

Somehow someway NYS seems to get even with me anyway.

Your really not going to say I shouldn't have bought a Lifetime License, are you?  Go bark up another tree.......................

• Like 1

Somehow someway NYS seems to get even with me anyway.

Your really not going to say I shouldn't have bought a Lifetime License, are you?  Go bark up another tree.......................

I don't know if this is you, but some of the same people who complain about access complain about the license fees being too high. What can I say?

I see broader problems as well. Sportsmen are buying less licenses and contributing less money and volunteer labor to conservation every year. Meanwhile non-shooters are becoming more engaged in conservation and hunters are still chanting about how they pay for conservation.

Hunters are generally unaware that the FWS, DEC, and each FWS refuge in the US, 3 of which are in NY, have active, formal long-term campaigns to engage the non-shooting public at large. One FWS refuge posted on its face book page ten women holding up the duck stamps they bought to promote buying them. The stamp has been used as an entrance fee for refuges the past 10 years or so and MILLIONS of non hunters buy them annually or pay an entry fee to the FWS. Hunters have been the conservation leaders since the 1930s; but we will be outspent in not very long due to the sheer numbers and active promotion to attract the public at large, again meanwhile hunting license sales continue their downward spiral. And have hunters tempered their swagger and stopped arrogantly boasting about paying for conservation?

I am not wealthy. Yet I have managed to by all my sporting licenses every year since the 1970s. I have also made cash donations to conservation organizations and have also donated a portion of my spare time to volunteer for conservation projects. There are many other hunters who do the same. Others however fail to see that money & labor are needed to sustain both access and game populations. Others may understand that, but don't care.

I received my lifetime license yesterday.As far as money being returned to the state I thought the Pittman-Robertson act returned money from sales tax collected for items like bows,firearms and the ammunition many of us can't buy due to it being out of stock . What is the amount returned to N.Y. from the Feds from the Pittman-Robertson Act ?

I received my lifetime license yesterday.As far as money being returned to the state I thought the Pittman-Robertson act returned money from sales tax collected for items like bows,firearms and the ammunition many of us can't buy due to it being out of stock . What is the amount returned to N.Y. from the Feds from the Pittman-Robertson Act ?

NY averages about $20 million a year for both the PR and DJ programs. It is not a sales tax, but an excise tax, paid for by manufacturers of guns, ammo, archery gear, motor boat oil, fishing tackle, and some other miscellaneous hunting & fishing related "components".

The money is not simply "returned to the state" as most people believe. It is disbursed in the form of grants which must be applied for and are competitive and must be approved by the FWS, and require the state to put up 25% of its own money. The 25% is usually derived from one or both of two sources; one source is private conservation organizations such as Ducks Unlimited and the other source is the state conservation fund. The state conservation fund is comprised of 8 separate accounts and is derived from sporting licenses, guide licenses, the voluntary habitat/access stamp, and even the state migratory bird stamp despite being phased out a number of years ago, and the misleadingly named "fish & game account".

The reason this ties into lifetime licenses is because those revenues go into the Fish & Game account. The fish and game account is diverted away from conservation and into the state's investment pool. It is a very complicated policy and it is written in very stilted language, it took us several hours to make sense of it. We summarized it the best we could. Nobody has offered an alternate interpretation of the laws. One critic from another forum simply sent us a copy of one of the laws, to which I replied, yeah, so what, we read this, it supports what we are saying...

I was getting worried!!! :crazy:

Finally came today, WOW that yellow is awful.  Probably easy for them to see than last years tags...   I was wondering why it took so long!!!  Did I upset someone???  Arg Just happy they are here, hope I get to use one of last years tags!!!  Getting my bow accuracy back a couple of tourneys before the season and I should be on mark.  GETSOME baby!!!

Edited by NFA-ADK

I got mine today.

Who really gives a hoot what color it is?  Make the damned thing pink and I'll give Breast cancer research a 20 spot each year for all I care.

That's actually a great idea to bad the people in charge would never go with it. Maybe we should start a campaign.

how does it work if you move? do you still keep the NY even if your out of state or does it transfer to the state you live?

I moved out of state 11 years ago and return every fall for Salmon and Bear/Deer hunt. The license is only for NY and I get all the turkey tags and free DMP tag. I wish I purchased the muzzleloader permit / lifetime before I left now.

Anyways, they mail it to wherever you live and you continue to enjoy while avoiding out of state license fees. Mine paid for itself in 4 years. lifetime license fee vs oos sportsman fee.

• Like 1

Am I reading you right mike? Are you knocking guys who bought the lifetime license? Because they wind up not giving as much money to the state as those who do not buy it? There are a lot of things to be grumpy about these days (Gun control, poor hunter recruitment, taxes, stupid govt spending, etc.), but lifetime license buyers? Really?

Am I reading you right mike? Are you knocking guys who bought the lifetime license? Because they wind up not giving as much money to the state as those who do not buy it? There are a lot of things to be grumpy about these days (Gun control, poor hunter recruitment, taxes, stupid govt spending, etc.), but lifetime license buyers? Really?

If they bought the lifetime and were aware that the revenue was going to be put in a separate account which is turned over to the state comptroller who transfers it into the state investment pool, yeah, I am knocking them. More importantly, I am informing, not knocking others who are not aware of this practice, especially those who have not yet made the mistake of buying a lifetime.

This is a hunting forum, if I wanted to discuss social issues, government spending, taxes etc.. I would be on a different forum or at a sportsmen federation meeting.

As far as gun control , I oppose any gun control, even handgun permits. But you are trivializing tens of millions of dollars (so far) diverted from conservation.

As far as hunter recruitment, let me ask you what is your personal stake in it? Because Steve Piatt or someone like that writes about it  becomes the sacred cow in the world of hunting? If you don't care about millions of conservation dollars lost via lifetime licenses, why do you care about loss of conservation revenue via dropping recruitment and increased desertion?

Go mischaracterize something someone else says, I don't have time for this. And there are more people on here then you think that are getting sick of it...

I had no idea that money generated from lifetime licenses somehow went into a separate pot than the money from regular licenses. And I'm willing to bet that many others didn't either. So thank you for enlightening us, honestly. That said, the way you went about saying it came off condesending, not educational. I don't even have a lifetime license and I read it that way.

As far as people getting sick of me "mischaracterizing" things, this is the first I'm hearing of it. My skin is pretty thick. if anyone has an issue with something I say, feel free to tell me.