food plots/baiting

Wow. Name calling on page 1 already! That usually doesn't start until page 3 or 4.... pretty pathetic!

Gonna be another one of "those" posts....

I'm already out of pop-corn.

I just made pizza.

Just think by page 5 or 6.....awesome.

• Like 1

If someone takes the time and effort to plant and sustain a food plot, it will only benefit the deer population.  The small amount of deer harvested is the rewards reaped...  Is a food plot considered baiting, yes but no more than hunting the beechnuts, acorn or apple trees on a ridge in woods. 

Hunting over a food plot for deer in a tree stand is not the same as stalking the woods but using a scoped rifle that goes out to 300+ yards is just as equal with a traditional bow...  To each his own I say.  I love deep woods but to say I do not envy the farms and big racked deer they produce would be a lie.  When a deer falls the results for the hunter are the same, does not matter if he is 30 ft up a tree with a scoped rifle or using a traditional bow stalking deep woods...  Joy and excitement is usually the results for both when an animal is harvested! 

Granted a LI buck would not be the same as an ADK buck but I would be just as happy with a beauty on farm land or deep woods...  Saying it is wrong to hunt a food plot is like saying hunting deer is wrong, it just does not work.  Food plots, natural or man made, are essential in patterning deer and yes they do draw them in...

Baiting as defined by the DEC is a large contributor to spreading disease, food plots do not cause this issue.  I have no issues with food plots or people hunting them, they put in the time and effort on their land so they get the rewards plain and simple. 

Makes me wonder if the complainers are state land hunters?  We get upset at some of the monsters taken off private land and need to vent, lol.

• Like 2

WesternNY...You are an idiot! Most likely you rely on food plots aka bait piles to shoot a deer. Yep....YOU are the stupid one!

what are you twelve. Just be glad I'm not a mod you would be having a mini vacation from here. These are your opinions. When you call names and throw tantrums you look like the idiot. Grow up and realize that is your opinion on hunting. I don't hunt food plots because I don't have any but I'm successful. If I had the ability I would. Doesn't make me any less of a hunter. I'd match my skill vs yours any day. Stating your opinion is fine but we would take you more seriously if you did it with more maturity.

• Like 1

I hunt on someones land that is used for what i call money crop. This year is soy. I set my blinds and stands according to the water hole and the beds and the path they take cutting through i don't think of it as a food plot and have not benefited from it in that way because by the time i get in there for shot gun its has been pulled.

Please note I did not directly call any specific person stupid.

I have done more for conservation in the past 5 years than I bet he has done in a lifetime.... a number of you know me and can vouch.  I continue to do conservation work and try to share my knowledge with others on this site, through outreach events, field days, seminars, etc etc

What are you doing.    Far too many people do not give back.  Far too many people get on forums stir the pot, make seriously inept statements.

Last year I harvested 2 deer.  One was a doe with a bow at 43 yard shot on a plot.... 43 yards with a bow is a challenge for me

The buck was in a funnel not on a plot opening morning of gun, a 3.5 year nice buck.  He too was a challenge, as I choose not to harvest 1.5 year old bucks.

All bucks on the past 5 years that are on my wall,  2 2.5's and a 3.5 and 4.5 were not taken on the plot.  Planting  a plot and other habitat improvements is about giving back and making the habitat better and giving back to the resource.  Hunters who choose to just take are consumers, hunters who improve habitat are managers.

My plots feed a ton of deer I have watched 16 to 18 deer a night feed in them, I harvest a few, but the gains for the wildlife are obvious.  Far easier to complain about someones property improvement than to take the time and labor and improve your footprint in the world.

• Like 3

I must be the worst hunter in the world because I plant 20 acres of foodplots and never shot a mature buck over any one of them.  I suck at baiting!  Maybe if I put one of those deer xing signs next to my food plots I will get them to cross there?

• Like 1

I think hunting  food plots is  the same as hunting a corn field, soy field, apple orchard etc.. I really don't see the difference. Oh... and did I mention that food plots are 100% legal ?

One thing that the anti food plot people don't realize is that a food plot doesn't equal a sure thing. In the past I have hunted food plots (and natural food sources) and not even seen a deer for days.

I think some people paint a picture in their head of some dumb a$$ and his dumb a$$ buddies,who don't know how to hunt,  throwing some seeds in the ground, that turn into plants that draw  every deer in the county, to that one location.

• Like 3

I suspect that there are good food-plotters and bad food-plotters..... lol. I have a food plot, and I didn't even plant it. It is just an area a short distance away from the house that I keep mowed. The grasses there are what ever naturally occurred and boy is it ever thick, better than the lawn around the house (my other "food plot"). The deer love it. It is secluded (surrounded by huge spruce trees) and it's beginning to look like a barnyard with all the deer crap everywhere. I do spend a few days hunting there each year. I have had pretty good success there.

I also have another food plot called my yard  and all those expensive shrubs and flowering plants. I have two  Rose-of-Sharon bushes that look like mushrooms. I have a circle of fencing around each one and the deer have trimmed it right to the fence. Above the fence where the deer can't reach they have spread out. They look kind of funny. You want some good "bait", just start planting a few tulip bulbs or expensive shrubbery. You'll draw them in like flies to sh*#@.  I'll be hunting this plot pretty heavy this year and start thinning these critters out a bit. I may spend a few afternoons with a front window open and the .270 hanging out, hunting over my "food plot".It's time to start filling those tags where it does the most good .... lol. :hunter-smiley-face:

LOL... I have a buddy who lives in the country. His house sits in the middle of an 8 acre plot. One year he ordered these "special tulip" bulbs. I think he got them straight from Holland. He talked about these bulbs for weeks. He planted them all around his house, barn and shed. In one or two nights the deer pawed up all of them and ate them. When he told me about it, I thought he was going to cry...LOL

If you put in the time to manage your food plot, which in some cases takes weeks/months/years to perfect then IMO more power to you and best of luck reaping the rewards.  If you decide to go to the store and buy a bag of corn, a mineral lick, or any of the other various deer attractants to put out in front of your stand in hopes of getting the deer close then you are lazy and this should remain illegal.