Check In 2010

5.9cummins

I too notice more surrounding sounds during deer season. I think its because of two things..

1 - When I hunt, I am more tuned into my surroundings than I am when Im working outside or just taking a walk. I notice the little details and subtleties more than usual, so I pick up on those things.

2 - Im spending way more time than usual outside in the area.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too notice more surrounding sounds during deer season. I think its because of two things..

1 - When I hunt, I am more tuned into my surroundings than I am when Im working outside or just taking a walk. I notice the little details and subtleties more than usual, so I pick up on those things.

2 - Im spending way more time than usual outside in the area.

Leaves dropping makes things louder, with out them as a buffer sound travels farther and louder. 

Add this to what he said

That's it...I'm chucking the no scent ...camo....stealth mode crap and going hunting with my DR mower!!....Holy kabowlly! ...I just Came  1ft from being jumped on by a really big doe  :O .....I was DRing the trails....before the rain and snow that's due....and coming back through.... on the big circle around the property I was making.... this doe jumps out of the brush and over the DR mower.....lands about 10ft away and stands there looking over her back at me...I hesitated for just a moment and kept right on mowing ....walking past her...I then looked back and there she still stood watching me...Well I now know what time they are moving ;) ;D

Got out after work today.  Hit an old spot that use to have a couple of runs going through it.  It has been a few years and it seemed all grown up and no trails anymore.  So I start to walk around to see what I can find and maybe sit for a ground blind.  I come up on one side of a ridge and reach the top only to hear some rustling in the leaves on the other downward slope of the ridgeline.  I get an arrow out of my quiver and start to sneak over to the other side of the ridge.  The rustling is moving from my left to right just over the horizon line so I can't see what is making the noise.  I wait untill the breeze blows and move from tree to tree.  Stopping behing a clump of beech trees I wait and find out that the noise is turkeys scratching for dinner.  I wait untill they move out, draw, release and whack I took a nice sized hen.  Not a deer tonight but I will take a turkey anyday. 

It ended up being a 17 yard shot.  The turkey didn't go 5 yards and the other birds didn't even know what happened.  They stood around like what was that untill I ran after the bird I hit then they scattered like turkeys.

post-927-131455358878_thumb.jpg

I'm starting to get pretty frustrated! I haven't seen anything! O not true I've hunted a farm the last week because my other property I hunt is a disaster from logging and they don't take a day off! I went in opening morning and sat ....about 9:30 I heard the skidder start up and a way they went, long story short every tree dropping sounded closer and closer till finally I look over my shoulder and there is a tree falling 50 yrds from me!!!!! Sooooo I left that ended my day! I then got permission to hunt this farm and it is nice for deer, problem is I'm on the ground hunting these field edges I see deer in EVERY night/evening and saw nothing untill........I'm walking out of this one field to my truck and there are 3 deer standing in the other field I usually see them in in the a.m. so I figure they must have been on to me and scurried across the road, grrrrrrrrr i have yet to see a deer I could even put binos on let alone put in my sights! BUT it's early yet i guess.

I got rained off my stand this afternoon. Wound up pretty soaked and had to leave early. This morning I was a little smarter. It was raining when I got up so I stayed in.

AND THIS STINKING WIND!!!!! Is it ever going to quit? The only thing I have heard on the forcast is that it is supposed to keep up until early next week when it is supposed to get worse.

Doc

Going into a little hidy hole i know. hoping to take a doe out and fill one of these tags... hoping to get a doe in close and stick her. i usually have great little chip shots out of this stand.

i shall see how i make out, im going in right after work. :)

Went out opening weekend and got blown away by the wind,  nothing was moving at my stand, not even a squirrel.  Received a call on the radio from my father at 10:30.  "Umm you want to give me a hand" he says.  Well we know what all that means. 

Now a little history. For the past 5 years my father has had chances and something has gone wrong every time.  Turned out that there was a malfunction with the bow, one of the cams was screwed up.  So this year he went out and purchased a new one. 

To sum it up, one shot one kill.  Nice big bodied 6 point.  Good to see my mentor is back on track.

Going out this weekend to give it another shot. 

Congrats to your Dad....

Well yesterday I went out in the afternoon to the chicken coop blind.....Yep it rained but good and I stayed nice and dry...about 5pm ...what I thought were two fawns...but .... turned out last years fawn with her own fawn..both small...came strolling by down wind of me at 13 yards...the doe stopped parallel to me and just looked around for several minutes....I had a doe wafer on my coat but the chickens were what saved the day...and with as much comotion those hens and the rooster were making.... the deer didn't think twice about hanging around there...any how... after they went to the field I was hoping for more company of a bigger size but nothing...got packed up and headed up the trail home trying not to spook the dope and fawn in field...managed to walk right into 7 deer while watching the two ::) ...they spooked as a group but only 40 yrds then stood there trying to  see what scared them20 min later they gave up and it was dark enough for me to start home got there at 7pm and I was only 200yrds away ??? ...but ...The area is still good

This a.m. went to 14ft camo stand...no sounds at all until I got in the stand and then 400yrds up the hill where I had just walked through was...hhmm not sure...either a doe blowing or a fox or yote making a racket through the woods...I'm leaning to the fox..... sounded kinda strange ...any how... I just got in from 6hrs on stand and only saw a squirrel

Doc I'll take the wind IF ...They could just get the direction right...for more than 5min >:(

Good luck All

I'm from down in the hill-country, with all the valleys and crosswise ravines, etc. Just all the features to create thermals and all kinds of wind-baffles, and it is a rare event that you don't see the wind see-sawing back and forth. In fact, these stronger winds really do keep the winds on more of a steady course than some of the more gentle breezy days. Anyway, I totally understand your frustration with winds that don't behave. I also share the frustration of the weatherman never being able to predict wind directions. I think they always are talking about the wind directions up at that nice flat Rochester airport....lol.

Doc

Opener was a bust for me...saw a deer as I was zipping up my pants. She never saw me, I just couldn't get to my bow in time. My father on the other hand was successful at dropping a doe.....being the good son that i am, once he let me know over the radio, I went to help(5 more minutes was all i needed:)). he called me at 9:47 with deer down. I packed up and began to climb doen my tree in my climber. Once i touched the ground, I looked at my bow and said "maybe i should knock an arrow". Well, less then a minute later and after I didn;t knock an arrow, I hear "snap". I turn around and there was a big bodied 8 or 10 that just crested the hill 20 feet behind me....I saw him for all of 4 secnds as he took off, but it would have been my biggest buck to date. The curse words were flying as he ran off and i radioed my father. The deer ran 20 yards from him full boar and when i reached him all i saw was his jaw on the ground....Now I am not saying that if I were still in the stand that I would have shot this deer, but I would like to think that I am a good son and that i sacrificed myself to help my father...ahahah

Sat today from 3:00 until dark. Wind wind and more wind until about 5:15. Once it stopped blowing the squirrels showed up then at 5:30, three does came charging out of the funnel I was watching. Could not stop them at all. One minute later, a 4 pt came at the same pace. Clearly he was chasin some tail. They were all gone before I had a chance to get excited.

Two more does arrived out of a near swamp as I was climbin down. At least I know there around.

Ya Ya...

.. I should be out there but that nasty ole Mother Nature got me again...but I had 2 first this a.m....

first buck in range this season and a good 10yrd broad side shot...I didn't take ...he was a 4pt and I try real hard to stick to big 6 and up rule.....

The second was ...he was the first buck I been able to call off a doe he was chasing....tried the grunt nothing...broke out the doe estrus and I heard a grunt down the hill from and then he turned and came right to me....stopped for a perfect shot opportunity and then went behind the tree and stopped again....waited as long as I could before leaving the other grunt I heard again...going away...there is a big boy out there...from the pre-dawn long guttural grunt I heard and the tracks I saw going past my stand  ;D

Well, I sure couldn't complain about the wind this morning. It was dead quiet, and it did pay off with a lot of action. I had some goofy little 6 point pushing does all around my ground stand. I had him within 15 yards, but when I say he was a 6 point, I mean a nicely shaped but teeny, almost silly-looking, rack. He was a real small body sized deer too. Just as I decided not to shoot him, the does formed a nice circle around my blind, but I couldn't draw or move because I always had a couple of them that would have seen me if I had moved. They aren't supposed to circle the hunter, so naturally I had no cover on the back-side of the blind. It kind of left me in a bad situation and unable to do anything. In all the years, I don't think I have ever had that happen before. All told there were 8 deer (7 does and the one buck). I don't know why they never got my wind. But it sure was exciting for a few minutes until the little buck finally chased all of the does away. All that up-close-and-personal activity and I never got to shoot.

I also had a little episode earlier with 4 raccoons that came waddling through the woods and headed straight for the tree that my stand is constructed around. I had to step out and spook them off before I wound up with them in my lap.

All in all, it was a great morning and once I finish lunch, I'll be heading back out for the afternoon. I want to check another chunk of the hill and then take up a stand about 3:00.

Doc

Checked the journal, been in the stand for 20hrs so far. I've only seen 2 very small bucks (3pt & 6pt) and 1 unknown. That's 1 deer/every 6.67hrs stand time. OUCH!!

Another thing that I was thinking about this morning is that I've seen 3 in the past week and ALL have been between first light and 7:30am. Nothing after!

Thought I was in deer hunting heaven this AM.

No wind, could see movements and thought I could hear sounds okay.

That's until 3 deer were on top of me at 20yds before I knew they were there.

Couldn't move, so let them walk. Saw 3 more (doe/fawns) about mid-day.

That's more deer than I've seen total for the 1st week.

Get past the full moon & the 60-70º temps - should start to see more movement.

Halloween has always been a deer movement date.

Little movement to/from food sources upto then & ramps up fairly quickly after that day.