Check In 2010

5.9cummins

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

passed up a four point and a five point and had a nice 8 point in the 120's chase a doe past my stand. Ended up calling him back into my 20 yrd mark after he lost his doe. The shot was low and only found a few drops of blood. I am so bummed. Last I saw of him he had re found his doe and he was headed for Timbuktu chasing her again.

I tried simulating the shot 5 more times on my 3-d target. Aimed in the same spot and sat at the same height and everything and every time the arrow hits dead center of the target. Not sure what happened.  I went out this morning for a few hrs and saw a doe and a young one. The 10 point is still a no show, I hope he didn't get shot yet.

Yeah i have an 20 ft elevated shooting platform i shoot from sitting and standing. I prefer to shoot sitting since there is less of a chance to get spotted moving. I think what happened is I was aiming for 20 yards and the deer was actually at 23 or 24 yards just enough to make it drop out of the kill area. As soon as the arrow hit I knew it was to low and was trying to find the rewind button frantically to get a do over but no luck. ::) Oh well that's why its hunting and not deer killing.  100% fair chase got to love it. That makes 3 good ones sited already all within 50 yrds or closer, gun season is looking up this yr.

Sam 4 blade 100g. He went much farther then ever happened to me in many years about 250 yards. Put the arrow right behind the shoulder, centered up and down just right.

For some reason he left the woods,we were near the edge and went along a hedgerow to an over grown creek bottom.

First one I had to track with a cut on contact in years .

Sat most of the day saw no deer.I did find more rubs all fresh 1 scrap that looked to be fresh.I did see a Martin Or Weasle or some kind of ferrett.It was pretty large all black.Never saw something like this where I hunt.Watched it for a long time.Leaving Friday morning for gun season Hope I see something next weekend.

I've spent probably....... oh 108 hours in a treestand in the past two weeks, in various different stands.  Passed god knows how many does, several 4 pointers, and this same STUPID spike probably 7 times.  I do think I got scouted by bigger bucks at least 3 or 4 times, most notably last evening, but they still won't come out in daylight. 

I need a decoy out to get the bigger ones to walk into an arrow.  Rubs are definitely picking up, their patterns appear to be different this week from last week (probably due to the heat).  I'm looking more forward to the muzzleloader/archery season than rifle right now, but I'll be out opening day.

What time of day are you stand hunting, and where abouts?  Deep woods?  Scrub?  Swamp?  Field edge?

I honestly stopped bothering to hunt in the morning this weekend, between the warm temps, and the total lack of light in the AM I thought it was pointless.  Sat field edges Fri/Sat/Sun and saw deer every time.  Wednes/Thurs/Fridaymorn, nothing, was sitting deep woods and swamps did not see a DAMN thing.  The week before those spots were jumping, had dozens of trail cam pics every night just after dark on this one apple tree in a bottleneck, this week almost nothing.

I'm praying for some cold weather.

I have a stand that is about 100yards off a swap-lake.I am between bedding and feeding with heavy pines on both sides and some cearing in the middle.This stand has been very productive in the past.I don't think they are into heavy chasing yet.I am seeing a lot of sign so it shouldn't be to long.

Checking in from Chautauqua County and it has been super slow so far.  Been in three different stands of mine that have produced over the past two seasons.  I have only seen maybe three deer in almost 10 days and I've been out there alot  maybe too much  ( if that's possible !).  I did get a shot at a 6pt the last week of Oct.  but missed low, but got the tree. 

Not sure what's going on , but maybe the nice weather keepin them in bed all day.  I've seen tons of scrapes and some nasty rubs, surely they are around  but most likely doing the midnite trot.  First time in along time I've thought about hangin the bow up , but somethin inside me says no !  I did tune up the shotguns this afternoon , that felt good, gave me something to look forward to.  From all I have read by some well respected whitetailers, the rut this year should be timed with shotgun season, later than the past few years. I hope it picks up before then, I would really like to get one with the bow again, it makes all the waiting in trees worth while.  Gonna give it a rest for a couple of days and try it again.

Checking in from Cayuga county. It has been a great year so far. I shot my buck on the first day of my hunting vacation this year. Now I have the first 2 weeks of gun off! Since I shot my buck early I have only hunted a total of 7 days with the bow. During those 7 days I saw 24 doe/fawns and 14 buck. We practice QDM on the 90 ac that I own. Several of the surrounding hunters do as well,to a certain degree. It's amazeing how much better the hunting is when you don't shoot the first spike that walks by. We also try to keep our doe numbers in check which has really made our rutting activity more intense than in years past. I was able to take my younger brother out and watch him shoot a nice doe (his 2nd deer with a bow). It was a blast. Here is a picture of my buck that I shot on 10/29/10 @ 7:40 a.m. The deer ran 45yds before falling. There is no better hobby/life style than deer and habitat management! Good luck and shoot straight!

post-1855-131455375629_thumb.jpg