New York Residents Can Now Take Hunter Safety Course Online

fasteddie

I know that you have to be 12 to get your license and to hunt but do you have to wait until you are 12 to take your hunters safety course? My son just turned 11. Just wondering if he needed to wait until he turned 12 before he took the course or if he is eligible to take it before then? Any info would be great. Thanks

You can be eleven to take the course but 12 to handle the live fire portion of the test. Otherwise they use air guns if you are 11.

I've been looking for a local course for my son but there are none close to home. The online course looks like a good idea but there is no listing for field days that are available. Gonna have to call the DEC on Monday to get more info.

Edited by Deerthug

About Courses

• Hunter Education: required for all hunting licenses, including bow and arrow. Covers basic firearms handling and outdoor skills plus hunting techniques. Minimum course time: 10 hours. Minimum age for course: 11 years. (Minimum age for a license is 12 years.) Attention: All students under 16 years of age are required to bring a permission slip (PDF) (54 KB) signed by a parent or legal guardian.

Bowhunter Education: required to hunt deer and bear with bow and arrow. Teaches the things that make bowhunting a special challenge, making you a more successful hunter. Minimum course time: 8 hours. Minimum age for course: 11 years. Note: you must be 12 years of age to hunt big game with bow and arrow.

Combination Hunter Education and Bowhunter Education Course:required for all hunting licenses, including bow and arrow. This is a home study course that requires the student to complete both a hunter workbook and bowhunter workbook before attending the course, followed by a minimum 12 hour field day course. Age requirements remain the same as above for both Hunter and Bowhunter Education.

Trapper Education: required for all new trappers. Covers how to trap responsibly, avoiding unwanted species. Teaches students how to treat pelts to produce marketable furs. Minimum course time: 8 hours. No age limit.

Waterfowl Hunter Education: required for some special hunting areas. This course helps you identify ducks, geese and other waterfowl on the wing. Minimum course time: 3 hours. No age limits.

You can be eleven to take the course but 12 to handle the live fire portion of the test. Otherwise they use air guns if you are 11.

I've been looking for a local course for my son but there are none close to home. The online course looks like a good idea but there is no listing for field days that are available. Gonna have to call the DEC on Monday to get more info.

I don't think live fire is a part of the test............neither one of my kids had it included in the course when they took it, unless that is something that is part of the new online course.

Edited by jjb4900

Here's the description of what to expect on field day.

What To Expect at the Field Day

At the Field Day, you must successfully complete the remaining course requirements, which include: 4–6 hours of instruction, a field exercise, a live-fire exercise, and New York’s Hunter Education Certification exam.

It does seem to be a problem that gets worse every year, where people are struggling to find one of these courses that coincides with the busy schedules that everyone is under these days. But there still is a legal need for a "hands-on" portion of the certification. So, I guess I am a bit confused as to what is really accomplished by all this.

Perhaps the idea is to shorten the time requirement of the "in-person" part of the course so that more courses will be available for easier scheduling. Is that it? Shorter courses = more volunteer instructors which then equals more courses available?

• Like 1

For once they finally are doing something right....You guys are telling it how it is now..I had to take the live fire part...but it was voluntary...do to all the woman that actually admitted to taking the course to get their husbands another tag...then allowed a certificate....neither of our kids had to do a live fire tests for gun or bow....This should be mandatory...and done by DEC personal...

For once they finally are doing something right....You guys are telling it how it is now..I had to take the live fire part...but it was voluntary...do to all the woman that actually admitted to taking the course to get their husbands another tag...then allowed a certificate....neither of our kids had to do a live fire tests for gun or bow....This should be mandatory...and done by DEC personal...

I am surprised they would grant a certificate to the women who admit to only taking the class so they can get the husbands an extra tag since that is illegal. I had a neighbor who I used to live by that shot a nice 8 pt opening day one year. Dropped it off at processors on way home. The DEC showed up after he left. While he was on the way home they call his house and his wife says she didn't shoot that buck her husband did and used her tag. He lost the deer to the food pantry. Was charged with illegally taking a deer an a couple other things and got like $2k in fines. Surprised they would let them take the class if they admit they aren't there for themselves.

I am surprised they would grant a certificate to the women who admit to only taking the class so they can get the husbands an extra tag since that is illegal. I had a neighbor who I used to live by that shot a nice 8 pt opening day one year. Dropped it off at processors on way home. The DEC showed up after he left. While he was on the way home they call his house and his wife says she didn't shoot that buck her husband did and used her tag. He lost the deer to the food pantry. Was charged with illegally taking a deer an a couple other things and got like $2k in fines. Surprised they would let them take the class if they admit they aren't there for themselves.

It would be totally legal if her intention was to get extra dmp's to sign over to him.........back when the dmp's were party permits, they required 2-3 people on each one, my wife was nice enough to sit through the course and get certified so I had enough people to apply. She also had enough interest to hunt for two years until she shot a deer, that was the end of her hunting.

• Like 1

It would be totally legal if her intention was to get extra dmp's to sign over to him.........back when the dmp's were party permits, they required 2-3 people on each one, my wife was nice enough to sit through the course and get certified so I had enough people to apply. She also had enough interest to hunt for two years until she shot a deer, that was the end of her hunting.

Yes you are correct there. My buddy just shot a buck and used tag in his wife's name which is why he got busted. I forgot about being able to sign over the doe permits.

Basically, like a straw purchase.

I think there's a difference between a hunter not able to use the DMP tags and signing them over to a buddy, and a spouse that will never hunt yet get tags for the sole purpose of going then away. Is it legal? Probably. Is it ethical? You decide.

• Like 1

Well IMO for gun and bow the person should have to show at least a little proficiency in either handling and shooting a target with gun and or bow to pass...that would clean up the spouse usage abuse big time..

I thought that when those multiple person party tags were issued that all parties had to be a field when it was used?...Back then we'd pick standers and do drives...if a shot ran out the one stander couldn't shoot until the other stander radioed them ..that was morning and evening...all the drivers could shoot were buck

Sorry dbl post...but....

I think there's a difference between a hunter not able to use the DMP tags and signing them over to a buddy, and a spouse that will never hunt yet get tags for the sole purpose of going then away. Is it legal? Probably. Is it ethical? You decide.

I'd bet even money...some of the same guys that whine about how NYS needs AR's

Edited by growalot

Well IMO for gun and bow the person should have to show at least a little proficiency in either handling and shooting a target with gun and or bow to pass...that would clean up the spouse usage abuse big time..

I thought that when those multiple person party tags were issued that all parties had to be a field when it was used?...Back then we'd pick standers and do drives...if a shot ran out the one stander couldn't shoot until the other stander radioed them ..that was morning and evening...all the drivers could shoot were buck

from what I remember, only the person who actually possessed it could use it.......I don't think all listed on it had to be present.

Sorry dbl post...but....

I'd bet even money...some of the same guys that whine about how NYS needs AR's

DMP'S are even now more precious in the areas where AR's were forced down our throats.....if I get denied a DMP, I have no problem having my wife buy her license in the hopes of getting one that I can use.

Great NYS has entered the 2,000's !

Biggest problem for my kid was finding 3 nights, 5 30 to 10 30 ( with drive time) in one week to take the class,same for others I knew.

As it was she barely cracked the book and said it was the easiest test she ever took!

She got her BS Summa cum laude and some of her classes she did mostly online work,seldom going to class, so ya I think a hunter safety class on line is no big deal and about time.

Show up once to show what you know and how you handle a gun and be done with it.