Best week for RUT???

nybuckboy

One week of vacation time is the epitomy of a decision that needs a ton of thought.

First, it depends on where you are hunting. Second, you need to balance the "best" week with the "best" opportunities and match that with potential risk factors.

Stats show that the 8-12 of November in large (macro level) produce the most P/Y bucks. Now, there are factors that skew this, but it's fairly reliable trend data.

The first week to me has a HUGE variable that tends to rear its ugly head once every few years...warm temps and southerly winds. It can surely happen in that second week, too, but historically, it is much more common in the first week. Nothing like banking on vacation that first week and being sunk into 60-70 degree temps.

I strongly prefer the second week for the best overall opportunity and least risk when needing to pick one single week.

Oh I have other times to hunt as well... weekends, short mornings (go to the office late), early afternoons where I can be in the stand by 3:30. My schedule this time of year can be more flexible and my staff and superiors know this. If was going to take a few days which week would be best. I'm leaning toward the later week, 11-15.

I have always been told for the rut second week of November. My father always took off the week of Veterans Day when he hunted and never came home empty handed I shot my first rut buck last year on November 14. I

Find whenever you have a vacation during hunting your chances of

Bagging one are increased because you have more time to spend hunting and the more time you spend hunting the better your chances rut or no rut.

Are you obligated to take all 5 days of vacation during a Mon-Fri work week? Take two days one week & 3 the other..!

If you're basing your time off per Alsheimer's predictions, believe the last time his "Rutting Moon" fell later in November we actually had a normal to early rut. Of course, the weather has a definite influence on their activity.

I have taken the 8th and the 12th off all day. I have some mornings and afternoons open and will probably just take them as I can rather than take as vacation days. I do prefer mid week days as there tends to be less likelihood of other hunters messing things up.

I think some thought should be given as to what stage of the rut is really the best for hunting.

For me, while the chase phase may be the most visible and frantic part of rut, I find getting within bow range of bucks or does that are flat out running through areas that are not even parts of their normal patterns is not really all that useful. For me, I have a lot better success during the more calm phase where bucks are scent checking trails and trying to find receptive does. They are very busy at doing this and are generally on familiar doe trails and patterns. That's a lot easier to get set up on.

Well I got to work today after posting my response to this and It just so happens our vacation bid had made it to me and I took November 5 - November 20th. I hope those two weeks are productive for me again this year. :)

Edited by noahmstone

Well I got to work today after posting my response to this and It just so happens our vacation bid had made it to me and I took November 5 - November 20th. I hope those two weeks are productive for me again this year. :)

Well done. Well done.

I generally hunt upstate for opener of bow weekend

then i hunt every weekend here on Long Island that i'm not upstate

Veterans day weekend (4 days) (bow upstate)

I head up Friday before opening day rifle and come home Wed.

and then the last weekend of rifle upstate

then shotgun on long island

then rest...

where I hunt, I would take the first week on Novemebr..  It always seemslike +/- a few days around halloween are always good.  Not always the craziest in terms of sightings and movement, but always seems to be good for shot opportunities at quality bucks.