A sad experience

PREDATE

God set humans apart from animals in that he gave us the ability to reason....and to have empathy....It's not being God like ...it's being human...and if he didn't want us to use those gifts...than he wouldn't have given them to us...Correct?.....but then again perhaps I'm wrong...it's the ape in us that we should nurture ::(

How is a deer with a broken neck caused by being hit by a car a victim of nature? Cars are not natural, therefore, any deer (or other animal) hit by one is not a victim of nature. Now if it was a deer being attacked by a coyote, I would not try to stop the coyote, because that is a natural occurrence.

His decision was correct because there is no such thing as a wrong decision. Unless you can see the outcome of a situation from both sides of a decision then there is no way of knowing if the decision you made is incorrect. Therefore there is no such thing as a wrong decision.

[/size]

[/size]We spend billions of dollars a year to house people who make wrong decisions ( I am not stating that the original poster belongs in jail I am just stating that there is such a thing as a wrong decision )

That poor doe I hate seeing animals struggle like that.

I'm certainly not afraid to put SOCIETYS laws to the way side to help an animal out like that whose obviously struggling terribly and has days maybe hours to live.  I don't care what it might look like on paper ill take that deer bow or gun. Its the ethical thing to do seeing that it was hit by car. we already injured it, shouldn't it be our job to finish what we started if givin the chance like that??

There is no doubt in my mind legal or not, I would have put that deer down. We are all hunters, but I think most if not all of respect and admire animals therefore we should not ignore a animal that is suffering. Wether it be a feral cat,  deer , coyote etc.... that was found hurt and beyond recovery and was ultimately going to die, I would choose to move the process of life along and end the animals suffering. I had once in the past put a wounded deer down and used my tag. It happened to be a button buck that had been shot by another hunter and the deer had bedded down near me.

I have to agree with Bubba. I would have call DEC. I actually carry our local DEC officers card with my hunting tag so I have it while in the woods if needed.

the easier solution would hav ebeen to contact a dec officer and have him or her come and take care of it.  If you put an arrow in that deer and do not take it, it is illegal.

Same thing happened to me many years ago in a bird dog trial in another state. Doe got caught in a fence, coyotes eating her guts out...still alive. Everyone in the gallery, the judges, handlers,  said the same thing, "I'm not going to get a fined for killing a deer out of season..." I said, "Fine...you walk on down, I'll catch up." When everyone was out of sight, I found a good-sized stick and swung it like a baseball bat. Hit a home run and felt good about it.

Same thing happened to me many years ago in a bird dog trial in another state. Doe got caught in a fence, coyotes eating her guts out...still alive. Everyone in the gallery, the judges, handlers,  said the same thing, "I'm not going to get a fined for killing a deer out of season..." I said, "Fine...you walk on down, I'll catch up." When everyone was out of sight, I found a good-sized stick and swung it like a baseball bat. Hit a home run and felt good about it.

i would have done the same thing. IMO, it makes me sick to think that humans are so governed by our laws that they wont say F the law this is what has to be done knowing that the current laws governing this particular situation do not allow humane acts to be taken, and instead walk away knowing that the animal will continue to suffer until it finally passes just because on some piece of paper it says its illegal to take the animal out of season etc... in these instances i dont care what the law is im going to do what is right for the animal. string me up, fine me, whatever idc atleast ill go to sleep at night knowing i did the right thing that day.

sometimes in life we have to do what we feel is right even if a law has to

i would have done the same thing. IMO, it makes me sick to think that humans are so governed by our laws that they wont say F the law this is what has to be done knowing that the current laws governing this particular situation do not allow humane acts to be taken, and instead walk away knowing that the animal will continue to suffer until it finally passes just because on some piece of paper it says its illegal to take the animal out of season etc... in these instances i dont care what the law is im going to do what is right for the animal. string me up, fine me, whatever idc atleast ill go to sleep at night knowing i did the right thing that day.

i would have done the same. sometimes in life we have to do what we feel is right even if a law has to bent or broken a little.

and if you get caught "bending" the law dont complain when you get a ticket and possibly lose your hunting priveleges for a while.  Then the LEO will be an a$$ho** for giving you the ticket.  Call them first rather than answer to them later. 

I am all for ending the duffereing of an animal.  I took my old lab to the vet today, and only one of us came home.  But you may want to look up the word ethical, because in the terms of hunting, it would be unethical to finish off that deer.  That being said, I can not fault any person for doing what they thought was the right thing.

May not be ethical by the definition but it is moral....and I would have done it. I dispatched a deer on the thruway. lady and guy hit it..broke it's back and the lady was freaking out. The guy was a panty waste and would do nothin. I was not hunting and the only thing available to me was their tire iron. When the police arrived they never even questioned it when the lady told them what happened.

I am all for ending the duffereing of an animal.  I took my old lab to the vet today, and only one of us came home.  But you may want to look up the word ethical, because in the terms of hunting, it would be unethical to finish off that deer.  That being said, I can not fault any person for doing what they thought was the right thing.

May not be ethical by the definition but it is moral....and I would have done it. I dispatched a deer on the thruway. lady and guy hit it..broke it's back and the lady was freaking out. The guy was a panty waste and would do nothin. I was not hunting and the only thing available to me was their tire iron. When the police arrived they never even questioned it when the lady told them what happened.

Now there is a pic for the anit's to get. A man beating a deer beside the road with a tire iron.  Again  am not saying that I would not do something, I am ust saying there could be consequences.

I dont know about where you live, but when I call a DEC officer, they show up and take care of the problem. Or they would give me verbal permission to take care of the situation, so there would be no repercussions. I cant see going to court paying a fine and risking losing my huntiing priveleges for 5 years to put an animal out of its misery.

Did you finish it off with the tire iron? the lady tried to tell the cops what you did?

i agree, sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands and do whats right. Its hard to watch a deer sit there and suffer out the remaining minutes/hours/days of its life painfully... when i can do something about it.

Well I live in region 8 and have witnessed calls made to report a deer obviously struck by a car in a field across from my house. my neighbor was asked if the vehicle that hit it was present..."no"...is the deer in the road.."no, in the field"....they never showed.

and just an FYI...you do tend towards the darmatic and exteme in your post...lol...beating a deer...lol....one blow...perfected the technique on pigs as a kid.

I was being an anti dramatic.  What would you think th eheadline would have said if someone took a pic of that?  Man beats deer defenseless deer to death with a tire iron. Draatic or not, it is the reality of the situation. Then you get ticketed for doing so and the rest well who knows. 

I don't recall seeing anything here (but I know we have some law enforcement and ex-LE on this forum). I believe that every time an officer discharges their guns, that shot needs to be accounted for and lots of paper work filled out? Can anyone confirm? If that is the case I would think i would rather have someone else take care of it, wouldn't you if you were in there shoes. I think I remember another forum member saying in the past that he had put down several deer for officers over the years.......In any event, in this case i would have shot the deer to put it out of its misery. Seriously, shoot it, wait for it to expire and take your arrow. At that point it is just another unrrecoverd deer.....I think that the orignal poster said that they didn;t want to burn the tag due to the cost (again, I understand that everyone on this forum is in a different situation), but this day in age I wouldn't mind burning the tag.......but the arrow would hurt a little....$10 DMP vs. a $20ish something arrow.

Mr. B was driving to work and a big spike....they looked just like 12 in daggers....ran in to the side of his vehical....just behind the drivers door...it was thrashing around in the road at 5 am and he called to have me call 911...knowing they'd come out for me...So I did and a State trooper arrived at the same time I did in the pic up....the buck died just as we got there.....He had no weapon and the deer was unable to stand yet flailing it's legs around on the road so bad ...he didn't want to get clipped by it or another car on a dark country Rd....Which was smart on his part....But the cops arrived fast... I was dressed and just jumped in the truck right after calling...He gave me a tag.... Mr.B went to work after helping to load him up and I went home and dressed and hung the deer...It had left 2 4in gashes in the truck just behind the drivers door....That was around Canadice/ Hemlock lakes in REG 8

A sad experience. But the value and judgement made by Predate at the time, is intrinsic to his personal values and judgement. Is letting nature take it's course corrrect - yes. The conflict comes from the fact the "Nature" is cruel and makes no moral judgement. The conflict comes from man as a hunter  - Has A Conscience. A broken Neck.. personally I would have shot her, left her for the coyotes who were going to have her anyway. And left it at that. Use one of my tags - No. 

Not that same. But BAITING DEER in many states is LEGAL. Just because it is the law & legal, doesn't make it moral or ethical. 

I have no judgement. Nor do I wish to be judged for what I might do. The circumstance and the hunter. As they say.. "It is what it is".

i dont know guys i think that i would of shot her and put her out pending on how badly she was hit i would let her lay and i would be able to go home and say you know i did the right thing honestly if you called dec and told them they probably would say go a head and take care of it because they are so under staffed and busy

john

I would have shot her. No need for an animal that is clearly doomed to suffer any longer than need be. If I had an extra tag I would have put it on her if the meat was good. If I only had one tag and didn't feel comfortable taking the meat I would have shot her and left her for the yotes and everyone else that would have eaten her anyhow after a long and drawn out death or being ripped apart while still alive.

I don't recall seeing anything here (but I know we have some law enforcement and ex-LE on this forum). I believe that every time an officer discharges their guns, that shot needs to be accounted for and lots of paper work filled out? Can anyone confirm? If that is the case I would think i would rather have someone else take care of it, wouldn't you if you were in there shoes. I think I remember another forum member saying in the past that he had put down several deer for officers over the years.

Yes, LEOs need to fill out paperwork any time they fire their weapon while on duty. I have shot a bunch of deer that were hit by cars because the LEOs would rather not do the paperwork. They just made sure I was safe about it.