Neighbor's barking dog.

First-light

I live in a residential area. Only there two weeks now. My next door neighbor has two dogs. They are out most of the day when they are at work or on the weekends.

There is a 6 foot vinyl fence between the properties. The bigger dog barks all day long. The dogs were out on saturday all day. I think I went to sleep at 11 and they were still out. As soon as these people get home they let them in and the barking stops. Sunday I went in my backyard and the bigger dog knocked out a panel in the fence. His head was through the opening barking away at me. At this point I went over and introduced myself and told the guy what was going on. He said the dog was friendly and introduced me to it. He was correct and the dog seemed fine. I told him about the all day barking and jumping on the fence on saturday. He said there is nothing he can do about it. At that point I didn't press the issue. I could call code enforcement and put a complaint in. I'm thinking about talking to neighbors, as I get to know them, to see what they have done. It will get unbearable for me at some point. Anyone have any luck going down this road. Clearly the owners fault here.

We had neighbors leave dogs out before, we called the dog warden and he handled it. A year later the house was forclosed on and those people are long gone.

Personaly we have bark collars for our dogs, they go nuts when someone walks by and even crazier when someone comes in the drive way.

I can't beleive there is nothing the owner could do, he could crate his dog in the basement, by a bark collar, or try to train it out of him. Sounds like a lazy pet owner to me, the worst kind.

Edit to add, after the warden talked to them they got rid of the dogs in my case.

Edited by Doewhacker

Video tape about an hour of the dogs doing that and give it to him and ask again if he can do anything.If it doesn't do anything for you play that recording out your window when you leave everyday as loud as you can when they are home and give them a taste of their own medicine.

• Like 1

Just be direct with the guy. Don't play games,  Tell him to fix the problem.  Tell him to get bark collar for the dogs.  Give him a due date...get the dogs to stop by X day or you will need to get the court involved.  It sucks that he's making you be the hard ass, but if it truely bothers you, you need to take the lead

My dogs barked all the time,  the collars corrected the behavior in minutes.    

Where I lived in the past,If a persons pet animal made whineing or barking for more then 15 minutes continous you could call the police,1st. time they would get a worning. 2nd. time they would get a fine.After that the animal would be taken from them and put in a pound and the owner woul have to pay for there upkeep.

Your neighbor will either be reasonable or not....I've had this situation myself and several friends have also. When you approach the person, be polite yet firm and be certain that the conversation ends with you asking for a resolution. If the person responds "hey, they're dogs and dogs bark" then you're in for the long haul. Document everything and go immediately to the town authorities. There are some miserable and very selfish dog owners out there. Continuous barking is unacceptable and you have every right to take action. Just remember that you want to have a good relationship so you need to try your best to work this out. Once a relationship with a neighbor goes bad, it's probably done for good.

Edited by Woodcock

All good info you guys put out there. I think one more conversation needs to take place before the law gets involved. 

"Where I lived in the past,If a persons pet animal made whineing or barking for more then 15 minutes continous you could call the police,1st. time they would get a worning. 2nd. time they would get a fine.After that the animal would be taken from them and put in a pound and the owner woul have to pay for there upkeep." 

Same in my town. That will be my course after the next conversation.

All good info you guys put out there. I think one more conversation needs to take place before the law gets involved. 

"Where I lived in the past,If a persons pet animal made whineing or barking for more then 15 minutes continous you could call the police,1st. time they would get a worning. 2nd. time they would get a fine.After that the animal would be taken from them and put in a pound and the owner woul have to pay for there upkeep." 

Same in my town. That will be my course after the next conversation.

Hopefully it won't have to come to that......nothing worse than being on bad terms with a neighbor......a few years back we had a dog that was a barker, we bought a small hand held device that when the dog barked, you would press the button and it sent out a high pitched sound, that couldn't be heard by humans, that made the dog stop barking and it worked......it definitely had the range to affect a dog next door.