What is wrong with this does back?

MACHINIST

I will guess that it is the shedding of her summer coat. The infra-red kind of accentuates the look of it. The under-hair is a dark brown instead of the lighter reddish color, and the black and white of the IR makes it all a bit exaggerated.

Oh crap! That dark spot grabbed my attention and didn't notice the missing stuff ..... lol. I suppose that could have been done by just about anything. Auto, coyote, bear, dog, old hunting wound, etc.  Doesn't seem to bother the way that she walks or anything.

• Like 1

It could be just the winter coat coming in. The ir makes it impossible to really see if if is loss or just new winter coat I process.

If not...the most realistic cause of that is wire fencing. When you see shows on tv and see that spot on the back...from a fence. Wire fencing is much more common out there.

Not sure what to make of it. But it could be a natural deformaty. It doesn't look like the doe is unhealthy.

Thats what I am thinking also,she gets around just fine and has 2 fawns with her.If it happened last year I would imagine she wouldnt have fawns or would have died trying to mother them with a wound that bad.

Spoiler - makes her run faster.  Its the latest trend.  Deer are amazing when it come to healing.  Look like that was a pretty tramtic injury at some point.  Perhaps a slug?  Who knows.  One to pass one since you will be missing part of that delicious backstrap area.

It is an injury. This happens to our cows occasionally. The vertebrae have processes that protrude up from the spinal column. One or more of these were broken off at some point but clearly doesn't affect her mobility.

post-50-0-67009400-1378750633.jpg

Edited by sampotter

This may be a good point to refresh everyone about really checking over every deer you harvest for evidence of old wounds (even if this one isn't). Reaching inside to field dress an animal and coming in contact with an old broad head is not something you want to do. Once the excitement and high fives are out fo the way look for any signs of a previous would that could be healed over. I saw close call one time while dressing one of my Uncle's bucks. It was a broad head under the back bone about where the tenderloins were. The spine actually started to heal around the blades but there was still cutting surface exposed.

• Like 1