Sad Story

NYBuckHunter27

NEWFANE, N.Y. (WIVB) - A man has died after an apparent accident involving a tree stand off Coomer Road in the Town of Newfane.

The Niagara County Sheriff's Office say the Newfane resident went into the woods Monday night to set up a tree stand for hunting. When he did not return, two friends went in search of him, and around 7:30 p.m. found the severely injured man at the base of a tree. His friends called 911, and dispatchers were able to track the signal using GPS.

First responders including deputies, and firefighters from Miller Hose and Wrights Corners responded. But the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

At this time, authorities say his death appear accidental, but it remains under investigation.

The man's name is being withheld pending family notification.

I hunt on the property where I believe this happened. Didnt know the guy but know the owners, they will be devastated.

Can anyone recommend a harness for those of us with a 'fuller figure' (6ft 330 lb, 2x just isnt quite big enough).

I hunt on the property where I believe this happened. Didnt know the guy but know the owners, they will be devastated.

Can anyone recommend a harness for those of us with a 'fuller figure' (6ft 330 lb, 2x just isnt quite big enough).

The HSS has a 4X/5X you could inquire about. http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/wp-content/uploads/HSS-900_OrderForm.pdf

I see their 2X/3X is rated to 300lbs, so the 4X/5X should do the trick for you.

Is it really that dangerous?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Statistically no. But still, don't try to tell that to a family that has just suffered a loss of this sort.

My guess is that the danger level is proportional to the level of carelessness involved. Most of us at one time or another encounter a belief in our immortality and invincibility that is when the percentages begin to climb. Beware of becoming too complacent simply because of some national statistics.