Knives this season

wolc123

This is all I got.  From left is my Gerber folding saw.  I always cut the pelvis so I can open things up and makes sure everything (piss and poop especially) is cleaned out very good in that area, because I love the tenderloins.  Those who say they don’t like them are likely skipping this step.  

Next is a cheap, Asian-made (I assume) Gerber fixed blade, that I bought in case I lost a primary, but I have yet to use.  Third is a classic “made in USA” Schrade 153UH, which I bought for bear hunting (figured I could use it as a sidearm if my gun jammed) but I only carried once or twice.  I like that it comes with a sharpening stone in the sheath.

Fourth is by far my favorite, “made in USA” Schrade 1580T sharpfinger.  Works great for gutting and skinning.  Holds a good edge, and easy to clean.  I use that for all of my southern zone deer hunting.  I thought I lost the sheath this year, but Larry helped me find it. 

Fifth is another classic, an old “made in USA” Buck 110.  Doesn’t hold an edge worth a sh..t, and a bitch to clean, but I carry it on all of my northern zone deer (and most bear) hunts because it was a gift from my father in law and he would not like seeing me use another knife.  

Last, is an old original Leatherman tool, that is always in my pack.  It comes in handy now and then, and would work to gut a deer, if I lost my primary. 

FD3E5F71-649D-4B1B-A413-D22D57A4D413.thumb.jpeg.dc6fd3b9dc6398bf3adfe5450b0d0c6e.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

No pics, but I travel light. My two go to knives...A Schrade Sharpfinger and my Grohman #1. The Sharpfinger drops in my pocket when I am closeby, and the Grohman is in my fannypack if I am wandering away for a long jaunt. Neither will need resharpening before a couple deer are dealt with. My forty year old Buck 110 still holds a razor edge as well or better than any of my knives, but ...like all my hunting knives, sees no service other than gutting/field dressing, and has never needed more than a light touch up. The 110 though, is clumsy to hold, especially in cold temps, and not as easy to manuever in the close quarters of a deer cavity.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Schrade sharpfinger really worked well on Tuesday evening’s doe, especially for skinning her.  The hide always comes off easier, when it’s warm, but this one came off much easier than usual.

That’s because I put a little extra time into sharpening the “gut hook” this year.  I used the little white sharpening stone that came in the sheath of the Schrade 153UH for that.  It worked better, after I did that, than it did when it was new.

I simply used the corner edge of that little white 153UH stone to get that notch, on the back near the tip of the Sharpfinger,  razor sharp.  That made slicing down the neck and legs as easy and quick as pulling down a zipper. 

Unfortunately, I forgot to pack  my Gerber folding saw on that hunt, so I brought back grandpa’s old wood-handled meat saw to cut her pelvis, when I fetched the gutted carcass with my loader tractor.

262D9725-2E28-45DE-9671-9FCC107979C8.thumb.jpeg.70aaeb84a757b97abdf92259964eec42.jpeg

7CD5C1DC-DD7F-473A-B998-937356A0A868.thumb.jpeg.f59f565633f891518c648877a7227a1f.jpeg

I forgot the Sharpfinger on that trip, but fortunately I had my little “made in USA” Imperial EDC in my pocket.  That wasn’t the first time I used that to work on gutting a deer.  It didn’t make my first picture, but you can see it in the bucket  above the saw up above.

It definitely needs some sharpening.  I’ll be better prepared on my next time out (probably Sunday afternoon after I finish butchering).  I still have one more dmp tag that I can fill. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

The Schrade sharpfinger really worked well on Tuesday evening’s doe, especially for skinning her.  The hide always comes off easier, when it’s warm, but this one came off much easier than usual.

That’s because I put a little extra time into sharpening the “gut hook” this year.  I used the little white sharpening stone that came in the sheath of the Schrade 153UH for that.  It worked better, after I did that, than it did when it was new.

I simply used the corner edge of that little white 153UH stone to get that notch, on the back near the tip of the Sharpfinger,  razor sharp.  That made slicing down the neck and legs as easy and quick as pulling down a zipper. 

Unfortunately, I forgot to pack  my Gerber folding saw on that hunt, so I brought back grandpa’s old wood-handled meat saw to cut her pelvis, when I fetched the gutted carcass with my loader tractor.

262D9725-2E28-45DE-9671-9FCC107979C8.thumb.jpeg.70aaeb84a757b97abdf92259964eec42.jpeg

7CD5C1DC-DD7F-473A-B998-937356A0A868.thumb.jpeg.f59f565633f891518c648877a7227a1f.jpeg

I forgot the Sharpfinger on that trip, but fortunately I had my little “made in USA” Imperial EDC in my pocket.  That wasn’t the first time I used that to work on gutting a deer.  It didn’t make my first picture, but you can see it in the bucket  above the saw up above.

It definitely needs some sharpening.  I’ll be better prepared on my next time out (probably Sunday afternoon after I finish butchering).  I still have one more dmp tag that I can fill. 

Did that deer step on an ied?

• Haha 2

I have have a buck hunter that has a PINK CAMO handle. I was always looking for my knife while field dressing a deer. I would set it down then I couldn't find it and I would have to look for it. I was looking for a orange one but they didn't have any so I got the pink one. My kids go Dad it's PINK I told my wife I was getting in touch with my feminine side. She tells me you don't have a feminine side. The up side of the knife being pink is my boys wouldn't touch it.

I Own or have owned maybe 100 plus knives some $500 ones . 

I dress my deer with a Old Timer stockman that I bought used for ten bucks . I could Dress one with a sharp fingernail or a Genny pull tab  ,it’s not a challenging task for a blade .

• Like 1