Knife for field dressing, etc

don23

I know "any" knife will do but i'm looking for a good knife that will last a while.

I'd prefer it folds. A saw would be nice to cut through the pelvic bone. I understand that might mean I need a second tool.

I'm not really sure about guthooks? It seems some people swear by them and other people think they get in the way.

anyway these are 2 knives that I was looking at.. anyone ever use em?

Buck 110BRS Field Hunting knife

Browning 828 Featherweight Big Game II

Thanks yall

Any sharp knife will do the trick.  I think the gut hook and saw features are very overrated.  I had a folding knife with a saw, and it's not like it will work wonders sawing with the short blade and with a knife handle that is already caked with blood and guts.  Having a bit longer saw in a backpack or back at camp works a lot better.

I do like fixed blade knives better than folding knives, though.  They feel a whole lot more comfortable and sturdier in your hand.  Plus cleaning up a fixed blade will be a  lot easier also.  It's a royal pain to get a folding knife completely clean of blood and guts in all the nooks and crevices that it has.  

Oh, and I would skip the serrated blades.  Serrated blades for me are for cutting bread, and not gutting and skinning animals.

Edited by steve863

I've been using the buck omni hunter folder with the gut hook. It's a nice knife and holds an edge well.

Also have the kershaw Alaskan blade trader set. Wouldn't buy it again. It has one handle plus a skinning blade, large gut hook blade, and saw blade. Changing blades in the field is a pain. Several years ago I cut myself pretty bad when trying to put on the saw blade to trim a branch in the tree. I'll never try that again.

Has anyone tried Cutco hunting knives? I have their kitchen knives and love them but haven't given the hunting or fishing products a try. They are still made in Olean, NY which is nice. They make a folding hunting knife with a gut hook that looks interesting. Not sure if I'd want the straight edge or serrated.

My father a

Has a Cutco. It is a bit bigger than I like but the edge is scary sharp. I used it to dress and skin 6 deer and a bear as well as processing them. Was as sharp at the end of the season as in the beginning. But if it comes in contact with your hand you will be cut and not even know it. It is the fixed blade model. I would live one but they are pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yea a buddy of mine has one and recommended it. I was looking at the SOG revolver since it has a saw and a knife on the other side. How do u like the SOG?

I love my SOG. It has a heavy duty blade and nice solid wood handle. Nice leather sheath (sp). No folding and no saw on it. That flat blade slices through whatever I need it to. You couldn't break that knife if you tried.

Thanks for all the great replies! The main reason I wanted a folding knife was it is a little safer to carry but I have considered knives with a full tang

Why do you need a saw for field dressing? I have never had to cut a bone to do it. I prefer a slim blade about 4" in length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I never field dressed a deer before but I read it is a lot easier if you break the pelvic bone?

Any sharp knife will do the trick.  I think the gut hook and saw features are very overrated.  I had a folding knife with a saw, and it's not like it will work wonders sawing with the short blade and with a knife handle that is already caked with blood and guts.  Having a bit longer saw in a backpack or back at camp works a lot better.

I do like fixed blade knives better than folding knives, though.  They feel a whole lot more comfortable and sturdier in your hand.  Plus cleaning up a fixed blade will be a  lot easier also.  It's a royal pain to get a folding knife completely clean of blood and guts in all the nooks and crevices that it has.  

Oh, and I would skip the serrated blades.  Serrated blades for me are for cutting bread, and not gutting and skinning animals.

I agree that fixed blade knives are more comfortable and a hell of a lot easier to clean.

Now I am even less sure what I want.. so many good knives.. lol.. thanks everyone :fie:

You don't need to break no pelvic bone lol. I have never heard of that or seen that before. It's actually fairly easy to gut a deer.

It is true that it is not 100% necessary.  I have gut a few without breaking it.  However, I do find it a tad easier to gut with the pelvis bone cut and most of the time, I do saw through it. When it is cut, it forces the back legs to open wider and also seems to make removal of the rectum a bit easier.  

I use Havalon knives too.  No sharpening, very little cleaning.  Surgeon scalpel sharp.

How much do those replacement blades cost?   There's just something about having a knife that you can sharpen yourself, though.  Sitting down and getting a good edge can be more satisfying than replacing a blade like in a box cutter.