So opening day is over. What happened out there?

burmjohn

I hunt public land, on my way to the spot I scouted this summer and saw the lights of two hunters getting setup. Didn't have backup. I setup finally on a nice tree, however didn't see anything. Got down at 10ish and decided to scout the immediate area. Great sign, intersecting trails all over leading to stream and their bedding area. Found coyote tracts also, everything fresh. I think this was the area that my initial spot leads to. But no show by any deer.

What are your thoughts on how close to bedding area you should hunt?

Ive heard of maybe 2. Lots of guys i talked to have seen deer just nothing they wanted to shoot or they werent in range. Im headed out tomorow mid morning/noon time. Then ill probably go again around 3pm. Dad saw quite a few tonite and got busted drawing on a doe and another busted him from behind. They did see some good bucks too

Personally don't bowhunt myself but My friend hunting Putnam had a doe at 20 but got spooked, Friend hunting Westchester missed a 6. Shot right under him at 35, Another friend hunting Westchester had 2 does come into 5 yards but he was trying to catch it on film but couldn't get it so he didn't shoot. Pretty bad Opening Day for them

6pm 3big doe and a fawn came thru the woods to a plot 100yards away...they had 7 turkey follow them thru....then I had another 7 come in behind me...to within 10yards before mature Momma gave me the size eye and putted...heard some movement but not sure what behind me ..across the ridge ....

Got out with maybe 40 minutes left tonight saw zero. Luckly my stand is right in my back yard. Really pumped for my new spot this yr but wont be able to hunt it for a week or two but should produce a ton of activity!!

i love it when a plan comes together!! Hunted a new stand location that i put up in june. right next to a funnel/intersection before a creek and open field. perfect PM spot. I knew with temps so high i wouldnt see much until dusk. sure enough, at about 6, 2 big does came through. they started making their way down another trail but i gave  a soft grunt and they stopped dead in their tracks and turned my way. they came in head on and i was worried i wouldnt get a broadside shot. the big one knew something was up and was quite tense and was sniffing around. i was drawn on her for a good 30-45 seconds. she slowly turned broadside at about 20 yards and i let a rage fly. perfect shot and i watched my lighted nock fly in behind the shoulder and then stick in the ground behind her. she jumped and didnt make it more than 30 yards. great blood trail from the rage. great opening day. now im feeling confident and im looking for some of those big 8 pointers i have on camera at a few of my spots!!

• Like 6