Sooo pissed at myself right now.....

ants

I hit a good buck at around 8 this morning. It was pouring rain. A 6 was chasing a doe around my stand, and I think the 8 came in to kick his a$$. It was a 24yd. shot. He jumped straight up and ran off, tail down. Im thinking ...SCORE!!!!

He ran off to my left and  behind me into some real thick crap. I expected to  hear him fall down, but I never heard it. I climbed down at around 8:20. I couldn't find my arrow and I only found hair and  a little blood, where I shot him. I looked, made circles, back tracked and went back out with my dog....No dice. the dog couldn't get a scent past 10-15yds from where I shot it. It was pouring out the whole time.(Gave it a good 5 hrs) I hope I just grazed him, but I keep thinking of how he looked when he ran off...Hurt.

I hit a good buck at around 8 this morning. It was pouring rain. A 6 was chasing a doe around my stand, and I think the 8 came in to kick his a$$. It was a 24yd. shot. He jumped straight up and ran off, tail down. Im thinking ...SCORE!!!!

He ran off to my left and  behind me into some real thick crap. I expected to  hear him fall down, but I never heard it. I climbed down at around 8:20. I couldn't find my arrow and I only found hair and  a little blood, where I shot him. I looked, made circles, back tracked and went back out with my dog....No dice. the dog couldn't get a scent past 10-15yds from where I shot it. It was pouring out the whole time.(Gave it a good 5 hrs) I hope I just grazed him, but I keep thinking of how he looked when he ran off...Hurt.

Hopefully you can do a body search but the weather sure is warm for any hopes of saving the meat.  Are you a Deer Search  handler?

What did the hair look like? 

That sucks, it happens. BTW, I'm convinced the tail thing means nothing. I've seen deer shot perfect run away tail up and die, and have also seen then run tail down and live. All you can do if the rain washed the blood, is not give up and look like crazy. Good luck.

So sorry to hear of you losing your buck.  I know how frustrating it is.  I have a brochure that I received last year about dogs that can help find your deer.  I saved it "just in case".

Here are three numbers....the Founding Chapter (845) 227-5099, a Western N.Y. Chapter (716) 648-4355 or Finger Lakes Chapter (585) 935-5220

It says on the brochure that "For WNY and Finger Lake chapters the areas are generally covered but not limited to the following counties:  Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Chemung, Erie, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Niagara, Ontario, Orleans, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne, Wyoming and Yates".

The website is www.deersearch.org

Good Luck! 

Don't "over kick" yourself: Good buck...I'd shoot...pouring rain, or not. His body language that you interpreted as "good hit" could really have been an "Oh Shit!" response to being caught unawares. Go back...run some concentric circles in the area where he might have dropped.....GOOD LUCK!!!!

The hair was white and grey. Brisket ??? Like most of you guys, I've taken a lot of deer and I just can't get the way he looked, after the shot, out of my head. He looked well hit. I have a couple hours to spare in the A.M. I'll try it again, with my buddy. Then I'll hunt Saturday and look some more after I sit. Maybe the crows will be sounding off, but I would rather have him shake it off and live till ...when ever.

I shot my buck this year and his tail was between his legs and every now and again it would rapidly twitch back and forth. He never ran just walked until he dropped less than 40 yards, double lunged. I read about 1.5 inches of rain falling and deer search found scent with no trouble at all. I bet he is down and can be recovered. Don't give up and don't beat yourself up until you have exhausted every option.

Why did you shoot in the pouring rain? Bad choice man.

So if you have a big buck in front of you that you have waited all season for, practiced months during the off-time, have him at 20 yards, and you are going to let him go because of a little rain?  That just shows you have a lack of confidence in killing a deer, with or without rain.

If it's pouring rain it does not matter how much you practiced, you let em walk. No doubt that deer chasing each other around your tree will get your heart pumping, but in the excitement mistakes get made. Too much can go wrong under the best of circumstances. Shooting deer in down pour rain is inviting disaster, heart aches, excuses and dead deer that have little hope of being recovered. If you can get ahold of the deer search people with their dogs it may be your best chance to find your deer. Good luck finding your buck.

• Like 3

If it's pouring rain it does not matter how much you practiced, you let em walk. No doubt that deer chasing each other around your tree will get your heart pumping, but in the excitement mistakes get made. Too much can go wrong under the best of circumstances. Shooting deer in down pour rain is inviting disaster, heart aches, excuses and dead deer that have little hope of being recovered. If you can get ahold of the deer search people with their dogs it may be your best chance to find your deer. Good luck finding your buck.

If you don't hit the deer where you are suppose to, chances are you are not going to find it, with or without rain.  Heart pumping and making mistakes because of that is a lack of confidence installed in the hunter.  Inexperienced hunters - absolutely let them walk.  Hunters with self-confidence and experience in killing deer will more than likely take the shot. 

• Like 1

I am confident in my shooting. I don't take crap shots in the hopes of scoring a lucky hit. I have let countless bucks go, because I just didn't like the shot. I was very confident in taking this shot and thought I scored, until I got to where I shot him. Then things got ugly. In the end it's on me but I would honestly do the same thing tomarrow given the same situation. It happens....I guess.

I am confident in my shooting. I don't take crap shots in the hopes of scoring a lucky hit. I have let countless bucks go, because I just didn't like the shot. I was very confident in taking this shot and thought I scored, until I got to where I shot him. Then things got ugly. In the end it's on me but I would honestly do the same thing tomarrow given the same situation. It happens....I guess.

I absolutely agree with you man. Things happen, but for some of these guys to sit here and come down on you because of the rain aint right.

It happens to everyone don't beat yourself up over it or listen to the folks on here condemning a shot selection - arm chair quarterbacks - they weren't there. No doubt it is the toughest part of hunting.

You are doing the right thing. Go out and do the body search again ... if nothing more it will ease your mind. Bring a buddy - another set of eyes and moral support go a long way - stay optimistic. Look a little farther than you think.

If he is dead - he is in the thick stuff or by some water not far from where you lost the trail. You know the drill - circle and cover the area good. When in doubt assume a straight line and check the nooks and crannies - if he is mortally wounded he will want the cover.

If it makes it past the terrain and to an open field there is a good chance he is still on his feet.

• Like 2

Personally I would skip the morning sit and spend the time searching.  What happens if another buck shows up that is bad ass and you arrow it then find the other buck after you search? Fubar'd at that point.  Search until your confident in it being a loss or you find it, then hunt again.  But thats just my opinion.  As far as rain goes if its raining at a good rate I will pass any shot on any deer, and yes Im am confident in my shooting, dont take crap shots or even semi iffy ones either.  There is too many uncontrollable variables that can take place from the moment you release an arrow to have no blood to track after the shot.  Im not judging either for the record just giving my personal opinion on bowhunting and rain.  Been in those shoes and hope to never be in them again.  Good luck and hope you recover the buck.

• Like 2

So if you have a big buck in front of you that you have waited all season for, practiced months during the off-time, have him at 20 yards, and you are going to let him go because of a little rain? That just shows you have a lack of confidence in killing a deer, with or without rain.

I don't think pouring rain = a little rain. There is a difference when it comes to tracking deer.

Some hunters are great shots, some are great at tracking, and then there are those that are good for nothing. Making the choice to take a deer in pouring rain is an ethical choice, no right or wrong, but very gray(like the hair in this shot). Knowing your limits and respecting your game is more important IMO than pounding on one's chest and taking bad shots, in bad weather. Odds start to stack up against the hunter, and this is what happens.

Then he brings out his dog to help search? Got a permit for that?

What's worse is this hunter is going to sit and hunt Sat again THEN go look for his injured game animal... Wow! Any hunter that injures a deer like this should do the right thing and rip up their tag for the season.

This thread reeks of unethical, illegal, and is a bad role model for new hunters reading.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems