Post a picture of your deer stand / blind

burmjohn

We have all metal ladder stands on our property with the exception of the one tower stand I was building.  Its about two years into the making, with limited time (kids), I try to do a little each time I get up there. We used to do woods stands on tree's (the classic three tree wood stand) but they tend to be a pain to maintain, fall apart in storms, safety issue.  Goal of this stand is to be a place to bring my kids and other young ones once they get old enough. Not sure what to build on top yet, if I will do a little hut or something, will worry about that next year if there is time. Plus, this is the first property we have ever owned where I could actually do something like this.  Anyways, this is it so far.  Built it out of treated wood, 4x4's, 2x6's, 2x4's, and some decking boards.   It's pretty solid, was a pain but decided to put it on concrete to keep the wood off the ground. Hopefully last for years and years.  Hauled buckets of water and quickcrete up there with this crappy trailer we have for the ATV.  I forget the actual dimensions, I want to say its about 8 feet by 12 feet. 

Not to sure if I should paint it next year to help protect the wood?

Bottom

post-2-0-22112300-1384444754_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-93733400-1384444752_thumb.jpg

First time sitting there.. Love this spot, the back over looks a ridge, this is the front view. 

post-2-0-49000800-1384444755_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We built the 4' X 4' stands in the backyard.  First time trying it for my son and I, and I highly recommend it.  Very rewarding.  Lightly screwed it together, made sure everything fit, removed the screws, and each one was 6 easy-to-handle panels.  Getting the panels up the mountain and back in the woods was a real test, but well worth the effort. Thank god for one my son and one of our members with a quad or it would have been heart attack city. Threw a waterproof membrane on the roof.  Cut out the windows before reassembling and we're ready to go. My sons uses sliding windows, whereas I went with a make-shift hinge and spinner set up.  After the season, taped around the edges to make a secure fit, filled in all holes with wood putty, and it kept everything nice and clean inside.  My old stand was built in the 60's and would always have mice, wasps, ants, and other critters.  Nice to walk into a clean stand last couple of weekends and not have to do anything to fix it up.  My only addition to it now would be some wood awnings over the two windows where the sun comes in in the morning. Causes a lot of glare, but hasn't been a problem yet. post-1579-0-24215700-1384445247_thumb.jppost-1579-0-36792900-1384445284_thumb.jp post-1579-0-63014500-1384445349_thumb.jppost-1579-0-02745700-1384445454_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Here are two box blinds and Dad's Cabana on our lease. The Cabana has since been painted and windows added. The balance are more traditional stands. but there sure are nice during very cold snaps and rain. These are equipped with height and tilt adjustable office style chairs...lol

post-152-0-22586400-1384446363_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-03588400-1384446379_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-74003200-1384446468_thumb.jpg

We also have one tent blind that is on a platform built on scaffolding.

• Like 1

Sorry for bad pic. Only one I got. 4x8 box blind tall enough to,stand change clothes and so forth. In the summer I camp out of it.

The farmer was going to put it up on phone polls for me, but I like it as more of a base camp, and I have moved it and will again if need be.

Now his if 16x16 with deck up,on phone polls.....

post-253-0-23822000-1384446593_thumb.jpg

Accman. We did about the same thing. I did mount the legs on a batter though. two bolts in each leg (one through each side and all I did was put scraps of 3/4" lumber at the underside of the outside stringers to push the tops in further (which pushes the bottoms out). next year we have a spot where we want one 8' high.

Mine may have been built at work,but I'll deny that. Brought down whole on a landscape trailer. I love it I can sleep in it on cot, cook on my Jet Boil, and I guess shoot a deer from it.

Yesterday I was getting dressed by my car parked in front of it as a 2 1/2 walk by..

• Like 1

I have several..wooden "hang on type" stands... I show this pic because I used pipe hangers as branch holders to camo the stand...beech branches stay green longer and hold their leaves.....here are some of the built ones that aren't blinds...and the chicken coop I built has a little cubby with a storage bin seat I use as a ground blind...chicken smell covers my scent..Coops down in the woods......all others I backed up and deleted from computer for space sorry...lots of ladder stands and ground blinds...

I build them because of location...wind...and I really like building things....lol

• Like 1

Belo, 

I forgot. You hunt on private or public ?  Makes a big difference.

And Danny,

I wouldn't climb that ladder if you paid me.  I can see it's secured with heavy duty wire, but I bet it still feels like it's moving on windy days. No way, no how, but really cool.

Jesus, that looks like some sort of lightning rod.  He'd be cooked in there for sure.

Geez, never though of that.  Almost looks like a Ranger Tower rather than a tree stand.  From that height, you could hit em with a rock and get em.