Sighting in Freehand vs. with a rest??

mlammerhirt

I was just wondering if you sight in a shotgun or rifle with a scope freehand vs. placed in a rest will this change the point of impact when you shoot the opposite way that the gun was sighted in?

For instance...you go to the range, sight in your shotgun at 50 yards and put together a 2 inch group 1 inch high of the bulls eye while placed in a rest. Then go to the field and shoot from your tree stand freehand with no rest.

Your guns POI is always the same, you're just adjusting the sights/reticle. Zero it to the best you can from a good rest. Then you can't blame the gun if you miss! You're never gonna get the gun zeroed by shooting offhand, unless you're only shooting 20yds

• Like 1

What happens if you rest the barrel vs. the forearm when sighting in?

While resting the barrel is still better than shooting offhand, your gun won't be balanced and you'll be more wobbly. Try resting the barrel vs. resting the forearm and stock. You'll notice difference is night and day. A couple sandbags, a small table and a stool are all you need.

All my gun stands have some kind of gun rest incorporated into the cover. However, many of my deer are taken during still-hunting where a perfect gun rest may not exist. So while bench shooting is essential for sighting in, the off-hand shooting should be part of the practice routine because that may represent the majority of your shots when you are in hunting situations. If nothing else, it familiarizes yourself with your limitations. And remember, "A man's gotta know his limitations" .... lol.

As others have suggested: Sight in from a rest. Then, shoot off hand to see if you can shoot as well as your gun. If not, practice until you can...or nearly so. Even with good shooters, a 2-3" group off the bench will expand to 4-6" off hand....plenty good enough for deer. Problem with this advice is that ammo is currently limited in supply and very expensive. .22's are grossly overpriced, but they still might represent the best practice option.

Is there really a question of which one? gotta remember you may shoot 1-3" groups with a rest at the range, but when a deer "big" buck or not is standing in front of you and you are trying to make that shot your groups will probably be more 4-8" inches or more some guys become really unglued when there target is in front of them. there's some luck involved in shooting lets not kid ourselves.

Your guns POI is always the same, you're just adjusting the sights/reticle. Zero it to the best you can from a good rest. Then you can't blame the gun if you miss! You're never gonna get the gun zeroed by shooting offhand, unless you're only shooting 20yds

Some guns do require the zero be set shooting freehand, probably not the ones the OP is talking about, but I've had to do it out to 50yds. Not the best zero method, and a lot of ammo used to do it, but not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some guns do require the zero be set shooting freehand, probably not the ones the OP is talking about, but I've had to do it out to 50yds. Not the best zero method, and a lot of ammo used to do it, but not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've piqued my interest, Shawn..

What guns require setting the zero shooting offhand ?

not saying he's wrong but I've had the best results with a solid rest holding it at the forend and grip as you would shooting it in the field.  that has applied to heavy varmint rifles, bolt action rifles mag or otherwise, semi-autos rifles, lever actions, shotguns, and muzzleloaders all that I've had.  I did see someone do last Friday at the range with a lever gun though.  claimed he was having trouble and needed to shoot that way.  idk