Disappointed Ruger SR22

ants

I have been eyeing this pistol for a while now and have heard good things about it. A guy I know owns one and raves about it. I finally bought one, and I took it to the range on Friday….Not impressed. I fired about 150 rounds and had AT LEAST a dozen failur to feeds. I was using Winchester hollow points and CCI standard lead round nose bullets. I guess I'll try some different ammo before I send the damn thing back.  I love Ruger but WTF????  Story of my life….

I have been eyeing this pistol for a while now and have heard good things about it. A guy I know owns one and raves about it. I finally bought one, and I took it to the range on Friday….Not impressed. I fired about 150 rounds and had AT LEAST a dozen failur to feeds. I was using Winchester hollow points and CCI standard lead round nose bullets. I guess I'll try some different ammo before I send the damn thing back.  I love Ruger but WTF????  Story of my life….

My buddy owns the same pistol. He just bought it about three months ago. As soon as he started shooting it he had the same problem. He changed bullets but no remedy so he returned it to the dealer and they sent it back to Ruger. A month later they sent it back to him and they basically replaced everything but the barrel and so far it seems better.

My buddy owns the same pistol. He just bought it about three months ago. As soon as he started shooting it he had the same problem. He changed bullets but no remedy so he returned it to the dealer and they sent it back to Ruger. A month later they sent it back to him and they basically replaced everything but the barrel and so far it seems better.

Yeah…Im sure that I'll have to do the same thing. Even if I find ammo it likes, I hate to be restricted to using /finding  just one brand or style of ammo in it, especially with the problem in finding .22 ammo. Im sure it's going back to Ruger…. just pisses me off.

I love my SR22,  I ran 200 rds of cci mini mags through it. gave it a solid cleaning and lube and it chews up 99% of everything I throw at it now without a hickup.   It will ftf/fte on standard velocity 22, but anything high veolicty it works solid most of the time.

probably have 5k+ rds through it now

I love my SR22,  I ran 200 rds of cci mini mags through it. gave it a solid cleaning and lube and it chews up 99% of everything I throw at it now without a hickup.   It will ftf/fte on standard velocity 22, but anything high veolicty it works solid most of the time.

probably have 5k+ rds through it now

I was thinking of mini mags or other HV ammo… I'll try them. On the bright side, the pistol is very accurate at about 15yds. I just had to raise the sights a little and it was right in there.

I have a SIG Mosquito (22LR) that gets the same "reviews".

I only shoot mini-mags and the gun has been flawless from the start and many thousands of rounds later. So I'd say try that too.

Trade you a brick of Mini-mags for a brick of SV. I have a rifle that likes SV and tough to come by as of late. LOL

My Ruger Mark lll also shoots everything including standard velocity.  It would drive me nuts if it were selective about ammo.  These days finding any .22cal is hard enough.   Soon Jan. 15 will be here and mail order ammo option disappears.

I'm a Ruger fan, but I have also spoken to someone that said the SR22 fell apart on them.  My next .22 pistol will likely be the M&P 22

How well has the gun been lubricated?  I know my Colt 1991 works flawlessly unless you run it dry/not enough lube, then after trying to run one mag through it you'll want to throw it in the river.  Couple drops on the rails and it's night and day.

In fact I just took it out of the box and shot it. didn't oil it or anything

Be sure to post up another review after you've cleaned it and shot some more rounds through it.  I'm curious to know if your problem is resolved.  I watched the Hancock45 video review on this gun.  He really liked it, seemed like he didn't want to put it down.  He might have had a couple  FTF's with it from what I recall.

• 1 month later...

I was convinced I wanted a Ruger Mk 3 hunter, until I handled one, just didn't feel right for me. Picked up a Browning Buckmark and loved it. I have put about 250 rds of Winchester thru it with no failures.

Edited by JimR

I ran a bunch of CCI mini mags through it ( about 250 rounds) a couple days ago and it ran perfectly. No issues. I also replaced the spring and plastic guide  rod with with an after market kit. All metal.  Im thinking the ammo was the main problem. Im just glad I didn't have to send the thing back to Ruger.

I looked at a Browning 1911-22 the other day. Very cool gun and all the reviews I've seen (from another web site) were excellent!

Problem I have with the browning is that they shrunk the frame. To have a 22 for practice, I'd think you'd want the feel of the full frame

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm new the handgun world... but are you even allowed to send a gun back?

Also curious as to your intended use for the .22?

yes, as long as it's being sent to the manufacturer...........I was a little shocked to find this out myself when I needed to send my Ruger to their shop in AZ for repairs, just put it in a box and shipped UPS, all that was required when they sent it back to my home was an adult signature.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a bunch of CCI mini mags through it ( about 250 rounds) a couple days ago and it ran perfectly. No issues. I also replaced the spring and plastic guide  rod with with an after market kit. All metal.  Im thinking the ammo was the main problem. Im just glad I didn't have to send the thing back to Ruger.

Did you change out the spring and guide rod and try the original ammo you were having the issues with or did you change them both and jump to the CCI ammo only? Also, has your opinion changed about the pistol, now that you believe it was the ammo? Thanks

Did you change out the spring and guide rod and try the original ammo you were having the issues with or did you change them both and jump to the CCI ammo only? Also, has your opinion changed about the pistol, now that you believe it was the ammo? Thanks

No..I went out with just the CCI's after changing the rod & spring. Half way to the range I realized that I should have brought the ammo I had the problems with, but I didn't feel like turning around. 

Next range trip I'll take the other ammo and see what happens. The pistol shot very well and was accurate. If I still have problems with the other ammo, I guess I'll just send it back and see what happens.