Trail Cam on Public Land???

518BowSlayer

Ur better off getting the 20 dollar mounts from gander which are way cheaper than the lock box n cable lock n get a few screw in steps n put em up 10 foot high ... Chances are they won't even notice them up high being that they are out of line of sight n most look for trail cams 3 foot off the ground ... If they do happen to look up , they better have some ladder sticks or screw in steps to be able to get it .. Lock boxes are ok , but if they really want it, a pair a bolt cutters n gone! Happened to two of my cams on public last year, since I put em high I caught two guys in orange walk right past with their heads to the ground ...

I posted this pic earlier in fall, the scumbags will go to any length to get  your cam. This tree they cut down to get the cam and it had cable and lock and was on private land. They cut the cables on the other 3 cams and took them too. So you have take your chance with the scum.....this was on my sisters property

post-2675-0-99949200-1387588257_thumb.jp

I had a cam fail miserably this year . Opened it up to replace batteries and apparently one or a couple exploded or just leaked and what was left was acid covered and after cleaning up nothing worked !  If I get a chance I might put it up in a tree on my property and put a cheap bicycle cable and lock on it as a teaser just to see if there are any "Takers" ... LOL

To be honest... If I'm not in my stand I don't care what passed by at 2am. As much as I care what another deer was doing in the next state over I don't need a pick to know a monster is around if I see a tree that's 5" across shredded I know it's a big buck, I like surprises

Deer passion, did you kill that buck?

Nope, killed a mature 8 point that happened to walk by before he did on oct 11th , couldn't pass em up... But he was nocturnal all year, but he made it n with all do respect I wouldn't know that without the cam ... Plenty of good sign in the area, n would have hunted it regardless... Sometimes it's more exciting that way not knowing what your gettin into n then THERE HE IS ????. Did it that way for years , but the pics sure make slow days easier to stay on stand knowin he's out there .. Gonna be a Goodin next year if he shows hisself in daylight ... post-2133-0-67665300-1387599762_thumb.jp

I posted this pic earlier in fall, the scumbags will go to any length to get  your cam. This tree they cut down to get the cam and it had cable and lock and was on private land. They cut the cables on the other 3 cams and took them too. So you have take your chance with the scum.....this was on my sisters property

Unbelievable!

Wow truly a gorgeous buck deer passion, don't get me wrong private property upstate I hunt my FIL has a cam or two, we saw a giant 9pt 3 days before opening day that I didn't think existed there and nobody has seen him since, also had a 200#+ bear, same deal spotted once or twice

I personally don't spend enough time up there or hunting just one location on the island to justify a cam that has to be locked down to discourage thieves.

Once again gorgeous deer, congrats

Wow truly a gorgeous buck deer passion, don't get me wrong private property upstate I hunt my FIL has a cam or two, we saw a giant 9pt 3 days before opening day that I didn't think existed there and nobody has seen him since, also had a 200#+ bear, same deal spotted once or twice

I personally don't spend enough time up there or hunting just one location on the island to justify a cam that has to be locked down to discourage thieves.

Once again gorgeous deer, congrats

Thank u sir, I get it , I do , had two cams with lock boxes stollen on public land last year , put em up high this year with no problems ...

I frequently have game cams on state land, but not usually during peak hunting or scouting times (late summer, fall). also the areas I post them in are not visited much. I usually put them up during the late season, through mid summer to get an idea of what is still in the area. I have a number of known trails used year around, and it is fun to monitor the local deer population through all seasons. Once hunting season starts, usually its all out the window as far as where the bucks will be, anyway.