Best hunting vehicle you ever owned.

noodle one

The best hunting car I ever owned was a 1960 red VW Beetle (bug).I was a young pup that didn't know the words (can't do). That little car would take me anywheres I wanted or needed to go. It had a sun roof which made it all the better. At that time in my life I was living on the farm and would drive it  through any and all fields without giving it a second thought. What made this little bug go anywheres was the engine in the back.. There was a woods road that I hunted small game in the fall. I would drive to the top of the mountain and park it and go off hunting. When I was done I would drive down the back side that was very steep and had one to two foot drop offs every twenty yards or so all the way down and that car never let me down. When I would go deer hunting I would go up and down any roads and wood roads no matter the weather, rain, snow and or ice , dry or mud could not stop me and that little car. It was better than any four wheel drive that I have owned in the last thirty years. I can tell you that it was the best car in snow. I can remember going up woods roads that had two feet of snow on and never saw a plow . I would drive right up them and park and go off hunting and never worry about getting out. I am talking about going two or three miles off some back roads.When I was done hunting I would look for some place to turn around. That car was small so I didn't need a lot of room ( any kind of small opening). One time my brother and I went deer hunting after an ice storm.  We were going up this woods road and a big tree had come down across the road. We were a good mile backin and no place to turn around. We didn't want to backout or walk out. So we had to come up with away  to get the car heading back out. We talked it over and as long as we where up there we might as well do our hunt and worry about it when we were ready to head out. The engine was in the back so the front end was real lite. Now we were parked on a icy road that was just a little wider than the car. There was only one way to turn it. Block the front tires and jack the back up and push the front around. If I remember it took us five or six time doing it and then we drove off the mountain. There was one little draw back with that little car or maybe two. One was that it was air cooled and some days the heater took a long time to get warm. The other was that the front was so lite and if there was snow and or ice on the road and going down hill and needed to slow down and make a turn you needed to get the timing just right because if you kept your foot on the break and tried to turn while breaking you would keep on going  straight. So when faced with this I had to know when to take my foot off the break and then turn the wheel. Hairy at times but makes for fun driving. To this day I miss that little car and remember it  as the best hunting car I owned.

I have had a few pick ups, and everyone knows the way they work.  The one vehicle that carried the most deer and gear was a 2002 Saturn Sedan.  Shoot I even put a deer in the back of my Wife's brand new '13 Outlander.  Thank goodness for Harbor Freight and cheap tarps.

1972 ford bronco  short wheel base 4 wd.  6 banger three on the tree.  I could go anywhere with this thing even in the woods. Plowed with it as well all winter.  If t he body was any good, I would still have it.  

• Like 1

My 2010 Dodge Dakota Quad-cab Bighorn 4x4...had more than a dozen hauled home in the bed of this beauty over the past 4 years.

Obviously still runs great (only 45,000 on it). Great for the kid and dogs...Good in snow pretty easy on gas...first truck of my own!

Oh and I hit a turkey last year with it, dented the hood so I took the breasts in trade! I think that literally makes it a hunting vehicle.

That said I stuffed my first 8 pt into the trunk of my friends Mazda 323 outside state college, pa about 15 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

right now my beater car 1990 mazda 626 gt 2.2L turbo 5 spd. loaded, sunroof, came from arizona so it is rust free. goes like hell too. it has a hatch so i can stuff deer in there. fold down the back seat usually have the hooves up through the center console. lol. i prefer my S10 ZR2. it goes places pretty darn well. this year i had my wifes XTerra when I got my doe. Luckiy I brought a tarp with me. She asked me where it was when I got home. I said in your car.... "WHAT?" lol.

My 73 chevy pickup, inline 6 with a column shift 3 speed standard tranny. Shift level would lock in 2 gears. Open the hood, put her back in neutral and the way u went. The beds held 4x8 sheet of plywood, tailgate up back then. I sure miss that truck.

My brother had that same truck and I remember popping the hood too,lol. His was "painted" a rust color primer with a brush by my uncle who sold it to him for cheap. Many of my first hunting memories started in that truck, I want to get one some day for romping around close to home in.

My last Olds mini van. I kid not. Took out middle seats , bow rode on rear seat. I hunt a large farm park on farm lane ways no 4x4 needed.

I would get there, step into middle part of van and change clothes inside,push a button and door would open and close almost silent. Had enough room to nap laying down inside.

When I got a deer I'd open both side doors,lay out the tarp,bring deer next to van,hop in and it was easy for one guy to just pull backwards through van step put other side. It was what maybe a foot off the ground loading deer was a snap.

Tons of room for deer, totes,guns,bows and stealthy for suburban hunts. When folks see a truck and one with deer or camo stickers along a road other hunters are thinking things like gee I did not know you can hunt there,or he's always in there must be good.

Drive mini van dress like a bird watcher ,hiker.......orange vest and 8 inch .44 mag.comeout off road.

• Like 1

Bronco's- 1st was a 1982 4 on the floor and the next was a 1991 5 on the floor, low gear with low 4 wheel drive that truck could climb up the side of a building, spent many years hunting, snowshoeing, camping, hiking and fishing with those trucks. The gas prices and then married with children made it little used and sold it. 

Edited by nycredneck