Man shoots himself in hand --today's D&C

fasteddie

Man shoots himself in hand

Justin Murphy and David Andreatta

Staff writers

He had a permit.

That was what a pa­tron at a Mendon restau­rant recalled a customer repeatedly saying after he accidentally shot him­self in the hand while showing his gun to a friend during the lunch hour on Saturday.

John Cassata, 70, was sitting inside the Cottage H otel on Pittsford Men­don Road with a friend, Charles Raab, 67, around 1 p.m. when the gun went off, according to the Mon­roe County Sheriff ’s Of­fice.

“Cassata decided to show his firearm to Raab when he accidentally dis­charged the gun,” Cpl. John Helfer said. “The round went through Cas­sata’s hand, struck his leg then grazed Raab‘s an­kle.”

Helfer said both men were transported to Strong Memorial Hospi­tal with minor injuries. No charges have been filed, but Helfer said the matter was still under in­vestigation.

Witnesses said the s hot went off with a baby nearby and shattered an otherwise peaceful lunch.

“All of a sudden we heard this explosion,” said Ellen Smith of Men­don.

“I literally thought somebody had a fire­cracker. I didn’t think it was a gun, but then I heard someone say, ‘Oh my god, what did you do?’ And I turned around and saw all this smoke and it was just silence. Every­one was stunned. This guy shot himself.”

Smith called 911.

“This guy was so gray. He was bleeding pretty heavily,” Smith said. “He kept saying, I’ve got a permit, I’ve got a per­mit.”

[email protected] DANDREATTA@DemocratandChronicle .com

WTH...we are our worst enemies... :fie:

No kidding at the very least pull his permit. First off not an accidental discharge, but a negligent discharge.

Here's a thought keep your finger off the trigger And it's pretty hard to go off. As some say " keep your bugger hook off the bang switch".

Then there is pulling it out in a crowded restaurant , showing it to a friend loaded ( the gun,don't know about him)

Oh and don't point a gun at anything your not willing to destroy........

a cc handgun which is typically carried for self defense is not much use without a chambered round.  Do you not chamber a round when hunting until ready to shoot?  By ready to shoot I mean the deer in front of you.

• Like 2

No kidding at the very least pull his permit. First off not an accidental discharge, but a negligent discharge.

Here's a thought keep your finger off the trigger And it's pretty hard to go off. As some say " keep your bugger hook off the bang switch".

Then there is pulling it out in a crowded restaurant , showing it to a friend loaded ( the gun,don't know about him)

Oh and don't point a gun at anything your not willing to destroy........

1 PM at the Cottage Hotel? They might have been the only people in there besides the staff. Its a po-dunk townie bar. I agree though, not the place to be flashing your piece.

No I don't until I'm sitting in most cases...why I go in under cover of darkness..and even when not leaving in dark...I have tripped and hit the ground hard ...shot gun slung over my back..once I hit blk ice and body slammed my self gun under me...so no I don't care to blow the back of my head off...

When stalking ...I'm on my own land and know the surroundings...I also don't walk around with a blk powder...primer in and hammer cocked hoping the safety works...but to each there own....

Guess an accident can happen almost anywhere.

sure, and most can be avoided, especially this kind.............I could care less if the guy shot himself in the head in his own house playing with his gun, but in a restaurant or bar is totally unacceptable.

• Like 2

sure, and most can be avoided, especially this kind.............I could care less if the guy shot himself in the head in his own house playing with his gun, but in a restaurant or bar is totally unacceptable.

Far more people are injured and killed in automobile accidents than by gun, most of those could be avoided also.

• Like 1

Far more people are injured and killed in automobile accidents than by gun, most of those could be avoided also.

I agree....most are caused by one person making a poor decision...........only the shock value of a gun accident seems to get a little more mileage.

No I don't until I'm sitting in most cases...why I go in under cover of darkness..and even when not leaving in dark...I have tripped and hit the ground hard ...shot gun slung over my back..once I hit blk ice and body slammed my self gun under me...so no I don't care to blow the back of my head off...

When stalking ...I'm on my own land and know the surroundings...I also don't walk around with a blk powder...primer in and hammer cocked hoping the safety works...but to each there own....

I think what people were saying in the comparison grow, is that you don't chamber a round until the deer is in front of you. Not once you are seated in the stand, but rather the deer is there to be shot.

The personal defense handgun doesn't do much if you are not chambered. And, some of those smaller ones don't have a safety...Keltec's pea shooter 32 comes to mind.

His issue is the lack of judgment, and not the fireable condition of the weapon.

• Like 1

Another statistic to work against the law abiding gun owner.  People really need to be better stewards of their firearms.  Too many accidents that could have been avoided.  The worst is when you read about a kid accidentally discharging a loaded firearm laying around the house.  More care should be taken to avoid these accidents.  I can't believe someone with a carry permit is showing someone a loaded handgun in a coffee shop.