Sweet find..

wooly

Litteraly...

I did a little hike this evening and decided to take the long way around to check my cams.
Along the way I found this honey bee hive in an old rotten tree so I had to reach in to investigate like a curious little woolybear! :crazy:  
 I managed to pull out a few good size waffles of honeycomb and they were still dripping with oooey gooey goodness! I read somewhere before that honey has a crazy long shelf life so I couldn't resist a taste test!  :nyam: 
 I sat there licking my fingers for a half hour before I had a good sugar "buzz" going and decided to move on. I packed a few of the bigger juicy chunks out in a big ziplock, and I'll try to drain them for later! Anyone know a good way to do this? There's still plenty left in there I can go back for.

Funny thing is.., I probably got a bottle of honey in the fridge right now and no cravings for it in a long time. This must be some REALLY special stuff for me to feel the need to rescue the rest before "Pooh" wakes up,lol

DSCN0327_zps16fe23f8.jpg

DSCN0325_zps04564b83.jpg

DSCN0324_zpsd920e8ce.jpg

• Like 6

Just be careful not to eat some of the larvae, that is left in that comb, unless you like a little protein in your honey, LOL. Nice aster honey, you have there!

Make some bees wax candles.

Will they come back to this hive this summer?

I was hoping I didn't disrupt something too much if there's a chance of them returning.

Now that I think of it.., I know where there was another even bigger hive last summer in a giant hole in a cherry tree. I'll have to check on it next time I pass by! They've been coming to this one for 2 or 3 years now, but I've never thought of raiding it while they're swarming around.

So much for shed hunting till some of this darn snow melts.

Will they come back to this hive this summer?

I was hoping I didn't disrupt something too much if there's a chance of them returning.

Now that I think of it.., I know where there was another even bigger hive last summer in a giant hole in a cherry tree. I'll have to check on it next time I pass by! They've been coming to this one for 2 or 3 years now, but I've never thought of raiding it while they're swarming around.

So much for shed hunting till some of this darn snow melts.

The fact is that their are few if any wild swarms, will survive more than a year anymore. Without treatment for bee diseases, the swarm will die. The scent will lure new swarms, 99.9% from split offs of hived swarms.  The dark, stained comb indicated an older comb that has been used for several years. The  lighter comb is, most likely last seasons installment.

One other thing to note, if that white brood has any dark or milkyness to it when thawed, I wouldn't eat any of the honey, as that is a classic sign of American Foulbrood. Injesting the raw honey could have serious impact on human health. A small amount, can give you a severe case of diarrhea.

I'm sure you know by now.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1