pistol for deer hunting

edbone

I've never tAken a deer with the pistol but I just got my pistol permit last fall and bought a super ruger red hawk I can say the gun is well balanced a very crisp trigger pull and not bad recoil for a 44 mag and the gun is very accurate. But I can't suggest what pistol it's the only one I've hunted with so far

Get good with the 22 first,then go shoot a few 357's 44's and anything int hat area.44 Mag will knock a deer for a loop farther than you can accurately shoot.I had the same notion but never got the chance before life happened and all my expensive toys went out the window 10 or so years back.I want to take a deer with my recurve then I will focus on a pistol deer after that.If you want to get a "deer only" handgun the get a contender or encore.Don't get caught up in the big calibers(big game rifle) till you are used to shooting magnum pistol cartridges.Past that have fun and know your limitations 

Getting good with the .22 first is good advice. The much shorter sight base can be difficult for some people.

After that it depends on what type of gun do you want to use. If you go with a revolver, I would stick with the 44mag. I have talked to a couple guys that have had less than ideal shots with a 357 and there is not as much room for error.

That being said, my only pistol killed deer came from a S&W model 29 44mag. It was a nice gun, I just realized pistol hunting wasn't for me.

Love the 44 mag.  Shot placement is key as this round is slightly underpowered for larger deer IMO.  (200lbs range)  Took 3 bucks with this round but do not always get an exit wound.  Using a Winchester model 94 at less than 50 yards.  In a handgun I would want a little more fire power, JMO.

I wonder if Clint E. knows how many of the 44 mags. were sold after his movie.

I Had one and sold it,found it very uncomfortable trying to carry a rifle and that at the same time,Just carrying that might be OK.

My little 6" BBL. .357 fits me just fine.

If just taking one I take my Encore in 45 long colt with the choke for the .410,got quite a few red's and greys with that.

I have 2 xp-100's one in 35 rem and the other is 6mm-br and have killed deer with both of them but I prefer using one of my 44mag's I have killed 11 deer between the two of them.
Anything from the 357mag up to 50 sw in a handgun can be used for deer. The 44mag. Is a very good round for deer. Weather you chose a standard handgun or rifle cartridge, you have to be able to shoot it no else. All of us here telling you what we think is the best handgun round for deer all have different skill levels. We wont have to shoot your gun, you will.
Now I'll tell you what the best handgun and round for deer is THE ONE YOU SHOOT THE BEST

• Like 3

My advice would be to decide what you want out of the handgun first before you purchase one that ends up collecting dust and by that I mean - do you want a handgun to hunt with all by itself, or a sidearm that - if the shot presents itself you'll use it, but are primarily using a shotgun, rifle or ML.  Larry summed it up good with find "THE ONE THAT YOU SHOOT BEST" and try out as many as you can before you decide.  I too have a Remington XP100 in .35Rem and have killed a lot of deer with it since 1991 with some 100+yds.  I prefer this gun over any of the others I've shot and HANDGUN hunted with.  When I purchased the XP, I was looking for a handgun to hunt with that I was capable of consistently shooting good groups out to 150yds.  I shot quite a few different handguns including the Encore, savage, Redhawk in various barrel lengths and calibers and I found the XP to be the best fit for me.  Good luck in your search! 

Many caliber options for deer with Thompson Contender or Encore. I have a Contender in .35 Rem too, does a great job on deer. Bonus buying a Thompson is you can swap barrels. You can have as many caliber options you want....or need for all types of game.

Just do a lot of reading and good luck!