2013 Safest Hunting Season In NY History

Cabin Fever

That's according to the latest NYON (sorry, no link).

1. Guess those "pesky" youth hunters didn't do as bad as some believed they would, ya know, shooting anything that moved. Remember, so many people fearing going into the woods that weekend? Props to the hunter safety instructors, the youth hunters, and mentors!

2. The addition of rifles in new areas didn't increase hunting related accidents, like so many feared they would.  

See, the sky didn't fall afterall.... HUH.

• Like 1

Great news...

I remember the moaning and the WAILING of hunters who had grown up shooting shotguns at deer when the season opened up for rifles here a few years ago...

It was similar, albeit to a lesser extent , when they allowed Sunday hunting for deer a few years prior to that.

It's just human nature to be uncomfortable with change, regardless if it makes any sense or not.

• Like 2

That's according to the latest NYON (sorry, no link).

1. Guess those "pesky" youth hunters didn't do as bad as some believed they would, ya know, shooting anything that moved. Remember, so many people fearing going into the woods that weekend? Props to the hunter safety instructors, the youth hunters, and mentors!

2. The addition of rifles in new areas didn't increase hunting related accidents, like so many feared they would.  

See, the sky didn't fall afterall.... HUH.

look at the stats....one of the injuries was a youth hunter shooting himself during the youth season, another was a 15 year old hunting alone during the regular season shooting himself....

• Like 1

look at the stats....one of the injuries was a youth hunter shooting himself during the youth season, another was a 15 year old hunting alone during the regular season shooting himself....

I was thinking the same thing but I didn't have other years of data to compare and make a judgement on it. Both were errors of improper gun handling. I would like to hear how the 15 year old made out for not having an adult with him and if he was fined or what punishment he faced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am extremely happy that we have just had a very safe season. And I am ecstatic that our county allowed the use of rifles for the first time this year. I am completely invested in that idea and spent a bunch of money on a deer rifle specifically because we can now use it for deer hunting .... and I love the results I had with it this year. 

However, let's not get all crazy and giddy over the results of just one year. Most of the new rifle counties are still in their infancy with the use of rifles. Here in Ontario County we only have this one year under our belt. I wonder how many people actually went out and bought a new rifle like I did. I know a lot of people have gobs of money tied up in their shotguns and rifle law or no rifle law they are still using their shotguns. Eventually the whole hunting culture will move to rifles, but I'm sure that hasn't happened yet even in counties that have had the rifle law for a few years already.

I'm sure that a lot of rifle hunters are determined to show the nay-sayers that they were wrong. So, I think a lot of guys out there are still being very careful with their rifles, and I hope the respect for the increased range of these weapons continues to be impressed in their minds.

I know that our rifle law like so many of them is a "trial" arrangement that will be made permanent in the future IF we don't have any incidents. I would hate to see people get so sold on this safety record that they begin to relax their safety standards become casual and careless about their target selections and backstop requirements. I could see this whole thing getting yanked back if the right kind of tragedy occurs due to some over-confidence.

Im happy we have less hunters shooting themselves or fellow hunters ,however without tracking treestand falls saying " safest or safer" is a bit of a stretch .

One thing that comes to mind is the question of whether or not they are using the same metrics when they compile the info. That could make a heck of a difference in any comparisons from one year to another.