Need a way to get across a creek

martinhunter12

I know a guy who has some sort of Army truck thing that can go in water it's got the exhaust that is mounted up above the cab. He takes multiple men and a couple 4 wheelers across the Genesee river with it.......

For you I suggest a simple canoe.

Edited by Larry302

Jon boat or canoe like most suggest....or dbhunters idea on a tractor inner tube. I would opt for a piece of plywood on top. You would need a bike pump stored with it in case it needs air...these things can be enormous...as far as deer being bothered by a boat...I doubt it...once they were used to it they wouldn't pay it the slightest of attention....

with out seeing the area you are trying to cross I would lean towards the jon boat idea.

with any style of boat if you plan on tethering it to a cable or rope only attatch  it on the bow. 

attatching it via the bow and stern in swift water you stand a great chance of having the

boat swamped with water.   I would also attach a second line to pull yourself back and

forth across the stream. 

I would  suggest wearing a life jacket and keeping a set of dry clothes on each side of

the stream, with the cold water and colder temps in hunting season if you happen to

get wet you will need dry clothes to avoid hypothermia.

if you plan on going the boat route I would suggest making some practice runs during

the summer so you can get familiar with doing the crossing.

good  luck and be safe.

Edited by reeltime

I like Doewhacker's idea with the zip line!  Once it is set up you could attach the deer or anything else that was not too heavy.  Plus It would be permanent vs a boat that as we all know can have many issues. 

Nice thing about a zip line is it would be above the river making it less prone to destruction like a pull rope and boat.  Would let animals pass without knowing it is present.  Would require much more work but it would add fun to the trip!  OMG I want to see a deer on a zip line now. lmao!  Nope nothing on google.   Now that would be some funny stuff right their. :crazy:

• Like 1

We have a river up here with a couple cable crossings over the river a solid 20 + yds. 1 cable about 4' above the water to avoid spring floods and the other about 4-5' above that one. walk the one and use the other for a guide. We used these for years.. Gets a little tricky when the tension goes out though after a few years ....lol

If you do the rope and boat idea and your any where near the buffalo area I have plenty of 5/16 nylon rope that you can have It holds up great in water snow ect I use it on flag poles at work every day I even have 5/16 wire core halyard

Edited by Red

if your worried about deer getting spooked maybe build a little makeshift survival shelter kinda thing for it and drag it in when you get to the other side

if you build it early enough the deer will just be used to it

Edited by Vince1

It depends what you want to get across, I have something similar and we like to get our 4 wheelers across. To accomplish that it takes big lumber, carriage bolts, lags, lots of long screws. You can go pressure treated or hook up with a mill and get rough cut lumber. Then you need a way to drag you lumber out there, ect. Oh and take it from me, if you gonna build it make something that will handle a 4 wheeler.

• 4 weeks later...