Where do we stand with crossbows

Tinlodge

http://iboscores.com/results.php

Do a search for shoot and class

Interesting.

The MBR class which is basically our hunting set up and shot from the green stake compared to X-bow class shot fro the green stake yields some results that fly in the face of "putting a crossbow in the hands of a hunter turns them into a super hunter" . The MBR scores seem slightly higher.

The AHC (advanced Hunter) scores quite a bit over the X-bow

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Interesting.

The MBR class which is basically our hunting set up and shot from the green stake compared to X-bow class shot fro the green stake yields some results that fly in the face of "putting a crossbow in the hands of a hunter turns them into a super hunter" . The MBR scores seem slightly higher.

Whoever said this is an idiot. A good hunter is a good hunter. Weapon don't matter. It might make the shot a little easier but you still have to be where they are.

• Like 1

Whoever said this is an idiot. A good hunter is a good hunter. Weapon don't matter. It might make the shot a little easier but you still have to be where they are.

It was a quote of essence. The argument has been made many many times here before that the crossbow is so much more accurate, capable of much further distance and requires much less practice. Unless these guys are just pulling their crossbows out of the box and heading to IBO nationals, they seem to be outshot by even the hunting category, not to mention the advanced.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

It was a quote of essence. The argument has been made many many times here before that the crossbow is so much more accurate, capable of much further distance and requires much less practice. Unless these guys are just pulling their crossbows out of the box and heading to IBO nationals, they seem to be outshot by even the hunting category, not to mention the advanced.

You probably have better shooters shooting a bow than you do a crossbow. That's probably why I've never seen a crossbow shooter at a 3D shoot, there just aren't many of them. Most guys that get into competition shooting either shoot a bow or a gun. I'd bet if I put as much time into shooting a crossbow as I do a compound, I could shoot a lot better and further with the crossbow. I wonder if the guys shooting crossbow in competition have to shoot freehand or do they have a rest of some sort? That could have a lot to do with it too.

Interesting.

become proficient at anything can be possible with practice. The learning curve is what sets the 2 apart. I know the point you were trying to make, but I'm not sure it holds any weight when comparing professionals to novice hunters.

take an expert marksman shooting freehand and he can probably outshoot a novice hunter shooting prone with a bipod. But the time it takes the novice shooter to become proficient with a bipod is less than the time it takes the shooter to become proficient freehand. The tool, being the difference. Less tendency to error.

Edited by Belo

You probably have better shooters shooting a bow than you do a crossbow. That's probably why I've never seen a crossbow shooter at a 3D shoot, there just aren't many of them. Most guys that get into competition shooting either shoot a bow or a gun. I'd bet if I put as much time into shooting a crossbow as I do a compound, I could shoot a lot better and further with the crossbow. I wonder if the guys shooting crossbow in competition have to shoot freehand or do they have a rest of some sort? That could have a lot to do with it too.

all shooting is freehand

become proficient at anything can be possible with practice. The learning curve is what sets the 2 apart. I know the point you were trying to make, but I'm not sure it holds any weight when comparing professionals to novice hunters.

take an expert marksman shooting freehand and he can probably outshoot a novice hunter shooting prone with a bipod. But the time it takes the novice shooter to become proficient with a bipod is less than the time it takes the shooter to become proficient freehand. The tool, being the difference. Less tendency to error.

I used categories from the amateur divisions for the bow scores. I would have dropped way down to the beginners bow group that allows releases but they score at 35 yards. the one I quoted is amateur and the lowest category that that shoots at the green stake. 45 yards. (the same as the crossbows)

So you guys are now saying that the guys that shoot crossbows competitively, dont score as high as the vertical bow shooters, because they just dont practice as much, or arent as good of shooters as the vertical guys to begin with?

Yeah...they are lazy slobs in that arena too. Must be a section of a form you have to fill out when you buy one...lol

• Like 4

I think it was obvious he was not refering to handicapped as not being lazy... and I will add my .02. It's not that all crossbow hunters are lazy. In fact, I bet the majority will be great hunters and follow the written and unwritten rules just fine. It's the fear that there will certainly be some that will treat bow season like gun season. This will mostly hurt hunters with small parcels and heavy surrounding pressure and those that hunt public land. It all remains to be seen. But we constantly get asked what we're all worried about and that's it. That my peaceful archery season where it's 100x harder to kill a nice buck (not just any deer, but a nice buck) might be spoiled by a guy walking through the woods with an xbow and a cig sticking out the corner of my mouth. That has personally happened to me on posted private land more than once in my 15 years of hunting during gun... but never during archery.

We all keep saying how we want more people to take up hunting... worried that hunting numbers are down... so now your saying we ought to pick on the crossbow because of the added pressure from more hunters? so if more guys start hunting with a compound or recurve that would be ok? Because they probably aren't going to be a lazy smoker with a crossbow? I've seen guys walking through the woods whistling carrying their compound... I would hate to see more compound hunters because I'm worried they might be whistlers too. Unfortunately, there are always going to be a list challenges for guys that hunt small parcels or state land... I'm pretty sure crossbow hunters aren't going to be the biggest challenge on that list.

So you guys are now saying that the guys that shoot crossbows competitively, dont score as high as the vertical bow shooters, because they just dont practice as much, or arent as good of shooters as the vertical guys to begin with?

That's not what I said. Maybe it was misunderstood. I'm saying if you're a really good shot, more than likely you'll compete with a bow or gun. Theres more money in it and notoriety. Who the hell grows up saying " I wanna be the best crossbow shooter in the world"? By process of elimination, the better shots wont be in the crossbow division. I think Levi Morgan could outshoot anybody with his compound, including crossbow shooters. I'm sure they all practice a lot.

Edited by Arrow Flinger

I could shoot a lot better and further with the crossbow. I wonder if the guys shooting crossbow in competition have to shoot freehand or do they have a rest of some sort? That could have a lot to do with it too.

They shoot from a kneeling braced position. Ones I met at the national shoots are every bit as serious as those shooting vertical.

If I were going to shoot competitively in a mandatory off-hand fashion, I would much rather use the compound. Take away my crossbow bipod, or log benchrest, and I'm sure the heavy awkward crossbow would be an ugly thing to control compared to any kind of bow. I never have been all that good at off-hand shooting even with a gun. On the other hand, hunting is not competitive shooting. In a hunting scenario, I can use anything that a rifle shooter can use to make the thing rock-solid. Heck, I can even shoot prone or kneeling and braced off my knee. As I said, "anything that a rifle shooter can use to make the thing rock-solid". That is when the crossbow works out to have huge benefits. Using super-regulated and restricted competitive rules and then trying to compare the results to hunting situations is ridiculous.

just be glad that there are a*holes like me, who will take the time and point out lies. Sad that some believed him. The internet is a funny place. You can say anything and people believe you.

I never said you were that. Dip stick was not only making crap up, he seems to be implying that is what I do. Tell you one thing, the pro crossbow crowd isn't very adept at convincing neutral parties to side with them, see they are use to being the biggest...

Like the punk on the school yard getting on his toes to show you how tall he is. Everyone is big until they get punched in the face...

• Like 1

If I were going to shoot competitively in a mandatory off-hand fashion, I would much rather use the compound. Take away my crossbow bipod, or log benchrest, and I'm sure the heavy awkward crossbow would be an ugly thing to control compared to any kind of bow. I never have been all that good at off-hand shooting even with a gun. On the other hand, hunting is not competitive shooting. In a hunting scenario, I can use anything that a rifle shooter can use to make the thing rock-solid. Heck, I can even shoot prone or kneeling and braced off my knee. As I said, "anything that a rifle shooter can use to make the thing rock-solid". That is when the crossbow works out to have huge benefits. Using super-regulated and restricted competitive rules and then trying to compare the results to hunting situations is ridiculous.

I have had several opportunities to brace my arm on the tree I am in while shooting a compound too. it certainly helps. This was brought up as an illustration that the crossbow isn't some magic machine that will cure all the ills and that it is capable of so much more than a compound. The competition certainly is a very controlled environment but I don't think the point was ridiculous.

We all keep saying how we want more people to take up hunting... worried that hunting numbers are down... so now your saying we ought to pick on the crossbow because of the added pressure from more hunters? so if more guys start hunting with a compound or recurve that would be ok? Because they probably aren't going to be a lazy smoker with a crossbow? I've seen guys walking through the woods whistling carrying their compound... I would hate to see more compound hunters because I'm worried they might be whistlers too. Unfortunately, there are always going to be a list challenges for guys that hunt small parcels or state land... I'm pretty sure crossbow hunters aren't going to be the biggest challenge on that list.

I've stated this a few times before, but here it goes again. Do you really think hunter numbers will increase because of the crossbow? And what I mean, is that do you think NEW hunters will join in a significant amount because the crossbow is legal. Or do you think the majority of crossbow hunters will be compound converts or already gun hunters?

Also, I've posted before, but if you check NYS archery tag sales, they've been increases for at least the last 5 years. So what does the crossbow solve in terms of NEW hunters?

Edited by Belo

That's not what I said. Maybe it was misunderstood. I'm saying if you're a really good shot, more than likely you'll compete with a bow or gun. Theres more money in it and notoriety. Who the hell grows up saying " I wanna be the best crossbow shooter in the world"? By process of elimination, the better shots wont be in the crossbow division. I think Levi Morgan could outshoot anybody with his compound, including crossbow shooters. I'm sure they all practice a lot.

gotcha now.

I've stated this a few times before, but here it goes again. Do you really think hunter numbers will increase because of the crossbow? And what I mean, is that do you think NEW hunters will join in a significant amount because the crossbow is legal. Or do you think the majority of crossbow hunters will be compound converts or already gun hunters?

Also, I've posted before, but if you check NYS archery tag sales, they've been increases for at least the last 5 years. So what does the crossbow solve in terms of NEW hunters?

According to an interview that Ottie Snyder ( representative for the HORTON COMPANY ) gave a few years ago . They expect it will draw youngsters , women and Men who don't have time to practice into the crossbow fold and increase the hunting numbers significantly .

According to an interview that Ottie Snyder ( representative for the HORTON COMPANY ) gave a few years ago . They expect it will draw youngsters , women and Men who don't have time to practice into the crossbow fold and increase the hunting numbers significantly .

Horton also shuttered its doors after years of mismanagement in 2013.