Where are all the turkeys?

bowaholic

Turkey season is coming up sooner than a lot of people may think but I have one question...where are all the birds?!

I hunt in Oneida county and northern Madison county and have noticed a SEVERE drop in the turkey population over the last four or five years.  Fisher population I know is rising and they are spreading, so I think that this is a main reason for it. My father has had people tell him that there is an eye parasite that they have been getting which kills them, (starvation, predators etc.)  During deer bow season I had a hen with three polts that couldn't have been bigger than a crow walk under my stand.  I used to see bird everywhere!

I'm just curious if it is just my areas that the population has dropped or if it is a state wide issue.       

• Like 1

The guys I hunt with have noticed a significant drop in turkey sightings over the last 4 years since the erection of the wind turbines in an area of Wyoming county where we hunt. We are wondering if the motion of the blades has scared off our flocks. Also, the area where the turkeys would normally roost were wiped out with the clearing of some adjacent property for one of the pinwheels..

Nothing cuts back turkey numbers quicker than a cold, wet nesting season, and there have been several of those in the last few years.

Nesting success was  especially bad last spring.  Broods were small and late. A couple of decent nesting seasons would help reverse the trend.

• Like 1

the turkey populations by me have dropped, but the old ag abandoned field have been put back into production all around me due to the corn(biofuel craze) loss of nesting / bugging cover has been tremendous that coupled with wet springs and poor hatches are the biggest factors by me. i keep after predator pretty well as do my neighbors.

Saw more turkeys than ever on our lease in 7S this past fall.The farmer planted the large fields with oats in the spring and we did some food plots which seemed to concentrate the birds.They also really hit the hemlocks hard early fall,never seen such deep scratchings for whatever type of seed drops from them they love them.I was actually able to sneak up on a flock during bow season they were so concentrated on digging under those trees they didnt even care to notice!

Merlot where in wyoming county I hunt from bliss to portageville .Travel from Arcade to portageville every weekend.I see no decline in turkey.As for the wind mills I hunt within yards of them in bliss and they do not bother the turkey.Have shoot quite a few long birds under windmills.Not argueing just telling you what I have experienced.Now deer that is different if you say where are the deer i agree.I use to see 40 to 50 deer in my trip from arcade to portage now if Isee 4 or 5 I am supprised