Posted

Paula

What color signs do you use and Where did you get them?

I have 3 different now but have seen blue sign with red writing and a red posted

With the posted cut out.

I want a variety of colors. I am thinking no matter the word on it the colors will draw

Attention and I won't have any or so many trespassers

Edited by Paula

They are starting to fade now and this will be the fifth year they were put up. I will probably be reposting the property this year. I don't mind reposting every few years if its only costing me a few bucks. The hard plastic ones last much longer and maintain there color. I have a few of those by my gate and they still look pretty good. But they are much more expensive. I think over $1 per sign.

i have orange and black and yellow and black, made of aluminum..they last forever and no need for backer board. best way to keep off tresspasser is to kick them off and follow up..walk them right off your property,take down their tag number licence plate number.. a year or two of that and word spreads and it just stops..

• Like 1

Most durable option is to order aluminum signs from Voss sign.  They go on sale for $100 per 100.  Mine have been up for a decade and still look new.  If you are lucky you will get a year or two out of paper/4-5yr out of plastic.  Once I changed to metal I will never change back.  Do it once and be done

• Like 4

i have orange and black and yellow and black, made of aluminum..they last forever and no need for backer board. best way to keep off tresspasser is to kick them off and follow up..walk them right off your property,take down their tag number licence plate number.. a year or two of that and word spreads and it just stops..

I had a problem when i first bought my property. Lots of tresspassers as land was abandoned for a while. But once the locals noticed there was a new owner, they backed off and i don't see anyone now. First opening day i must have warned 10 people to stay off my property. They got the hint. I don't mind if you ask permission. If you see new POSTED signs would you just keep on walking?

I have the yellow plastic and aluminum ones. I have put some on boards using a step ladder.

Wish I could walk out all the trespassers but I don't see them all. I mostly find boot tracks and get the backs of the heads in camera

I have gone with the Voss aluminum yellow background with black lettering and with my name and address stamped on from the seller. They are well over 30 years old.

Here is some of what I have learned about posting:

Go with a material that holds up the longest (aluminum in my opinion).

Back each sign with a board. I used pressure-treated plywood.

Nail the wood-backed signs to mature trees where possible. Younger trees, especially soft woods will grow quite a bit in a few years and pull the attaching nails through the sign.

Leave the nails out from the face of the sign by about 1/4" to allow room for the tree to grow.

Do not be cheap with  the placement of the signs. I have a general rule where at any point along the line, I can always see at least 3 signs at a time. The one in front of me and one on the right and one on the left. No one can ever claim that they did not see one of my signs.

Do it right and you will only have to do it once (with an occasional walk around to replace a few signs that someone has destroyed).

Just a little side-note and a heads-up;

Do not put an aluminum sign directly against the newer pressure-treated lumber or plywood. The chemicals used in the current treating process will eat away the thin aluminum that is in direct contact very quickly when exposed to rain on a regular basis. A piece of roofing felt paper (15# or 30#) between the sign and plywood is a good solution.

Coated deck screws or triple-dipped galvanized nails should be used for fasteners through the sign and the backer. Staples through the sign and into the treated wood will likely be gone in a few months.

I had a problem when i first bought my property. Lots of tresspassers as land was abandoned for a while. But once the locals noticed there was a new owner, they backed off and i don't see anyone now. First opening day i must have warned 10 people to stay off my property. They got the hint. I don't mind if you ask permission. If you see new POSTED signs would you just keep on walking?

Well here is an example, a large piece of property nearby was posted by a local resident and he let everyone know he leased it.kicked everyone off it and hunted for several years (at least 5 i know of). Last year my neighbor was doing work on a summer residents house and was asked if he hunted, in exchange for a dealn price o he was given a piece of land to hunt that was owned by this out of state summer owner. turns out this guy who said he had leased and posted this propery never leased or had right to be there. i helped repost it and saw the written lease signed between my neighbor and actuall owner(who was very upset his land was being used with out his knowledge)He wanted to go after the guy but we convinced him that the embarrasment he would face from everyone (its a small town of local residents) would be more than enough. All this took place 5 days before bow season.. Perhaps they want to see who new owner is if it is anyone at all. I have even had a piece of property in the middle of my property posted and was told that i had given the guy permission to hunt there.. funny look on his face wheni told him i gave him permission? last i saw of him as well.                Paula spend the money on good metal signs you wont be dissapointed just leave enough space with nails so tree can expand 1/4-1/2  in . but no signs or all the signs in the world do not help if your not there to kick people off for a  while.. if there is a chain up on parking area / driveway remove it . no better way to know your not there than to advertize it with a chain or gate.. if you have a trust worthy friend in the area have them drive in and out of drive on random days to leave some tracks.

Paula spend the money on good metal signs you wont be dissapointed just leave enough space with nails so tree can expand 1/4-1/2  in . but no signs or all the signs in the world do not help if your not there to kick people off for a  while.. if there is a chain up on parking area / driveway remove it . no better way to know your not there than to advertize it with a chain or gate.. if you have a trust worthy friend in the area have them drive in and out of drive on random days to leave some tracks.

Thanks, think i will introduce myself to a neighbor

• Like 1

Another good way to deter people is if you know someone with a "winter car" ask to borrow it and park it in the.driveway. Now they think someone is there , have a friend or neighbor move it around the driveway so it looks like your driving in and out... tresspassers love to go when they think no one is there the more they wonder the less the go...

You can tell when a New guy buys some property. The posted signs are 10 feet apart..   Kind of trashes up the wilderness. Common sense is the best way to post your property.

10 ft or less is my goal.  I don't want there to be any confusion

How far apart is best to post the signs?- , not just the legal posting distance but so people have no excuse for missing the signs.  100 ft apart, 150ft ?? 

"I have a general rule where at any point along the line, I can always see at least 3 signs at a time. The one in front of me and one on the right and one on the left. No one can ever claim that they did not see one of my signs."

• Like 1

You can tell when a New guy buys some property. The posted signs are 10 feet apart..   Kind of trashes up the wilderness. Common sense is the best way to post your property.

I don't buy the "visual pollution" argument .... lol. Posted signs are intended to convey a message. In most cases more is better. It really is limited only by the amount of cash the landowner has to spend. Nothing says, "I really mean it" like a posted line that is over-posted. If someone wants to add emphasis by using extra signs, I fully understand and sympathize with them. There are some places where people make of habit of working up bogus arguments about how they didn't see the signs,

• Like 4

Here is some of what I have learned about posting:

Back each sign with a board. I used pressure-treated plywood.

Nail the wood-backed signs to mature trees where possible. Younger trees, especially soft woods will grow quite a bit in a few years and pull the attaching nails through the sign.

Leave the nails out from the face of the sign by about 1/4" to allow room for the tree to grow.

Do not be cheap with  the placement of the signs. I have a general rule where at any point along the line, I can always see at least 3 signs at a time. The one in front of me and one on the right and one on the left. No one can ever claim that they did not see one of my signs.

Do it right and you will only have to do it once (with an occasional walk around to replace a few signs that someone has destroyed).

There is very sound advice right there! Especially the first 3 if you want them to last.

I like to use a step ladder so they are 8 or so feet up.  Less likely to be torn down.

I use the yellow with black letters.  Make sure you put your name on the signs.