Crossbows in NY!!!

TheFieldArcher

But in NY it is considered "new". Many people in NY will own an xbow and nothing else archery-wise, so when they teach their kids and friends how to hunt, it will be with an xbow. When I have kids someday, I will teach them to use an xbow and a gun. Maybe I'm wrong, only time will tell. But I honestly believe compounds will become rare in NY in years to come, just like recurves are now. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right on this imo.

Xbows make up 50% ballpark of harvest numbers for Ohio's bow season and I expect the same here within a short while.

When I shot my last buck in Ohio, I took it to a meat locker. The guy said "crossbow kill, eh?" I said no. I shot it with my bow. He literally reference my compound as a long bow the rest of the conversation. I got the clear sense that most deer brought in there were xbow related. He made it seem like I was a God for being able to shoot a deer at 35 yards with a "long bow" right in the pocket.

Xbows are going to do what compounds did, maybe not to as high of a %, but it will be high enough.

Maybe I'm wrong, only time will tell. But I honestly believe compounds will become rare in NY in years to come, just like recurves are now. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm open-minded on this subject.  I don't think I'll use a crossbow, only because I love shooting my compound so much.  I won't say never to crossbows, but not for me in the near future.

I'm curious to know if you hunt with a compound?

I'm open-minded on this subject. I don't think I'll use a crossbow, only because I love shooting my compound so much. I won't say never to crossbows, but not for me in the near future.

I'm curious to know if you hunt with a compound?

No I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going off the beaten path here -------

Making things easier for newbies is not a good thing in my opinion . People don't learn to accept failure . It's part of the "dumbing down of America" !

Examples :

1) T-Ball --- Scores aren't kept . Kids run the bases . There are no losers . Everyone is a winner so little Billy Bob doesn't cry when he strikes out .

2) Daddy takes little Billy Bob gun hunting during the Youth Hunt . The kid hunts with a gun while others are using bows . Because it's warmer weather than during gun season  he doesn't suffer the cold and is made to think that's what hunting is about . Plus he isn't in the way when Daddy deer hunts

3) Tests are too hard so they are simplified so more students get passing grades . Stupid kids don't know they are failures until they enter the Real World ..

4) Schools do away with Honor Roll Lists so little Johnny isn't embarrassed because his name isn't on the list .

Making things easier doesn't prepare people for failure and that's probably why so many turn to drugs ! I doubt that some youngster that starts out hunting with a crossbow is going to switch to a Compound later on .

IMO, T-Ball is a big mistake, lacrosse is the sport to play in the spring! ;)

• Like 1

That is not the way of the world right now. There is a love affair that almost approaches a religious level when it comes to technology. A gadget or gizmo is only good until the next one comes out. Hunting is merely a question of what implement can produce the best results, in the shortest time, with the least amount of effort. A modern hunting style that was created for the sake of challenge is now looked down on as a waste of good deer harvest opportunities that is too limited by the very tool that the season was created for. You may not like it, but it is a mentality that you have to accept and live with, and is not going to go away. You would probably be shocked to look into the future and see where all this will eventually lead us.

Interesting, I have older children in their 20s now and they speak a language I don't even understand anymore. When I dare ask what's this or what's that used for the response I usually get gives me the feeling like Im being spoken to like a child. 

Holy cow just watching TV has become such a technological affair with video streaming and Netflix and watching movies on notebooks, with blue ray, even freakin 3D all while laying in bed.

Don't even get me started on Iphones and driods, people literally have their entire lives contained on these little devices which are 1/2 the size of a pack of smokes, and there is an app for almost everything and if their isn't an app well who needs it anyhow.

The thing I'm seeing that really makes me wonder is the few young hunters that I do know have these phones in their hands almost the whole time they are sitting in the stand???????

But in NY it is considered "new". Many people in NY will own an xbow and nothing else archery-wise, so when they teach their kids and friends how to hunt, it will be with an xbow. When I have kids someday, I will teach them to use an xbow and a gun. Maybe I'm wrong, only time will tell. But I honestly believe compounds will become rare in NY in years to come, just like recurves are now. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recurves are only rare to those that don't shoot traditional... you'd be surprised at how many bow hunters use traditional equipment still... I'm around them all the time... trad gang.com is one of the largest archery sites on the internet. But you're right.. only time will tell... nothing surprises me anymore

not sure why we needed another thread, but please explain this statement further. How many non-hunters (who already gun hunt and do not bow hunt already) do you know who are now going to start slaying whitetails?

Its the crossbow section, they are legal now, get used to it. Honestly if you dont like crossbows, why do you even participate in the threads about them?

agree. And I think we've talked this topic before, but how serious or how inclined are you to keep hunting if the only weapon you will use is a crossbow? Heck i think most of us started with guns and moved to archery because we just love hunting.

And you dont think that many will eventually move over to a bow to up the challenge? Im not saying all will, but Id bet many will.

The biggest upside to Lacrosse is a free college education.

The biggest upside to Baseball is millions of dollars.

I was just kidding... and exactly the point I was getting at, you can argue what sport is better... really, a free college education from any sport is a home run! lol... and the debate can go on like this thread... and at the end of the day, just enjoy what you like and what fits you best!

Its the crossbow section, they are legal now, get used to it. Honestly if you dont like crossbows, why do you even participate in the threads about them?

enter the resident mod with his tough love attitude. I noticed you were quite for a while after you were called out last time. Didn't take time for that to cool off did it?

• 2 weeks later...

TheFieldArcher; just wanted to comment on the first post-video - about 2:30 you show what seems like a handy device to draw back - load the X. Wasn't a few years ago I saw a demo of a few X's where loading them looked like a struggle, and one pse model with a crank that made more noise then a lawn mower. I thought man, there's got to be a better way. It may be you included that clip by chance but to me I wouldn't consider an X if there wasn't a reasonable - quiet way to make ready. Figured that was a worthy mention.

And then I thought after all the lead up this guy is just going to shoot another squirrel.  :bye:

enter the resident mod with his tough love attitude. I noticed you were quite for a while after you were called out last time. Didn't take time for that to cool off did it?

Called out for what? Get over yourself bub. Im still allowed to have an opinion of my own. I was quiet because I have other things going on with my life than sitting here debating what you guys think I can and cant say on this forum. The owner of the site put that debate to bed a long time ago, so there really is no debate to be had.

Regardless, are you just going to leave your lame personal shot stand instead of answering the question? I probably know the answer....

Im pretty excited about something new to spice things up a bit. I enjoy hunting deer and the challenge that each separate season brings with it. Cant wait to get out there next fall and try to tag one with an xbow.  And yes im an avid archery hunter and will continue to use my compound as well.

• Like 4

Are you planning on introducing new hunters to the x-bow season?

Doubt it......so your opinion is based on your own selfishness. Don't underestimate what others will do with this opportunity.

You said it,  we are sportsman and woman the ideal is to help other get outdoor and enjoy it...So that an opinion and do to the safe act it might get other back into hunting that my opinion...

• 3 months later...

New to the site, never realized it was here!

Anyways, I have been hunting in NY for 37 years, Bow hunting since I was 14. I never ever thought I would see a day that hunters, who fight for the constitutional rights of all and are so strongly united as brothers would attack the rights and choices of other hunters. This is really a sad time for Sportsmen and it personally sadens me to see such behavior!! It's not about being old, it's not about being handicapped, it's about being an American and free to choose his or her own respected hunting style. I hunt both and enjoy both.

I have seen statements from people saying a crossbow is not a bow...you do not need to practice...it is easier than vertical bow hunting. First off, if it does not shoot a bullet and go bang! it is not a gun, if its not a bow...what is it? a short arrow tosser!, and its just silly to say you do need to practice, I know both vertical bow hunters and crossbow hunters, the crossbow hunters have them beat badly in practice hours, try buying a crossbow and hitting the woods without a good deal of practice and see how many injuries you come back with and hopefully you do not cause a fatal injury to yourself or another, thats like saying you should not practice with a gun either! Last, crossbows are easier to score with, well you still have to be a good hunter, you still need to practice and you still need to put in the time...just like a vertical bow, just like a firearm!

I can not even believe I am seeing this argument between Sportsmen that are supposed to be united instead of pursuing their own agendas and personal likes! Very sad!!

• Like 6

Anyways, I have been hunting in NY for 37 years, Bow hunting since I was 14. I never ever thought I would see a day that hunters, who fight for the constitutional rights of all and are so strongly united as brothers would attack the rights and choices of other hunters. This is really a sad time for Sportsmen and it personally sadens me to see such behavior!! It's not about being old, it's not about being handicapped, it's about being an American and free to choose his or her own respected hunting style. I hunt both and enjoy both.

I have seen statements from people saying a crossbow is not a bow...you do not need to practice...it is easier than vertical bow hunting. First off, if it does not shoot a bullet and go bang! it is not a gun, if its not a bow...what is it? a short arrow tosser!, and its just silly to say you do need to practice, I know both vertical bow hunters and crossbow hunters, the crossbow hunters have them beat badly in practice hours, try buying a crossbow and hitting the woods without a good deal of practice and see how many injuries you come back with and hopefully you do not cause a fatal injury to yourself or another, thats like saying you should not practice with a gun either! Last, crossbows are easier to score with, well you still have to be a good hunter, you still need to practice and you still need to put in the time...just like a vertical bow, just like a firearm!

I can not even believe I am seeing this argument between Sportsmen that are supposed to be united instead of pursuing their own agendas and personal likes! Very sad!!

The sad part is that its not just XBows. Its how someone hunts, Its what kind of animal. Its where someone chooses to hunt and on down the line. The writing is on the wall for those that choose to read it!  Good Post There Scout!

Scout ...you have a point and I own a xbow and have been bow hunting, lets just say a number of years...the only true problem is the DEC  "did the pup" or allowed it  when setting up regulations...it's a bow fine ...then put it in the archery class not a side note in gun Don't diddo around with this time or that...ml tag to use and what not. Mixed messages all around.

1. how do you hunt both? they just became illegal?

2. by your logic of right to choose; should it be ok for me to hunt with dogs? Over a bait pile? with a rocket launcher or claymores? How about hunting in the spring too? Why even have regulations if we should be able to do what we choose?

3. Way to stir up a nest that needed no stirring. They're legal. get over it.

1. how do you hunt both? they just became illegal?

2. by your logic of right to choose; should it be ok for me to hunt with dogs? Over a bait pile? with a rocket launcher or claymores? How about hunting in the spring too? Why even have regulations if we should be able to do what we choose?

3. Way to stir up a nest that needed no stirring. They're legal. get over it.

1. Crossbows were legal before, and they are legal in other states. I kinda think hes saying he hunts archery and gun.

2. I see you havent changed, gotta cling to the old rocket launcher and grenade routine or no regulations routine? Rule #5 in an argument, when you have no point, resort to off the wall extremes.

3. Hes not the one that needs to get over it. You are so obvious.

BTW, i asked before and you never answered, why do you even bother responding to the subject?

• Like 2