Is it worth going in late?

K9-26

So the story is my wife had surgery last week which has her laid up. I have daycare available for my twin 2 year old girls but not until 7am. Is it worth heading out there if I can't get set up until 8ish? I'm fairly new to turkey hunting and all I have learned is be out way before sunrise.

Yes, many turkey are shot well after 8 and when henned up the toms are more receptive to calling after the hens leave to lay egg.. 830-1200 noon. My nephew got his bird at 845 this Past sunday. Later in am is also good when bad weather as turkeys will stay on roost longer up to 2-hrs past sunrise.

• Like 1

K9,  It definitely is worth it.  I've shot birds late in the morning and close to noon, in one case about 11:50.  Often the a  hen the gobbler is with will nest up a few hours after sun-up and the gobbler will look for another hen.  In some states where hunting afternoon is allowed they shoot them in the afternoon.  Good luck.

Edited by adkbuck
  • Like 1

Hearing them from the roost is always cool and they seem to gobble more from the roost but you can hunt them till noon so have at it. You will have to do more run and gun unless you already know when they like to head. I'm ready to go right now .. even though I'm sitting on my couch LOL.

I may get a late start too on Friday.  My truck has a flat and am not changing it out in the rain for the doughnut spare.  Looks like a screw in the tire treads. Otherwise I have to try another area that I can take the car into.

Supposed to have 3 inches of rain today and some more tomorrow. So, without the truck, no low dirt roads or muddy parking spots which takes out 3 or 4 locations for me.

I haven't seen a Tom during season yet, but I have had a hens running across a field at 10:30 last season.  But this is my 3rd Turkey season, so still learning a few things.  We didn't have turkeys nearby to hunt when I grew up, so I am learning this on my own.

Last Tom I spotted was at 7 PM last week, hope he is still around.

K9-26, Plan for getting bit up by gnats, black flies, and mosquitoes.  Pulling out the Sawyers Permethrin to treat my clothes tonight.  Last year a few got around my shooting glasses.  Got to figure out a solution for that still.

I may get a late start too on Friday. My truck has a flat and am not changing it out in the rain for the doughnut spare. Looks like a screw in the tire treads. Otherwise I have to try another area that I can take the car into.

Supposed to have 3 inches of rain today and some more tomorrow. So, without the truck, no low dirt roads or muddy parking spots which takes out 3 or 4 locations for me.

I haven't seen a Tom during season yet, but I have had a hens running across a field at 10:30 last season. But this is my 3rd Turkey season, so still learning a few things. We didn't have turkeys nearby to hunt when I grew up, so I am learning this on my own.

Last Tom I spotted was at 7 PM last week, hope he is still around.

K9-26, Plan for getting bit up by gnats, black flies, and mosquitoes. Pulling out the Sawyers Permethrin to treat my clothes tonight. Last year a few got around my shooting glasses. Got to figure out a solution for that still.

Thermacell will be with me for sure!