gun safes

Ive been thinking about buying a safe for a really long time but ive been slacking I have a 3yr 4yr old and a 10 month old so now it's really time to purchase one plus I was just watching tv and trying to remember where each gun is stashed and it took some time to remember where they all are. I don't want a cheap safe but nothing to expensive maybe high point around $700 I'm looking for some suggestions gander has a few nice ones but I'm gonna wait until July/august and hope that when cabelas opens that they'll have done on sale

Liberty makes some real safes. Even their smaller $400-$500 safes are impressive. Theses smaller ones weigh around 250 - 300 lbs and have a fire rating of around 30min. at 1200 degrees. It takes a while for a fire to get to 1200 degrees. I would give them a serious look. I am looking myself. and I think Liberty is probably the one I will go with.

Liberty is a good safe. I worked for a gun safe company for ten years many years ago.

Few things buy bigger then you think,you'll need. Ok i went from 10 gun to 16 and now 24 ,wish I just got the 24 to start with.oh and you'll never get that number of guns I them .

I got maybe 10 or 12 long guns in mine, a gun with a scope takes up 2x the room. I also,like room for binos,watches,handguns,files of paperwork etc.

Buy bigger,you'll thank me.

Mount it in a corner,to limit access with pry bars,bolt it down as well.

Keep,it,out of view of casual visitors, workmen and so on.

Factory ratings mean nothing, look for U.L. Labels.

A cheaper safe well hidden that no one knows about may well protect you more then a more expensive one people know about and bring the tools needed to,force entry.

I have a liberty pretty happy with it.... Just out of curiosity where are you located that they are opening a new cabelas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are opening a BRAND NEW, 1st EVER in NYS in Cheektowaga.  The hiring process is started as the store is nearing completion.

Good move Red, I bet they have some good deals at the grand opening.  Ironically when Gander Mountain came to Buffalo that is when I bought my safe.  

I got a Field & Stream 24 gun fire rated dial combo safe on black Friday for $350.  especially if you've got scoped guns take your number of guns and then double it.  start there.  I've got a 24 gun with half a dozen guns in it on one side and shelves full of other important stuff on the other half.

Two things to consider:

How many guns you own.  Like everyone stated, double the number of guns you have.

Second, where are you going to put it!!!

I just bought a Winchester 24 gun, key pad entry, fire rated... a few weeks ago.  It weighs 500 pounds.  It was a chore getting it upstairs into my man room.

It was right around $700.

Two things to consider:

How many guns you own. Like everyone stated, double the number of guns you have.

Second, where are you going to put it!!!

I just bought a Winchester 24 gun, key pad entry, fire rated... a few weeks ago. It weighs 500 pounds. It was a chore getting it upstairs into my man room.

It was right around $700.

I have the same safe. It becomes much easier to move if you take the door off. Just do not loose the ball bearings in the hinges. When ever I have had to move my safe I take a magnet and pull the bearings out of the hinges so they don't accidentally fall out. The door alone weighs about 200 lbs.

Another thing that hasn't been brought up yet is are you trying to display you firearms or not. I see lots of quality built wooden cabinets with solidly built doors and glass for a in the living room style cabinet....my father had one and had 3 kids never had issues with it. I'm actually building one for me as personally I would rather my kids be educated on them than curious. Just a thought.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I have the same safe. It becomes much easier to move if you take the door off. Just do not loose the ball bearings in the hinges. When ever I have had to move my safe I take a magnet and pull the bearings out of the hinges so they don't accidentally fall out. The door alone weighs about 200 lbs.

Being able to take the door off to loose some weight was one reason I naught the one I did. Very pleased with it.

I got a cannon safe from I think it was either BJs or Costco. Its pretty big, but go as big as you can afford you will understand why. And look for one that provides an outlet inside I wired mine with a switch, lights and the dehumidifier thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got a cannon and love it. Think it's a 24,gun but like all the above get big as you can. Mine came with an AC outlet built in, I run a golden rod dehumidifier and bough a hygrometer to keep an eye on relative humidity . Get a couple buddies as they are real heavy.

• Like 1

Here's a good link about gun "safes". Angle grinder and I got side side cut off any big box store gun safe in under one minute,they'er really not much more the a locker with a heavy door. Which is why hiding it and keeping your mouth shut is key......

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/

Liberty makes some real safes. Even their smaller $400-$500 safes are impressive. Theses smaller ones weigh around 250 - 300 lbs and have a fire rating of around 30min. at 1200 degrees. It takes a while for a fire to get to 1200 degrees. I would give them a serious look. I am looking myself. and I think Liberty is probably the one I will go with.

Safe ratings are often openly given, but the numbers really are hard to relate to. For example, what are the actual temperatures that house fires can produce, and how long are those temperatures sustained in the worst of the house fires. Then comes the question of the effects on the materials inside. When they claim protection against damage, are they talking paper documents, plastics, wood stocks, metallurgical properties of steel, stability of ammunition, etc., etc.  I have never been able to find these numbers or fire conditions anywhere to verify if the ratings are sufficient. Has anyone ever run across that kind of data anywhere? It would help make some of the decisions.

Ya I worked for a safe company. U.L. Was in there all the time checking our work ,accounting for all there numbered U.L. Labels. They have several levels, 1/2 ,hour one hour etc. When the ul guys came in it was a little like the irs, was going over your tax forms. You may know everything is ok but those guys were serious !

Some of the higher ratings require the safe to withstand say 1,700 degrees for an hour,cool down, the safe is dropped like 20 ( say falling through the burned out floor of your home ,reheated. The inside temp.s must stay below the charring point of paper.

This is why I stated you want ul labels .factory labels mean nothing,ul comes in and makes sure everything is perfect or there labels don't go on.

Take note those that live in the sticks need higher ratings,because your fire protection just isn't there, so expect your safe to drop into the basement I guess......

Here's a link I found.

http://www.klsecurity.com/ul_ratings/1-hour-2-hr-3-hours.html

And another

http://www.sentrysafe.com/University/Safes_101

Edited by Larry302

I picked up a Browning safe off of craigslist a few years back. The guy had a receipt that said he paid $2700. He was moving and couldn't take it. I got it for $650. If you don't mind used with a few dings or scratches, try looking for a used one.

as an example, here's a safe that is listed on Craigslist. It looks worth the $350 selling price

http://hartford.craigslist.org/spo/4460954260.html

Edited by mmkay