"Fresh" Rub

letinmfly

I stumbled across this "fresh" rub on Sunday while turkey hunting with my nephew.  I have never in all my years of hunting or walking through the woods have seen such a recent rub this late in the year.  Anyone else ever come across one this late?

photo2-2.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

It doesn't really look like a rub to me.  Too low to the ground and the bark is more stripped from the tree than "rubbed"

One mans opinion...................................... B)

Kind of thought the same thing when I saw it...what could have made it if it isn't a rub?

Kind of thought the same thing when I saw it...what could have made it if it isn't a rub?

If it was 45 years ago I'd guess a fat little 7 year old named Larry..................................................... :biggrin:

• Like 2

squirrels and porcupines will strip bark like this on different kinds of trees, not sure but that's what I'm thinking.

I can't speak for porky's but I've certainly never seen anything like that in the squirrel woods I frequent.

We have very few if any porky's in the areas I hunt.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

wouldn't a fresh rub have some bark and chips on the ground next to the tree? IMHO.

I didn't look for any shavings as I was very surprised to see it.  Not 100% sure if it is a rub so maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.  It is located in an area with numerous old rubs from last year and years passed.

Yeah, if it was a recent antler rub, there would be pieces of bark on top of the leaves. It may not be as recent as it looks. Over the winter months, they can stay amazingly fresh looking.

Yeah that is awful close to the ground. If it was a rub, the deer would be smashing his nose into the ground. Look for a deer with a bent over nose and you probably will have found the deer that made it.