Rebuild after 20 years. and this seasons prep..

G-Man

Well after 20 years, decided it was time to rebuild a couple of very productive permanent stands. The rot wasn't to bad but opted for a complete rebuild and increased size. Have a few more permanent to fix (minor repairs) and about 20 more portables to hang. I have a do not enter woods rule for month before the season. so i have under 60 days left... Tis the season!!! :)post-899-0-02197300-1404709608_thumb.jpgpost-899-0-36152500-1404709731_thumb.jpgpost-899-0-42497700-1404709841_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I use to do the same thing, check each season all the wood built ones and repair as needed and also hang new alum ladder stands

Now at 73 I have only one alum ladder stand, and sit in a few natural blinds in the woods, on the ground.

The percentage of getting a buck each year from tree stand went from 95% to just about 10% on the ground.

Not as easy on the ground, but when you get one, eye ball to eye ball it sure does make this old man heart race a bit.

I wish all a good season and be safe, take the time now to check out all your tree stands and make sure they are still safe to use.

Looks good. I haven't even been in a wooden stand in maybe 20 years!

Sure used the heck out of them before that though. Built more than my share and helped on plenty of others.

We've been using hang on, ladder, climbers and hut types for 20+ years.

Good looking stands……Use to have a bunch of permanent stands that me an my hunting buddies built into trees.. The remnants of all of them  are still there. Some of them I built when I was still in High School…WOW!!! I love seeing the old things when Im out hunting now. Brings back a lot of memories.. Kind of cool. I have several of my old, rotten wooden stands within a few yards of the climbers and ladder stands that  I replaced them with. The platform of one of my  ladder stands sits about a foot over whats left of an old wooden stand that I built when I was about 18 or 19. Some of the 2x4's are from an old picnic table that my grandmother was getting rid of at the time... LOL!! 

I use to do the same thing, check each season all the wood built ones and repair as needed and also hang new alum ladder stands

Now at 73 I have only one alum ladder stand, and sit in a few natural blinds in the woods, on the ground.

The percentage of getting a buck each year from tree stand went from 95% to just about 10% on the ground.

Not as easy on the ground, but when you get one, eye ball to eye ball it sure does make this old man heart race a bit.

I wish all a good season and be safe, take the time now to check out all your tree stands and make sure they are still safe to use.

Being the same age I just Wave to the 1 ladder stand I have left standing as I walk by it..I started on the ground and guess I will finish on the ground,There a number of old wood stands hanging in pieces all over my property, nature will take its course.

I have a blind made out of old tree trunks in a pretty good spot with a good view of the shootable areas.

Infact the deer bed down in it a good part of the summer.

It's interesting, each year as I scout and decide where to put up a new stand there has been an old broken down wood stand within 50 yds of where I find the best sign! I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.

Gman the new stands look great. 

Edited by gonehntn

• 2 weeks later...

i have well over 20 portable stands. as for killing trees its only good for firewood. there are six permanant stands on my property, one permant stand has accounted for 53 deer alone. i use both perm and portable, along with boxblinds, ladders and even one pit blind.. everyone has its own purpose.

I moved and reworked one last year.  Added sides and might add a canopy this summer. I need another go to stand during the inclement weather. Witnessed some great breeding activity in its new location last season during a rain event.  People on here commented that it looked unsafe. Been hunting out of it for 13 years. Made it out of treated lumber. Except for its weathered wood color, it's about as good as the day it was constructed. No nails in the trees too. Also have another wood stand that's been in use for 14 seasons. It's treated where it needs to be for safety. Still very strong and yes, no nails in the tree on it.

That reminds me, wonder how grows cardboard stands are holding up?

post-888-0-94020200-1405596689_thumb.jpg

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

OMG that stupid stand is still doing good...I still have the original card board/tarp roof on it chair is never wet...had to wash cover on the clothe office chair because I left windows open after turkey season and a raccoon crapped on it...the door could use a little shoring up but still does it's job...and one window pull up string ripped the card board a little on the west side ...duct tape fix..easy breezy...how many years now? 5-6 I think this year.......took a doe  last year and a big Tom this spring from it...I have to post some new pics....

Now all that card board I bought for the other blinds ...still in storage...wood for walls as well....... older I get slower I get...lol...besides I'm at Mr B.'s mercy when it comes to getting supplies...I can't drive the company truck(insurance)...and have the Marqi. Though I may just put my Kayak carrier to work...hhhmmm just thought of that...

Gosh I'm still working on getting the last 400ft of fencing up...will do another 1-2 hundred ft this summer

I got my start hanging off the side of trees from home made wood stands. The big platforms and railings helped me overcome my fear of heights.

The last time I stepped on a wooden stand I fell through the deck and the only thing that stopped me from hitting the ground was a 2x4 floor support I managed to grab with my nut sack on my way down.

That was the LAST TIME I ever step foot on a wooden stand! :punish:

i pull all my portables everyyear and check cables,metal joints and straps and seats, the permant stands i have have been very effective and are checked every year. my nephews started hunting as did a few wives and girlfriends, they like the big perm stands better and most are big enough for 2 people comfortably. I would never go in a perm stand that wasnt checked though. and by checked i mean wood, nails and attachment points gone over very well. while safety strapped in . or by the tractor loader pulling or pushing down on on them.