Tracking Advice

gbj

Took my 15 year old grandson last second trip tonight. At 4:15 I see a nice buck look at him he’s sleeping I get his attention and tell him get ready, I grunt he’s on a rope comes in quick 10 yard shot looked perfect blood was flying instant so we’re celebrating as the deer stops at about 40 yards . I thought he was dropping but he stood there in the brush I watching blood pouring out of him for 10 minutes then he slowly walked I thought I heard him lay down. It didn’t look far enough back for liver but maybe. The blood picture was where he hit him blood was everywhere.

A3AB0C08-6707-4C2C-A5C7-5688D43909B5.jpeg

2 minutes ago, gbj said:

He’s at wrestling now going out at 8:30 be 4 hours see what happens. Didn’t look like liver at all to me honestly I thought he double lunged him it looked perfect till he stood there 10 minutes 

Good luck..Sounds like a dead deer..

You said, "came up on him bedded down" but you also said you don't know where he went and he didn't run.  Are you sure you bumped him?  He may have gotten up on is own.

Get someone with a dog.  Honestly, it looks like bright red, watery blood to me and I am leaning with a low hit.

Edited by LetEmGrow

7 hours ago, LetEmGrow said:

You said, "came up on him bedded down" but you also said you don't know where he went and he didn't run.  Are you sure you bumped him?  He may have gotten up on is own.

Get someone with a dog.  Honestly, it looks like bright red, watery blood to me and I am leaning with a low hit.

We got within 40 yards when the light hit him he’d drop his head to the ground so we shut the lights off while we were standing there he got up definitely didn’t run we would have heard him but we also found no more blood

Dead deer.  If he just stayed there lifting and lowering his head instead of bolting when you guys found him.  

looking at the lower picture he either had stood up and layer down again in same bed or is bleeding out both sides. 

if you snuck back out quietly after bumping him, I’ll bet you find him dead and n his next bed within 100 yards or so.  Again, if you did not push him last night.  

Good luck.  Looks like you will get him to me.  

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, gbj said:

We got within 40 yards when the light hit him he’d drop his head to the ground so we shut the lights off while we were standing there he got up definitely didn’t run we would have heard him but we also found no more blood

Yeah, that definitely changes things if you saw him and he did that.  He probably didn't go far before laying down again. 

HEs dead, go in today and ge thim. when they stop like that they are either single lunch or liver hit or both. Especially if you jumped him within 100 yards. sounds like liver hit. Some will be alove 12 hour slate, some dead in an hour or two. Go slow, and look for him bedded. he may go 20 yards and bed back down or 200 and bed back down. try to think if what way deer use the area , go slow and be observant. Keep us posted. 

We just went through this the last 2 days, with no luck on a deer we are very certain that should be succumbed to his wounds.